Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Portable Solar Panels

By the way your video is not sloppy at all as it shows the basics of shade influences.

By the way have you done a similar video on the foldable panel? If so please share.

I hope those spotty clouds bring us some rain. Another question, what is the width of the foldable when it is in the bag? I assume the 8mm listed on the product spreadsheet is the width of the panel out of the bag.

Thanx in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    By the way your video is not sloppy at all as it shows the basics of shade influences.

By the way have you done a similar video on the foldable panel? If so please share.
    Thanks. Unfortunately I do not have access to the foldable one.
    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

Haval H9 2.0T AWD
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4
    Ex 2017 Ranger DC XL Auto 4x4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PsyPhin For This Useful Post:

Your Price is very good. Bought a 200w blanket a month ago for R7500.
    Francois

Quote Originally Posted by PsyPhin View Post
    Thanks. Unfortunately I do not have access to the foldable one.
    Thanx for all your insights.

Maybe Dogbert can comment or have details on the foldable panel. Yes the prices are good.

I've got a mate who has been keeping his eyes out for these as he wanted to buy the last time when they were available, but C&C ran out of stock. Following Dogbert's post and then Fluffy's recommendation (!) we both bought the blanket from the C&C website. It arrived this week, no hassles and as promised.

Although it is described as a "blanket", it is actually quite solid, nearly like panels of perspex (in my uninformed mind I had visons of something shiny & a bit thicker than a space blanket!) and fits tightly inside the cover. The cabling looks solid and well joined with the plugs and where it connects to the panels is inside the "bag", so a bit out of the elements. The overall impression is of something well made and put together. The solar controller looks a bit flimsy but as long as it works it's fine. I have not used or tested it and hardly understand these things so cannot comment on its performance, but just from a quality of package point of view I am very happy with the purchase.

Hope this helps someone.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to walkabout For This Useful Post:

I purchased the solid (folding) panel, and a friend who purchased the fold up blanket. I used them both on the same weekend. The fold up blanket is very tempting because it is so compact, and lighter. but in use the solid fold up panel is much easier to position, reposition through the day etc.

I had each of them plugged in via their solar controller (supplied) to a battery. they both worked well, but the solid version definitely pushed out more power. possibly because it was positioned and angled more optimally. But, they each kept the battery topped up to 100% over a 4 night trip, each battery running a fridge and lights and so on. I was very impressec.

At the price (R3700), almost impossible to beat!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JAB For This Useful Post:

"There has been talk on the forum in the past of vibration killing these flexible panels over time, but it's not as if you drive with your caravan on gravel roads for 365 days of the year."

Vibrations are not just from driving on dirt roads.
    It also happens due to windflow over and under the panel.
    It starts as a small vibration but can become serious flapping with speed.
    Hope you kwim.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Thanx for your reply PsyPhin I get it. Did you look up JJ’s YouTube video. I have 3X 12V 80W - each about 8kg panels and 1X 48V 240W - about 22kg panel which operate (as explained in your post) in the shade with lesser efficiency depending on the amount of shade.

The Waeco blanket referred to and reviewed in the other link shuts down if one of the sections is completely covered.

I am now looking at getting a lighter and/or smaller option similar to the products advertised. Thus my query is specific to verify that the “blanket” works with one section closed off. Clarification to this will be greatly appreciated.
    From googling, I understand the following:

The other thread compared mono and poly chrystaline solar panels. There are differences in price, efficiency, colour, lifespan and the ability to maintain output when they get hot. Each panel has an array of cells.

The blanket uses a thin film process to deposit the silicon on a substrate, and each panel consists of a SINGLE cell.

So partly covering a panel, affects the COMPLETE panel, where partly covering one of the above technology panels, only affects a CELL.

This means, theoretically, that a 6-panel blanket should be less affected than a 3-panel, as you are covering a smaller percentage of total cells.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2021/10/04 at 08:53 AM.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    I wonder if one of the blankets will survive permanently mounted on the roof of a caravan? There has been talk on the forum in the past of vibration killing these flexible panels over time, but it's not as if you drive with your caravan on gravel roads for 365 days of the year.

Also wonder how one would mount it, usually you want to leave a gap under panels for airflow, but with this it would be tempting to secure it directly on to the roof for a low profile and wind resistance.
    Blanket and foldable panels are definitely not meant to be permanently mounted!

Semi Flexible panels and that discussion are something completely different.

Semi flexible panels usually gets glued to hard shell RTT, caravan roofs or even canopies.

Here are some examples.

https://4x4direct.co.za/flexible-sol...lar-panel.html

https://www.sustainable.co.za/flexop...top-panel.html
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    From googling, I understand the following:

The other thread compared mono and poly chrystaline solar panels. There are differences in price, efficiency, colour, lifespan and the ability to maintain output when they get hot. Each panel has an array of cells.

The blanket uses a thin film process to deposit the silicon on a substrate, and each panel consists of a SINGLE cell.

So partly covering a panel, affects the COMPLETE panel, where partly covering one of the above technology panels, only affects a CELL.

This means, theoretically, that a 6-panel blanket should be less affected than a 3-panel, as you are covering a smaller percentage of total cells.
    Nope. Just the opposite.

Thin film is the most tolerant of shading. It's their biggest +factor.

Shading a portion of panel will drop power proportionally, and wont effect the voltage. You would have to shade the entire panel to stop generation.

Thin Film also performs better in the heat, up to 66% less losses, and are near indestructible because there are no connections between individual cells as per mono and poly.

https://www.pveurope.eu/solar-genera...at-and-shading
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2021/10/04 at 10:44 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

JJJ

Hi all. Thank you for yet another informative and topical thread. I inquired at C&C (Centurion) and it seems that they will have new stock in about a week's time. Apparently the product comes with a +/- 5m cable. Can anyone comment if this cable can be extended, or replaced with a longer cable, and if so, how much longer before you start losing efficiency? Also, can anyone comment on hooking up this panel to a National Luna DC25 with built-in MPPT (the Greenbox)?

Longer cables gives you more options.

I have a 10m of 4 sqr mm and a 20m of 6 sqr mm cable for each of my panels.

It just makes things easier.

Buy or make some longer ones.

The National Luna will be good with that blanket panel.

Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2021/10/04 at 05:46 PM.
    Conqueror Courage 2016

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prado269 View Post
    Hi all. Thank you for yet another informative and topical thread. I inquired at C&C (Centurion) and it seems that they will have new stock in about a week's time. Apparently the product comes with a +/- 5m cable. Can anyone comment if this cable can be extended, or replaced with a longer cable, and if so, how much longer before you start losing efficiency? Also, can anyone comment on hooking up this panel to a National Luna DC25 with built-in MPPT (the Greenbox)?
    https://www.bushpower.co.za/product/extension-cable-10m

https://www.bushpower.co.za/product/extension-cable-20m

https://www.bushpower.co.za/product/extension-cable-30m

https://www.livestainable.co.za/prod...SABEgJlD_D_BwE

https://www.livestainable.co.za/prod...SABEgJlD_D_BwE

https://flexopower.co.za/collections...32331801788556

https://www.campcraft.co.za/product/...ion-cable-10m/
    Conqueror Courage 2016

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Hi all, not sure if anyone is still watching this thread. I bought one of these Eigar Solar Blankets from Camp and Climb which is the cheapest one around that I have found.

I have tested in my driveway but havent been away on a trip yet to test it properly.

One issue I did not consider is that there is no way to stand it up to face the sun at the proper angle.

So you would have to drape the solar blanket over a car window or a tree or something. This is not really that practical at places like Mabibi, where I might need to put the solar blanket 20m away from my Bushlapa and the car would be parked on the camp site.

Has anyone seen or made a stand for a solar blanket like this? I found the below idea by Googling but seems like a hassle to have to take it apart for transport each time and put it back together like a puzzle each time.

Name:  d094d47e-3873-4233-80e1-636ddc8789b7.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  431.7 KB
    Last edited by nicksteroonie; 2021/10/13 at 10:49 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicksteroonie For This Useful Post:

Hi nicksterronie, thanks for this idea, it is just pvc piping so can't be too difficult to DIY? Unfortunately that is the downfall of something so flexible & smaller storage footprint.

I bought the same unit by the way so interested to hear any other suggestions.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to walkabout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    Hi nicksterronie, thanks for this idea, it is just pvc piping so can't be too difficult to DIY? Unfortunately that is the downfall of something so flexible & smaller storage footprint.

I bought the same unit by the way so interested to hear any other suggestions.
    I would definitely like to see it attached to the frame and pegged to the ground, for wind.
    Conqueror Courage 2016

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

I am in the market for a 150 to 200w flexible panel. The Flexopower products are 150W Namib and 150W Mojawe.
    Difference in price. What is the difference between these two?

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2