Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Default Re: Portable Solar Panels

Quote Originally Posted by l3ok View Post
    Also bought the cruiser model a few month ago and used over the school holiday in the Richtersveld. Only managed to get 4 amps or about 52 watts measured through a victron shunt connected to a NL dc-dc charger or to the supplied charge controller. Battery was anywhere from 50% to 90%.
    Tested for a dead panel but covering each panel dropped the wattage equally.
    That is exactly what we get and we also tested for a dead panel. In taking it to someone to test it to see if we are missing something we lost our controller 😭 not that we need it as out trailer has a built-in. But now we can not return it. 🙄 So we are counting it as a dud purchase and would not recommend these panels to anyone. #schoolfees

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbulls View Post
    That is exactly what we get and we also tested for a dead panel. In taking it to someone to test it to see if we are missing something we lost our controller 😭 not that we need it as out trailer has a built-in. But now we can not return it. 🙄 So we are counting it as a dud purchase and would not recommend these panels to anyone. #schoolfees
    Send it to me at the HQ and I will sort it out:
    Camp & Climb
    Unit 3, De Waal Park, 60 Greenville Road, Diep River, Cape Town 021 5550363

The systems are very simple and robust, and don't go wrong -so you could always do the following quick troubleshoot before sending:

Do not expose the panel to the sun while connecting;
    Ensure you battery is NOT fully charged;
    Connect panel to battery via a charge controller so the controller can see the SOC of the battery;
    Then expose the panels to the sun.

If it shows a low Amp then most likely the battery is fully charged.

The charge controller that comes with the system is not expensive, if you are unable to find one then no problem we will still be able to help you
    John - '04 Prado V6

CENTURION
    012-665-2079 e-mail RANDBURG 010-630-0210 e-mail
    BELLVILLE 021-949-0039 email PAARDEN EILAND 021-510-8112 e-mail

Shop Securely Online at www.outdoorshop.co.za - Please contact the shops directly for fast service!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dogbert For This Useful Post:

So to close the loop, two panels were taken back to camp and climb and then tested. Feedback was that the panels tested "just" below 5A and "just" above 5A and that it is deemed to be enough.
    Based on that, in hindsight i would rather have opted for something like a RedArc 200W panel which delivered 11.5A in the same conditions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to l3ok For This Useful Post:

So to close the loop, two panels were taken back to camp and climb and then tested. Feedback was that the panels tested "just" below 5A and "just" above 5A and that it is deemed to be enough.
    Based on that, in hindsight i would rather have opted for something like a RedArc 200W panel which delivered 11.5A in the same conditions.
    11.5A from a 200W panel, that is good if it is true.

I have a 120w Flexopower panel - gives me 4.5A charge at 17V
    I have got a 240W Flexopower panel - gives me me just under 10A charge

I haven't used the 240W on a camp as yet, just testing at home, but found that the stated VMP voltage on the panel is 22.8V and 10.5A
    In testing I could get max 19.1V and 9.85A

What does VMP voltage mean compared to what you are really getting out in real life?

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 SC V8
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

I kind of recall getting about 6A out of my 120W Flexopower panel when new, 4 years ago, but unable to obtain it now?

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 SC V8
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

Let's ignore manufacturers' test results under ideal (maybe lab?) conditions which remind be rather like the miles per litre motor industry fuel economy tests! I have never achieved what was claimed for my car.

What I have learnt since camping with solar from 2011 is that the quality of the solar panel cells varies depending on the price and brand. The panels are designed at a price point and I would not expect the cheaper panels with less expensive components to perform as well. Redarc mentioned earlier for instance is an expensive brand with very good performance and maybe an unfair comparison.

Overall most consumers don't know what they are buying and seemingly rely on test ratings. One of the companies which does disclose the info is Sunpower - a colleague recently bought one of their panels and it stipulated the cell technology - "Maxeon GenIII Me3bin solar cells" - he knew he was buying excellent performance! (https://us.sunpower.com/company/history).

Some sellers specify two ranges - their top and then an economy range. Flexopower - a long time solar supplier in South Africa - for instance has its top Mojave panels and then the Namib series.

The other grey area with portable panels is that few of the sellers spec what their IP (waterproof) rating is! Can you leave them out in the rain even for a short period? What happens if you go for a walk and it rains? I was intrigued the other day to find that EcoFlow is actually specifying that its 160W panel is waterproof! -
    "due to a seamless, one-piece design, making it ideal for outdoor activities like camping and hiking." Most of the EcoFlow panels are rated IP68. You will find that some companies will say "can withstand harsh conditions" without detailing what this implies!

Overall before buying solar do your homework and consult widely among our forum.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

I got about 7.5A max from Flexopower Namib 150W panel at the GTG last weekend, pretty much the same as two 85W glass/aluminium would give me.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faniedup For This Useful Post:

That is right on spec! Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    I got about 7.5A max from Flexopower Namib 150W panel at the GTG last weekend, pretty much the same as two 85W glass/aluminium would give me.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    2 September 2022 - QUICK UPDATE! Back in Stock.

Take the power with you - a choice of two powerful solar panel solutions!

Eiger 200W Folding Solar Panel
    Eiger 200W Solar Blanket

Attachment 630574Attachment 630575
    Finding it difficult to choose?
    Both have their pro's and cons...
    The Folding panel is easy to set up as it is a solid, self-supporting structure with adjustable stand. It is heavier and takes up more space. If you have a caravan/trailer then this one is for you.
    The blanket is for those who want a more compact solution. It cannot support itself so needs to lay on the ground, across your vehicle or tent etc.

Can anyone please provide feedback on the quality and performance over time of the Eiger Solar Panel Blanket 200W ?

Quote Originally Posted by PieterA View Post
    Can anyone please provide feedback on the quality and performance over time of the Eiger Solar Panel Blanket 200W ?
    I have their 200W folding hard panel, not the blanket, and that works great!
    2012 Nissan Navara DC 2,5DCi 4x4 AT
    (SOLD) 2002 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    1982 BMW R100RT

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DeonStr For This Useful Post:

Getting the Eiger 200w blanket tomorrow. Hope the Bellville store has stock
    2019 Pajero Sport 2.4 4x4
    Echo 2 Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Thanks! They do, and it now comes with a MPPT charge controller
    John - '04 Prado V6

CENTURION

Shop Securely Online at www.outdoorshop.co.za - Please contact the shops directly for fast service!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dogbert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Cost?
    2014 Hilux D4D dc 4x4
    2013 Metalian Maxi

Quote Originally Posted by KrokODell View Post
    Cost?
    Currently R4995
    John - '04 Prado V6

CENTURION

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    Currently R4995
    What kind of wattage can I expect from the 200w blanket?

Do they contain glass or do they have that carbon fiber / ETFE finish?

Any micro cracking properties?

Reason I ask is that I have a flexopower mojave 220w that still looks like new after 3 years, but never got more than 174w out of it.

I don't know if I should get these 2x 200w blankets or foldable ones or just another one of those new Namibs 240 / Mojave 260's and serial connect it? I like to purchase quality stuff that last, but then again, I also don't want to purchase for opportunity shopper.

My average aim is 380-400w.
    Epever 3210N 30A 12/24 with Bluetooth Monitoring.
    Last edited by antonCPT; 2023/12/17 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antonCPT View Post
    Reason I ask is that I have a flexopower mojave 220w that still looks like new after 3 years, but never got more than 174w out of it.
    174W (79%) is quit good for good sunny day and the battery can absorb it. With another one will give you 350W.
    Last edited by JLK; 2023/12/17 at 05:48 PM.
    Johan Kriel

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    174W (79%) is quit good for good sunny day and the battery can absorb it. With another one will give you 350W.
    Yes, look the mojave is the definate purchase, but if I can get 200w blankets for the same price that will actually be better.

I just don't want to purchase 2x 200w's Eigers and get 80-100w single or 160-200w with both. There are mixed results under this forum topic. If it can atleast do 150w - 160w per panel then I will give it a go. Also take into account there will be a degration in wattage, with usage over months or years if they bend and crack. That is what I like about the Mojaves as they counter this, but for something where I do completely offgrid camping once or twice a year, I want to keep the investment low, but long lasting. Because solar panels should last 25 years, flexible ones around 12. I don't want to purchase ones that will degrade beyond use in year 3.

I am also looking at the Ecoflows, because they get near on the dot advertise wattage. Like the 110 ecoflows gets between 100-110 in ideal conditions. There is a few videos on youtube. They are way underrated. But then again all the branded 100's, 110's are doing great from the other brands like Bluetti, Jackery. But the problem with this is, I also don't want a scenario with setting up 5x small panels for every camp and look like a solar farm.

My questions is.
    The quality of the Eigers. The material they are made off, because the online info is limited.
    Can I chuck them on my bat wing awnings and leave them there for a few days?
    What the average to max wattage I can expect out of them?
    What is the rebranded name in Australia, because maybe I can find some reviews on them? Because if they are the same as the KINGS, then I got my answer.
    Last edited by antonCPT; 2023/12/17 at 08:32 PM.

It is a bit odd that camp and climb deemed 5A to be enough out of a 200w blanket, 5A is def not enough, I would either ask for an exchange (you might have dud panels) or a refund.

I'm also interested, can these blankets be run in series? and has anyone tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by woogs View Post
    I'm also interested, can these blankets be run in series? and has anyone tried it?
    Yes, why not, provided you controller can also take it.
    Last edited by JLK; 2024/01/08 at 03:06 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast