Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
Results 261 to 270 of 270
  1. #261
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanked: 4256

    Default Re: Portable Solar Panels

    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Sitting on the Zambezi and the Eigar has failed in the African sun on the 1st trip. You get what you pay for and this seems to be rubbish.
    Looks like a puncture and air got in? Or did the plastic melt?
    "K.a.k Wheeler"

    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

    GWM P Series 4x4 Limited
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4, 2017 XL Auto 4x4, Ex Haval H9
    Ex 320d, Maz MPS, CITI Golf, Anglia Van

  2. #262
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greenstone
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanked: 454

    Default Re: Portable Solar Panels

    It has been used for 3 days now in fairly shady conditions and worked perfectly and today we got the first proper sun and voltage from it just dropped to zero and after inspecting it found this issue.

    I would say the heat. Definitely no impact though possibly a manufacturing issue made worse by the heat.
    Last edited by Byron; 2024/04/02 at 01:13 PM.
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:


  4. #263
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Glenvista
    Age
    59
    Posts
    376
    Thanked: 122

    Default Re: Portable Solar Panels

    I managed to buy a second hand 200W that works pretty well for me. It however came without the support rods/thingies to put it up at an angle. Any idea where I can buy these support rods separately?
    Basil Peetz
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Overland
    2021 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

  5. #264
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greenstone
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanked: 454

    Default Re: Portable Solar Panels

    Quote Originally Posted by Basil Peetz View Post
    I managed to buy a second hand 200W that works pretty well for me. It however came without the support rods/thingies to put it up at an angle. Any idea where I can buy these support rods separately?
    I'm going back to a rigid panel. I have 200watt glass panels now that have saved my ass.

    I'll get another set of 200watt to replace this turd.
    Last edited by Byron; 2024/04/02 at 01:28 PM.
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

  6. #265
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    S-West/Stellenbosch
    Age
    50
    Posts
    619
    Thanked: 236

    Default Re: Portable Solar Panels

    What did the supplier/retailer say?

  7. #266
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greenstone
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanked: 454

    Default Re: Portable Solar Panels

    Quote Originally Posted by Serious? View Post
    What did the supplier/retailer say?
    I'll see next week when I get back. It was bought online from Camp&Climb so maybe Dogbert can give his input ?

    But i will update when I have more feedback though. Will happily send it in for them to take a look at as well.

    I wasn't using there cheapy controller but it was plugged into a Victron MPPT so doubt it could be related to that. It looks like it has melted.
    Last edited by Byron; 2024/04/03 at 11:10 AM.
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

  8. #267
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanked: 4256

    Default Re: Portable Solar Panels

    It really does look melted but the surrounding panel seems fine. They all had the same exposure, odd.

    Is it still supplying power? I can imagine that little piece would cut the overall panel by around 25% unless it broke a series connection. You should still be getting at least 50% from it.
    "K.a.k Wheeler"

    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

    GWM P Series 4x4 Limited
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4, 2017 XL Auto 4x4, Ex Haval H9
    Ex 320d, Maz MPS, CITI Golf, Anglia Van

  9. #268
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greenstone
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanked: 454

    Default Re: Portable Solar Panels

    Quote Originally Posted by PsyPhin View Post
    It really does look melted but the surrounding panel seems fine. They all had the same exposure, odd.

    Is it still supplying power? I can imagine that little piece would cut the overall panel by around 25% unless it broke a series connection. You should still be getting at least 50% from it.
    Zero output because it is in series. Mate here has the solar blanket and seems to be working alright.
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

  10. #269
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    847
    Thanked: 400

    Default Re: Portable Solar Panels

    H there, please take the panel back to one of our shops so it can go back to the supplier, or expedite things by sending directly to our hq:
    Unit 3, De Waal Park, 60 Greenville Road, Diep River Town, 7800, Tel: 061 344-3656
    We will get it tested and sorted!

    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I'll see next week when I get back. It was bought online from Camp&Climb so maybe Dogbert can give his input ?

    But i will update when I have more feedback though. Will happily send it in for them to take a look at as well.

    I wasn't using there cheapy controller but it was plugged into a Victron MPPT so doubt it could be related to that. It looks like it has melted.
    John - '04 Prado V6


    CENTURION
    012-665-2079 e-mail RANDBURG 010-630-0210 e-mail
    BELLVILLE 021-949-0039 email PAARDEN EILAND 021-510-8112 e-mail

    Shop Securely Online at www.outdoorshop.co.za - Please contact the shops directly for fast service!

  11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dogbert For This Useful Post:


  12. #270
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greenstone
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanked: 454

    Default Re: Portable Solar Panels

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    H there, please take the panel back to one of our shops so it can go back to the supplier, or expedite things by sending directly to our hq:
    Unit 3, De Waal Park, 60 Greenville Road, Diep River Town, 7800, Tel: 061 344-3656
    We will get it tested and sorted!
    Thanks, John. I appreciate the offer.

    I have just arrived back in JNB and will arrange for Courier Guy to collect it on Monday and send it to your head office.
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •