Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Ethical or Unethical

Scenario:

Colleague wants to buy a stock brand new Toyota Prado from a JHB Toyota Dealer. They have two in stock so send him an OTP with a R50K extra on top of the website Toyota price. He queries this so they tell him he can take it or leave it as they know they will sell them at a premium due to demand.

I told him to tell them to stick their Prado as far as it will fit!

This to me is gross exploitation, greed, despicable and underhanded.

I have since spoken to the DP's of 3 Toyota Dealers and they are actually shocked by this and have recommended we take this up with Toyota HQ.
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ethical or Unethical

The price is probably advertised as the RSP: Recommended Selling Price.

"All calculations made on calculators supplied, together with rates quoted, are guidelines only and are subject to confirmation at the time of finalising any transactions. All information regarding the products, fees and/or costs which are included in and form a fundamental basis of the calculations are subject to change at any time prior to a final pre-agreement quote being handed to the User."

So basically they can charge what the market will absorb within their legal guidelines?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

As far as I know Toyota sets a recommended retail price, only recommended, if dealers can give discounts at their own discretion, they can probably also add markup at their own discretion.

Supply and demand, willing buyer and all that, at least they were honest with him. Sounds like they'll be fine with him possibly getting it cheaper next door and also possibly losing a customer for life.

Tell him to go to a different dealer, tell them these guys have 2 in stock, maybe they can pull one for him. I doubt dealerships may hold on to stock if it hasn't been sold and if there's a need elsewhere in the group, then again who knows during these times.

I know of a big third party vehicle dealer who do the same, they advertise new Toyota's at R40 - R50k over retail, difference is they have stock which others don't.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2021/09/20 at 05:08 PM.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

There is apparently now a 4 year waiting list for some Cruisers..........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    There is apparently now a 4 year waiting list for some Cruisers..........
    In Japan.
    Bruce Hunter

He has secured one from an “ethical’ dealer.

Not even LR dealers do this 😎
    Bruce Hunter

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    As far as I know Toyota sets a recommended retail price, only recommended, if dealers can give discounts at their own discretion, they can probably also add markup at their own discretion.

Supply and demand, willing buyer and all that, at least they were honest with him. Sounds like they'll be fine with him possibly getting it cheaper next door and also possibly losing a customer for life.

Tell him to go to a different dealer, tell them these guys have 2 in stock, maybe they can pull one for him. I doubt dealerships may hold on to stock if it hasn't been sold and if there's a need elsewhere in the group, then again who knows during these times.

I know of a big third party vehicle dealer who do the same, they advertise new Toyota's at R40 - R50k over retail, difference is they have stock which others don't.
    Third party dealers yes, not an actual Dealer.
    Bruce Hunter

Van die pryse is gek. Ek het laas maand 'n pêl help soek vir 'n nuwe FJ en die een was gedeel op die FJ groep juis oor die belaglike prys van R949,950 vir die demo model sonder ekstras by Toyota. Iemand op die groep het toe vir hom 'n nuwe een opgespoor op Upington vir R734,000.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael Louw (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    He has secured one from an “ethical’ dealer.

Not even LR dealers do this 😎
    If the their demand far outweighed their supply it wouldn't make business sense for them not to do it. Capatilism.

If you have a model that doesn't move at the recommend retail price you will be offered a discount.

Its interesting to see how quickly the seconhand market also reacts to this.

You buy a car at RRP a year later the same model is sold at discounted prices and your cars is devalued on the secondhand marker accordingly

Scenario:

Colleague wants to buy a stock brand new Toyota Prado from a JHB Toyota Dealer. They have two in stock so send him an OTP with a R50K extra on top of the website Toyota price. He queries this so they tell him he can take it or leave it as they know they will sell them at a premium due to demand.

I have since spoken to the DP's of 3 Toyota Dealers and they are actually shocked by this and have recommended we take this up with Toyota HQ.
    Probably not unethical, extremely cocky yes. Sad part is they are probably right. And yes I have had similar experience with Toyota being told "if you don't take it the next guy will, so we don't really care". But they clearly get away with such shocking service to customers which is just another reason for me personally not wanting to support them.

I have said it before but I got equally crap treatment at Ford, the biggest shock to me switching from Ford to Audi was that Audi actually seemed to want me as a customer and often went out of their way to accommodate me... But I am probably starting to detail this thread now...

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Probably not unethical, extremely cocky yes. Sad part is they are probably right. And yes I have had similar experience with Toyota being told "if you don't take it the next guy will, so we don't really care". But they clearly get away with such shocking service to customers which is just another reason for me personally not wanting to support them.

I have said it before but I got equally crap treatment at Ford, the biggest shock to me switching from Ford to Audi was that Audi actually seemed to want me as a customer and often went out of their way to accommodate me... But I am probably starting to detail this thread now...

Plenty other options out there besides Toyota. And you can lessen your carjacking risk and save money too! Pajero! Patrol!
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2021/09/20 at 06:17 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

I have walked away from a few dealers because of things they did, and will never return to any one of them, no matter what.

On one occasion I needed 3 vehicles, and I asked for fleet discount. The salesman told me, "sir, if you don't take them, some-one else will, there is no discount".

Went to not only a different dealer but also a different brand and bought my three vehicles, and got a nice deal.

Another dealer wanted me to pay a deposit before ordering my car, I told her to her face that I'll just take my business somewhere else thank you, and did exactly that.

Probably the silliest one, these American cars come with more warning stickers on the sun visor than there are adds in the yellow pages. I was looking to buy a Cherokee and told them to replace the visors with ones without the add stickers. They refused and I never bought the Cherokee!

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

It is supply and demand in a pure form at work.

The fundamental is that it remains the perogative of the potential buyer to walk or cough up. That said, personally I would walk away from a dealer like this, whilst muttering under my breath something to the likes of the dealer welcome to perform an individual act of a naughty nature.......
    Jaco Nell

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

I do not understand what ethics has to do with it. The free market is based on supply and demand. Is it unethical to buy fire wood at 50 cents a piece and sell it at R 2000 per 1000 pieces whilst buyer are queueing up?

Go to auctions and see how much more than the new price of years ago peolpe will pay for scarse cars.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

100% Ethical. It would be unethical for the manufacturer to try and dictate the selling price.

If this is the attitude when you want to buy a car at this place, imagine what will happen come service time...

Walk away and never return.
    Anton van Graan

2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
    2007 VW Caddy Life TDi
    2004 VW Polo 1.6 Comfortline
    1997 Citigolf 1.3

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OettingerTDi For This Useful Post:

I think suzuki did similar when the new Jimny was launched and stock was very scarse..RSP is just that,recommended not fixed

Scenario:

im not understanding writing marked in blue.
    is price difference on Toyota SA website to dealer website
    or
    dealer website to dealer OTP.
    if later one i'll go and make case against dealer principal for false advertising.
    Last edited by jadranko; 2021/09/21 at 07:39 AM.

The dealers buy and register, move it to their used cars and add 100k to a hilux.

I won't buy it just because, and once a otp has been given they cant change the price. They can lose their agency. Query with the dealer principle and TSA

Then again I cannot see any excitement in buying a Toyota
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Ethical or not. Legal or not.

I can understand if extra's like drive away package gets bolted on ect, but to willy nilly add an extra 50K on top of the price does not sit well with me personally.

Why even then add a price on the website if any amount can be added afterwards? Then even a small Suzuki Spresso should have a POA next to it.

Imagine Takealot or any online retailer putting a similar clause on their website. You browse a product for R400, and upon checking out, the price jumps to R1000.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast