Default Trailer plug wiring

My trailers wiring is too short, talking about the seven pin plug that connects to the car.

Can this be extended by 0.5m? Or will the entire length need to be replaced with a longer one?

I assume this will be a job for an auto electrician.

Default Re: Trailer plug wiring

Will be untidy and prone to dust and water when towing. Get it done properly is my guess.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Go to A&J over the hill next to Hyundai on H Potg
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by TheManiac View Post
    My trailers wiring is too short, talking about the seven pin plug that connects to the car.

Can this be extended by 0.5m? Or will the entire length need to be replaced with a longer one?

I assume this will be a job for an auto electrician.
    Easy to extend by joining and placing a piece of heat shrink over the join. Make the join about 1.5m from the 7pin under the trailer. About all Jurgens CI caravans have a open 7 way loom connector close to the tail lights inside the chassis channel.
    Very few if any have problems with it exposed to water from tyres.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

If you want I have a piece of cable PM me if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Go to A&J over the hill next to Hyundai on H Potg
    Thanks, will check them out tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    If you want I have a piece of cable PM me if you want.
    Thanks Wylie. Not sure I have the expertise to do this with the time available, as we are going camping this coming weekend.

Luckily i checked this today, and not realise it when we are leaving in Thursday morning

Quote Originally Posted by TheManiac View Post
    Thanks Wylie. Not sure I have the expertise to do this with the time available, as we are going camping this coming weekend.

Luckily i checked this today, and not realise it when we are leaving in Thursday morning
    Very simple to DIY. Get appropriate cable length and cores eg 5 or 7 core as required

Method 1..permanent. For more experienced persons.

As suggested, cut cable off about 1.5 from plug. Skin back 50mm or 5cm of cable on trailer, bare approximate 20mm or 2cn of each core to expose copper wires. Do same to new extension cable on both ends and on piece with plug. Twist like colors together, solder each same color together. Once soldered all wires, tape each soldered wire separate with insulation tape, then tape over all of them together. If you don't have experience with heat shrink, don't use it. Best is just use insulation tape.

Method 2...temp/permanent for less experienced person.

Do as above method 1 except instead of using soldering, you buy a strip of CONNECTOR blocks ie 10 Amp and you join wires together with these, then tape over everything to water proof.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Very simple to DIY. Get appropriate cable length and cores eg 5 or 7 core as required

Method 1..permanent. For more experienced persons.

As suggested, cut cable off about 1.5 from plug. Skin back 50mm or 5cm of cable on trailer, bare approximate 20mm or 2cn of each core to expose copper wires. Do same to new extension cable on both ends and on piece with plug. Twist like colors together, solder each same color together. Once soldered all wires, tape each soldered wire separate with insulation tape, then tape over all of them together. If you don't have experience with heat shrink, don't use it. Best is just use insulation tape.
    Using insulation tape will unfortunately make it a temporary solution. If you want to go the joining route, use heat shrink as follows:

As has been stated, make the joint about a meter back from the end at a point where the cable is attached to the chassis and cannot flex. Join the individual wires and insulate each with the appropriate sized heat shrink.

Once this is done, heat shrink the entire joint with a larger size shrink, but squeeze some silicon into the tube on either end before heating it. Wipe off the excess silicon after heating. Once that is done, wrap the entire length of the joint with self vulcanizing rubber tape, NOT insulation tape.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

I have posted this in another thread a while back already. Had to redo tail lights on boat trailer and got LED versions. Wrapped wire together soldered and put tape oner joint. Once all connections were done I wrapped in bitumastic sealant and then a piece of heatshrink over it. Boat has been into water and out again with no problems. other alternative is to use vulcanising tape. 3M make a version of it (Scotch 23). This was used to seal connectors on masts for communication. I have done numerous cable joins on Solar feed cables 6mm and 10mm where they were wrapped, soldered, bitumastic sealant and heat shrink. Never had a problem. Just remember vulcanising tape does not go well with oil and petrol. Becomes a gooi mess.

Thanks for the explanation guys!! Appreciate it. It sounds do-able.

I do think that since I donít have much time, leaving Thursday morning, I would rather let someone do it right first time. I know how my rushed diy jobs always have some curve ball and everything turns to a brown putty like consistency

Instead of saving money have peace of mind that it is sorted properly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheManiac For This Useful Post: