Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Default Re: Portable Solar Panels

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    We need to know where you are measuring 4A, at what voltage and under what conditions.

Also remember that the panel will only deliver what the load needs. So, in full sunlight the current will be 0A into a fully charged battery.

Panel testing is complex and not for sissies.
    Thank you. I am new to this and learning by the hour. We have a summit trailer that has an HCDP MK7S SYSTEM so we don't use a controller as I understand that the controller is built in? But if we measure the voltage with multimeter it's around 20volts.The battery is pretty flat but not completely flat. We measured mid day in Joburg. Clear skies with very little haze. 101ah battery. 5 m Extention cable that came with the panel with bh connectors. Does this help?

What is your battery voltage according to your multimeter?

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Just a basic troubleshoot:

Note: Connect panel to battery and then expose panel to sunlight.

If it appears the panel is not generating:

1) Check battery is not already fully charged, as the panel will then generate nothing;
    2) Check all connections for looseness/moisture;
    3) This panel includes a controller, and should be connected to a battery - any other controller/charger/system between the panel and the battery may cause problems - bypass one of them;
    4) Check for physical damage.

We have had only a few of these back, and generally it is due to one of the above, especially (1).
    John - '04 Prado V6

CENTURION
    012-665-2079 e-mail RANDBURG 010-630-0210 e-mail
    BELLVILLE 021-949-0039 email PAARDEN EILAND 021-510-8112 e-mail

Shop Securely Online at www.outdoorshop.co.za - Please contact the shops directly for fast service!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dogbert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post

1) Check battery is not already fully charged, as the panel will then generate nothing;
    3) This panel includes a controller, and should be connected to a battery - any other controller/charger/system between the panel and the battery may cause problems - bypass one of them;
    Yes these HCDP panels need a certain minimum input voltage to work, so incase of bad connection or too thin cable the volt drop will be too much and then it will continuously start and stop charging, and not charging effectively.
    Last edited by JLK; 2023/08/30 at 07:53 AM.
    Johan Kriel

I would bupass the HCDP panel and connect directly to the battery using the built in controller of the panel.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

I bought the exact same panels and they work a charm with the controller supplied with the kit. I am also new to these so I am also still learning the how to and the other little details.
    HENK

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post
    I bought the exact same panels and they work a charm with the controller supplied with the kit. I am also new to these so I am also still learning the how to and the other little details.
    What do you connect it too?

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    I would bupass the HCDP panel and connect directly to the battery using the built in controller of the panel.
    Yes but the panel is very useful in running the rest of the trailer system from. But I will connect it directly to the battery to test it. Also my understanding is that the HCDP panel controller is doing exactly what the other controller is doing?

We have had only a few of these back, and generally it is due to one of the above, especially (1).
    Thank you. We have checked all of those. Will check it by connecting straight to the battery. But that is not ideal as we use the HCDP panel to run all the electrics in the trailer. Before purchasing we did our research and a few people mentioned that they use controllers other than the one that it comes with.

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post
    Also how many Amps do you get out on average. Mid day?

Another thought:

I have a different product also supplied with a controller.

The connectors from controller to battery and from controller to the panel do both have the BH plug.
    So one day in the bush I mistakenly connected them wrongly, got some funny readings on the controller, no damage done.
    So going through the manual and verifying the connections resolved the issue.
    There is also a sequence of steps to be followed, for example connect to battery first to allow the controller to ID the battery type, then to the panel to boot up.

If the panels are connected prior to the battery then to controller gets confused.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbulls View Post
    Yes but the panel is very useful in running the rest of the trailer system from. But I will connect it directly to the battery to test it. Also my understanding is that the HCDP panel controller is doing exactly what the other controller is doing?
    Hi Bullbulls

The panels have their own controller. If you connect the output of that controller to you HCDP controller it will (probably) not work well. A controller normally expects a higher input voltage from the panel than what it provides to the battery at its output.

If you want to connect to the HCDP you should remove the controller that came with the panel. I did that but it requires modification of the connections which probably voids your warranty.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by jcdup; 2023/08/30 at 02:47 PM.
    Johann
    Prado 2.8 VX-L
    Bush Lapa Ratel 4i

\o/

Quote Originally Posted by jcdup View Post
    Hi Bullbulls

The panels have their own controller. If you connect the output of that controller to you HCDP controller it will (probably) not work well. A controller normally expects a higher input voltage from the panel than what it provides to the battery at its output.

If you want to connect to the HCDP you should remove the controller that came with the panel. I did that but it requires modification of the connections which probably voids your warranty.

Hope this helps
    Bypassing or replacing the included controller will not void the warrantee, this model comes with a very basic controller and upgrading to MPPT or bypassing is no problem.
    John - '04 Prado V6

CENTURION

Shop Securely Online at www.outdoorshop.co.za - Please contact the shops directly for fast service!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dogbert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Another thought:

I have a different product also supplied with a controller.

The connectors from controller to battery and from controller to the panel do both have the BH plug.
    So one day in the bush I mistakenly connected them wrongly, got some funny readings on the controller, no damage done.
    So going through the manual and verifying the connections resolved the issue.
    There is also a sequence of steps to be followed, for example connect to battery first to allow the controller to ID the battery type, then to the panel to boot up.

If the panels are connected prior to the battery then to controller gets confused.
    Thank you. I have read this. But I am not sure how to do this with the HCDP panel as it is all integrated and automatically detect solar. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jcdup View Post
    Hi Bullbulls

Hope this helps
    The controller is a seperate unit so we can easily connect to HCDP panel without using the supplied controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbulls View Post
    Thank you. I have read this. But I am not sure how to do this with the HCDP panel as it is all integrated and automatically detect solar. Thoughts?
    Simply keep the panel closed while connecting, then expose to the sun.
    John - '04 Prado V6

CENTURION

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dogbert For This Useful Post:

Also bought the cruiser model a few month ago and used over the school holiday in the Richtersveld. Only managed to get 4 amps or about 52 watts measured through a victron shunt connected to a NL dc-dc charger or to the supplied charge controller. Battery was anywhere from 50% to 90%.
    Tested for a dead panel but covering each panel dropped the wattage equally.
    Last edited by l3ok; 2023/10/11 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by l3ok View Post
    Also bought the cruiser model a few month ago and used over the school holiday in the Richtersveld. Only managed to get 4 amps or about 52 watts measured through a victron shunt connected to a NL dc-dc charger or to the supplied charge controller. Battery was anywhere from 50% to 90%.
    Tested for a dead panel but covering each panel dropped the wattage equally.
    The simple test is the Cruiser + supplied controller to battery that needs charge. In full sun you should get 6-10A. Connect first then expose the panel to the sun.
    John - '04 Prado V6

CENTURION

Thumbs down Re: Portable Solar Panels

The simple test is the Cruiser + supplied controller to battery that needs charge. In full sun you should get 6-10A. Connect first then expose the panel to the sun.
    Sorry message was maybe a bit confusing. It was tested that way. I tested with both the supplied controller and the NL one and got the same results. 4A at most.

Quote Originally Posted by l3ok View Post
    Sorry message was maybe a bit confusing. It was tested that way. I tested with both the supplied controller and the NL one and got the same results. 4A at most.
    Get it to us and we'll have it tested for you
    John - '04 Prado V6

CENTURION

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast