Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Moving From Hilux to Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I know i am opening a can of worms!!!I have been driving a hilux 3.0 d4d auto for the past 9 years, but looking for a change. Ranger 2.2 auto or ranger 3.2 auto?. I have heard many complaints regarding engine and turbo problems. Is this true or just the hilux people having some fun!?Thanks
    Dit is baie waar, ratkas en engine probleme ook!

Mazda BT50 200K km on the clock 4x4 d/c 3.2. I've pulled out trees on my farm with this bakkie, I've towed close to the 3 ton mark with it with no problems at all.
    Bought it on 45K km and around 100Km mark I had the software updated. It turned the bakkie into a real performance bakkie. (The 1 km spring dropped down with over 3 seconds.)
    That all said, the 3.2 is a wonderful bakkie and I can see myself driving for at least another 100K with it.
    The problems so far were belt tensioner replaced, drivers side electrical window replaced and aircon unit was fixed but nothing else.
    I would by the 3.2 again except if I have money for the Raptor, then its the 2L for me

3. The Following User Says Thank You to unrealchris For This Useful Post:

Default Moving From Hilux to Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    I've had the 2.2 since 2014 & then swapped to a 3.2 in 2017. Currently sitting on 160 000km, aside from needing a new battery every 2 years I can't report anything else wrong with it.

I'm sure there are problematic Fords, in much the same way there are problematic Toyotas, Volkswagens, Suzukis and every other brand under the sun.

If you decide to chip the thing then you can expect problems.
    That battery every two years sounds very much like a tracking unit with a faulty back-up battery. Had the same problem with my Jeep and after taking the tracking unit out, no more battery replacements every two years.
    Mine: 2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 4x4 A/T Wildtrak (Stock standard)
    Swambo: 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 5.7 Overland (Stock standard)

I had all the Rangers and facelifts since 2001. No serious issue on any of them. Currently on my second 3.2AT.

Mine work hard but I also look after them by way of between service oil change as well as regular filter replacements, over and above the prescribed replacements. Not sure whether this actually prevented or will prevent issues, but at least I am happy.
    Ranger 3.2 XLT D/C 4x4 A/T 2019
    Armadillo Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    One thing is for certain, switching to the Ranger will feel like you're driving a Merc compared to your old d4d (only referring to the ride quality from having been a passenger in both) ...
    Koop jou Ranger en geniet hom !want dis die mooiste trok op die pad en hy ry die lekkerste ek weet ek het 3 toyotas gehad en toe ek oorslaan na ford Ranger 3.2 auto het selfs my ander helfte gese "dis is nou lekker"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to braamc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bostoe View Post
    You can buy a base Ranger for R100k less than a comparable Isuzu or Toyota (Demo/second hand). I'd rather pay less in interest and have more in my pocket, than buying the more expensive product even with the two Japanese brands having better resale - hoping that you will get your money back one day.

But, I am still an Isuzu guy. Over the years, they've given me the best service and pleasure.(I've owned 2 Hilux's, 5 Isuzu's and one Mazda 2.5)

Bostoe
    Agreed but I was talking from the perspective of selling/trading in a Ford bakkie for a new Ford bakkie model.

I have experience it recently and was both shocked/dissapointed, whereas my friends with Toyota bakkies could get better deal options than I could get.

But then I realised: there was nothing wrong with my Ford. It was paid off. It does its job. And I really didn't need any of the new "cosmetic" changes that comes with these new models. And, as you mentioned: try to get full value back one day.

So, I decided to stay with my 2016 Ford bakkie and are still very happy with it.

With the 2.2 & 3.2 being discontinued and Ford upping their game with the launch of 3L diesel & 2.7petrol in a more F150 inspired guise, I guess second hand values on the discontinued models would drop even more..?
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

In my family's recent experience Ranger resale is not great. I think the dealers resell them for good prices (which gives the impression of strong resale?), but they offer very little to the seller.

My dad traded his 2012 Ranger 2.2 club club (white, 4x2, bought new, 143k km on the clock, no extra's except cattle rails, needed new tyres soon) for a measly R110k when he bought a new car recently. The best offer we got at a dealer was R130k. Now we could've sold it out of hand for more, and I have no doubt looking at dealer prices that they would resell it for around R160k, but they would not budge on the trade offer. With the market for 2nd cars the way it is at the moment I feel like they got a steal. He did get a good deal on the new car which helped soften the blow.

Like a few others say, the Ranger has class leading ride characteristics (only on tar in my experience with the club cab), but personally I don't think we will buy another one of the current generation (that was the 3rd one in a row 2x WL 2.5tdi's and then the 2.2 T6). I must say they were all very pleasant to own, particularly the 2.5 WL.

Cheers

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I know i am opening a can of worms!!!

I have been driving a hilux 3.0 d4d auto for the past 9 years, but looking for a change.

Ranger 2.2 auto or ranger 3.2 auto?. I have heard many complaints regarding engine and turbo problems. Is this true or just the hilux people having some fun!?

Thanks
    Hi Blue it's just hilux people having some fun. I'm on my second ranger 3.2 auto with over 200kkm milage and the beast still runs smoothly with zero issues since I bought it around 2018-Aug. I used to travel a lot the past two years doing around 200k in a day ( working on road maintenance) and I never had a day where I got stuck on the side of the road. I would pull a trailer once a month full of asphalt bags ( +650kg) and +500kg in the load bin. The only down side is the service costs, +/-R5000.00 for minor services compared to hilux which can be as low as R3000.00

Quote Originally Posted by manvy View Post
    Hi Blue it's just hilux people having some fun. I'm on my second ranger 3.2 auto with over 200kkm milage and the beast still runs smoothly with zero issues since I bought it around 2018-Aug. I used to travel a lot the past two years doing around 200k in a day ( working on road maintenance) and I never had a day where I got stuck on the side of the road. I would pull a trailer once a month full of asphalt bags ( +650kg) and +500kg in the load bin. The only down side is the service costs, +/-R5000.00 for minor services compared to hilux which can be as low as R3000.00
    Actually it's not, just search for hole in piston on this site....

I might just buy a Ford now.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

The Ford driving Bi.......turbo ricoffy drinkin' man.

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Hulle is blykbaar baie gemaklik, dit help darem as jy sit en wag vir die rollback

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hennie84 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hennie84 View Post
    Hulle is blykbaar baie gemaklik, dit help darem as jy sit en wag vir die rollback

Ek het altyd en sal nog altyd 'n sagte plek he vir Ford.

Het vanoggend na die Wildtrack gaan kyk (die een met die melkbottel engine) en was aangenaam verras oor die kwaliteit en luukshede.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Smoke & mirrors!

Ek het ook geval vir dit, en op papier lyk die Ford na die beste waarde vir geld.... tot jy teen die pad staan.
    Ek het aan beweeg (2020 2.0XLT auto 4x4) nadat die Ford op so 30 000km, 4 keer teen die pad gestaan het in 3 maande. (en die Ranger het eenkeer gestaan en breek in my garage). Probleme was elektries en dieselpomp.
    Die Hilux het net te hard gery, en die dash se skewe lyne en aangeplakte tablet vir 'n radio... Dit voel net nie na goeie waarde nie. Die 2.8 enjin en ratkas voel goed, en hy herverkoop so lekker. Toe koop ek 'n nuwe Navara, en ek is nie spyt nie.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Swerkater For This Useful Post:

Cool Re: Moving From Hilux to Ranger

Good man Mandreas.....as long as you keep your service and maintenance plan up to date....in case s**t goes side ways

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    In my family's recent experience Ranger resale is not great. I think the dealers resell them for good prices (which gives the impression of strong resale?), but they offer very little to the seller.

My dad traded his 2012 Ranger 2.2 club club (white, 4x2, bought new, 143k km on the clock, no extra's except cattle rails, needed new tyres soon) for a measly R110k when he bought a new car recently. The best offer we got at a dealer was R130k

Exactly the same problem I had, when I was thinking of selling/trading in my 2016 SuperCab between end-2019 and mid-2020.

Best I could get was R110k. What is also weird for me is that all Ford dealers, never mind where, offered the same price after asking for my vehicle's VIN and other details. Guess it is the Ford trade-in system that they all use. It's not even the same as Toyota's "interesting" system.

Unfortunately, the prices of a a Ford bakkie (same as any other brand) has climbed steadily that it was hard for me to find a model with some or near all extras what my current bakkie had, to justify the trade-in/sale and my budget.

In the end I decided it was not worth to continue the effort, and kept the bakkie.
    Last edited by GroenHoender; 2021/09/28 at 06:14 PM. Reason: stupid typo's

23. The Following User Says Thank You to GroenHoender For This Useful Post:

Gents...

That Wildtrack.....

Looks good from where I'm sitting....

Eish...
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

Gents...

That Wildtrack.....

Looks good from where I'm sitting....

Eish...
    Jy sit dan seker moer ver weg .......

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    Jy sit dan seker moer ver weg .......

Clown.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

I am on my second Ranger now, was always a big Hilux fan but hate the dash and the long nose! On top of this the Ranger has many more features and drives a lot better. I have had no issues with my Rangers (both 3.2 4x4 and I do push them off road) and looking at the new developments I can't see myself going back to the Hilux soon. And most of my mates have moved over from Hilux to Rangers as well. Buy the Ranger you won't be disappointed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast