Default Victoria Falls from Kasane, better by Zambia or by Zimbabwe?

Hi everyone,

At the end of November, after having visited several national parks in Botswana, my wife and I will arrive in Kasane. From there we would like to go for two days to Victoria Falls and return to continue our journey to Namibia through Caprivi.

I would like you to advise me if it is better to go through Zambia or Zimbabwe.

In 2009 and 2011 I did it through Zambia and the border procedures were very exhausting and slow. I think that now with the new bridge the procedures have not improved. So I thought that for Zimbabwe it would be something more comfortable.

I would greatly appreciate your comments.

Best regards

Default Re: Victoria Falls from Kasane, better by Zambia or by Zimbabwe?

A good option is to do a daytrip from kasane using a guide, really takes the hassle and cost out of the border crossings, i have details of a well priced and good guide

if you are planning to stay for 2 days in Zimbabwe buy water in Botswana.

Quote Originally Posted by Kariba View Post
    A good option is to do a daytrip from kasane using a guide, really takes the hassle and cost out of the border crossings, i have details of a well priced and good guide
    It sure is a good option. But he planned to spend an afternoon at the Devil's Pool and watch the Zambezi sunset. So at least I would like to spend a night in Livingston or Victoria Falls.

We are in Livingstone now. Crossing to the Zimbabwe took us 10 min max on foot. They even did not want to see vaccination certificate and PCR tests. Returning to Zambia just stamped our passports, no PCR test or whatsoever.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to schwott For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by schwott View Post
    We are in Livingstone now. Crossing to the Zimbabwe took us 10 min max on foot. They even did not want to see vaccination certificate and PCR tests. Returning to Zambia just stamped our passports, no PCR test or whatsoever.
    Thanks for your kind reply.
    I understand that you are not driving your car on yourselves.
    We travel by rental car from Johannesburg and I donīt know how the customs procedures are in Zimbabwe with the vehicle.

How did you travel from the border in Kazangula to Livinstone?

We are in rental vehicles from JNB as well touring Zambia. We just did not want to bring the vehicles to Zimbabwe.

Kazungula process is tiresome. If you are a novice I would recommend you to hire fixer for 10$ to smooth the crossborder.

I know that the process in Kazangula to enter Zambia is tedious because I already went through it in 2009 and 2011, so I wanted to know what it was like for Zimbabwe.
    So I understand that you are in Livingstone with your rental cars and you have only crossed the Zimbabwe border on foot to see the falls, is that right?

Where did you cross the Zambian border? did it take you a long time?

Thanks again

Our delivery drivers crossed at Kazungula bridge. They were able to make only provisional papers for one vehicle only as the "real" drivers must be present at the border themselves. So in fact we did the same procedure twice. Not too complicated if you are well prepared (Phoenix insurance online in advance, Interpol clearance, authorization letter from rental company etc.) but still slow pace.

Zimbabwe is easy in Pandamantenga and Matsiloje, but still probably closed. Other border posts (Kazungula, Zam/Zim bridge, Plumtree, Beitbridge) you have to pay CVG (about 70-100$) for rental vehicle.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to schwott For This Useful Post:

The day before yesterday we wanted to cross the bridge to Zim with just vaccination certificate. We were refused on Zam side, probably could go through with some "Money for breakfast". Today we have already our fresh PCR test with us.
    Last edited by schwott; 2021/09/26 at 07:12 AM.

The day before yesterday we wanted to cross the bridge to Zim with just vaccination certificate. We were refused on Zam side, probably could go through with some "Money for breakfast". Today we have already our fresh PCR test with us.
    Schwott - perhaps I am thick, but can you clarify your experience walking across the bridge for a day visit, I don't understand your two different posts. We have friends that will be in Livingstone soon and are hoping to make a day visit to Zimbabwe and are trying to understand the rules. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    Schwott - perhaps I am thick, but can you clarify your experience walking across the bridge for a day visit, I don't understand your two different posts. We have friends that will be in Livingstone soon and are hoping to make a day visit to Zimbabwe and are trying to understand the rules. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
    It is Africa, so every crossing of the bridge was unique. It needs to be mentioned we have Kaza visa which allows you unlimited crossing from Zam to Zim and vice versa. And day trips to Botswana.
    1. 5.9. - No documents needed on both sides.
    2. 24.9. - PCR test was required on Zam side, we were refused without it to cross to Zim.
    3. 26.9. - Valid PCR test was required and stamped on both sides.

Vaccination certificate was not asked for in any mentioned crossings.

Remember, this time of the year the Zam side of falls is dry, Ngonye falls are much better.

Microlight is done from Zam side, they are not allowed to cross to Zim. So you will see just dry side, but still good experience. $170 was the best price I was able to get ($185 the official price)

Helicopters are much cheaper from Zim side, you can negotiate around $130 and less if more people are flying. They cover both Zim and Zam territory.

Curio market just bellow the rails in VF town is huge and sellers are desperate to sell anything.