Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Automatic gearboxes and towing heavy loads

Not sure which vehicle you will use for towing, but if the Range Rover, it might be the same as the Discovery 4 (2010) which senses if you pull a trailer and then 'adjusts' the way the gearbox changes gears. The sensing is done by looking if something is connected to the trailer plug and will show up on dashboard, if it is. If it compensates enough for such a heavy trailer, I don't know and other advice already given might work better.

Please take note that with LED lights on the trailer, the Discovery does not sense a trailer and does not make the adjustment. I learnt the expensive way.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PieterN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PieterN View Post
    Please take note that with LED lights on the trailer, the Discovery does not sense a trailer and does not make the adjustment. I learnt the expensive way.
    What went wrong with the LED trailer lights? I have a trailer with LED’s and would need to compensate if i can.
    2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
    2016 BMW 125i M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by williepvjr View Post
    What went wrong with the LED trailer lights? I have a trailer with LED’s and would need to compensate if i can.
    I have a little box on my BL to compensate for the led's of the trailer.The RR then picks up that I am towing and adjusts shift pattern.Kick-back earlier and hold gears slightly longer.Tow in D.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoFrans View Post
    I have a little box on my BL to compensate for the led's of the trailer.
    Seems ill need to do something here… I am not seeing the little light on the dash indicating the tow connection (the manual says it should blink with the indicators - this is not happening).

Tell me about the little box and the bl pls?
    Last edited by williepvjr; 2021/09/27 at 01:45 PM.
    2016 BMW 125i M Sport

Seems ill need to do something here… I am not seeing the little light on the dash indicating the tow connection (the manual says it should blink with the indicators - this is not happening).

Tell me about the little box and the bl pls?
    the car measures resistance on each circuit to see if the light bulbs are ok, on an LED the car will see an open circuit so assumes nothing is plugged in. What you need is some big resistors to wire in parallel to the LED lights, car will see the resistance in the circuit and know there is a trailer hitched up.

Some people make up a little box you plug into the cable, I just wired in resistors at the LED lights on my trailer.

edited to add, at R300 I'd just buy this:
    https://www.takealot.com/led-trailer...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by mullerza; 2021/09/27 at 02:05 PM.
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    the car measures resistance on each circuit to see if the light bulbs are ok, on an LED the car will see an open circuit so assumes nothing is plugged in. What you need is some big resistors to wire in parallel to the LED lights, car will see the resistance in the circuit and know there is a trailer hitched up.

Some people make up a little box you plug into the cable, I just wired in resistors at the LED lights on my trailer.

edited to add, at R300 I'd just buy this:
    https://www.takealot.com/led-trailer...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I did try the unit that Ford use for the bakkie but it did not work on the LR.I bought a used box from Aus that is for LR.One can use it without the box but the car electronics will not pick the trailer up.Used my D3 like that with no ill effects,the led just flash like disco lights!!
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoFrans View Post
    I did try the unit that Ford use for the bakkie but it did not work on the LR.I bought a used box from Aus that is for LR.One can use it without the box but the car electronics will not pick the trailer up.Used my D3 like that with no ill effects,the led just flash like disco lights!!
    Good to know,wonder why the landrover is so finiky?
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Good to know,wonder why the landrover is so finiky?
    No idea,but the little box from Australia works perfect!!
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Towing with an AUTO is really great.

When you get to really heavy loads, just make sure that you do understand your gearbox operation.

What makes an auto great is the seamless shifting, but this can also be its downfall.
    It is called slip or unlocking.
    The older generation used to install a lock-up kit to disable this function.

Essentially the belts in the box slip when changing gear to make the transition smooth.
    Now under certain conditions, the belts does not engage fully and keep slipping.
    This friction can overheat the box,wear out the belts and destroy the oil.

If the newer boxes also suffer from this, I do not know.
    That is why most manuals say select "SPORT" mode when towing, as it removes the slip function.

Happy Towing!!!

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post

When you get to really heavy loads, just make sure that you do understand your gearbox operation.

What makes an auto great is the seamless shifting, but this can also be its downfall.

Essentially the belts in the box slip when changing gear to make the transition smooth.
    Now under certain conditions, the belts does not engage fully and keep slipping.

That is why most manuals say select "SPORT" mode when towing, as it removes the slip function.

Happy Towing!!!
    Belts?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB
    2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

Happy Towing!!!
    nope, pretty much everything you describe about the working of an automatic gearbox is wrong
    Anton Muller

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Default Automatic gearboxes and towing heavy loads

I have been towing my Jurgens Classique for the past few years with my Ranger 3.2. When I hook the caravan, I shift it in S mode until i unhook the caravan again. I found that the gearbox shifts perfectly up or down, as conditions dictates and I only manually shifted it once or twice when going down steep mountain passes, to assist with engine braking. Once at the bottom of the pass, I shift back into S mode.
    Mine: 2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 4x4 A/T Wildtrak (Stock standard)
    Swambo: 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 5.7 Overland (Stock standard)

Cool Re: Automatic gearboxes and towing heavy loads

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    Belts?
    Every one on the internet is an expert.
    2016 BMW 125i M Sport

Every one on the internet is an expert.
    Priceless…

David Vierra
    ‘21 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 3.5L M/T (Sold)
    ‘52 Beech Bonanza

“The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge”
    – Daniel J. Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    Belts?
    Sorry, I think the correct terminology should be clutch packs?
    Not sure why I used the word "belts". Perhaps a blond moment...

nope, pretty much everything you describe about the working of an automatic gearbox is wrong
    I have no problem being told that I am wrong, but please then help me be correct.
    It is extremely easy to criticize, but then please also add value, if you brave enough.

I have no problem being told that I am wrong, but please then help me be correct.
    It is extremely easy to criticize, but then please also add value, if you brave enough.
    I could have been nasty and made fun of your explanation of an autobox when there are plenty of resource a quick google away to explain to you how modern auto boxes work with very nice diagrams and videos. Also a lot of it was already explained in this thread.

There are no belts in a autobox, you have a torque converter that allows for slip and lockup clutches that locks the torque converter in place. Modern boxes allow very little slip before the clutches engage to lock the torque converter - this is done mainly for fuel economy and is the reason why a modern automatic is on par a manual in fuel economy whilst still giving the smooth gear changes of an old school autobox

The gearbox will only allow slip on pullaway and with gear changes, all other times the torque converter is locked. Sport function does not remove the slipping of the torque converter otherwise you probably break the box with the first gear change and it would be impossible to pull away Sport mode only changes the speeds and RPM at which the changes are made.
    Last edited by mullerza; 2021/09/28 at 09:26 AM.
    Anton Muller

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

There is a discussion on the toyota thread where Brian is towing a 2.7T ski boat. I was asking about oil coolers as these used to be considered essential for any auto towing.

He said that he changed the gearbox fluid on his fortuner at 70k and it was vuil! He is now changing every 40k. I think it depends a lot on what you are towing and how you drive, but he said he is taking it pretty easy with the boat.

There does not seem to be anyone locally doing GB coolers, however that Aussie Guy that does the auto conversions on 4wd/24/7 channel does offer a kit for 8th gen hi luxes/fortuners.

Perhaps something to consider?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2