Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default blondy with new defender

hi all. so i used to own (and deeply love) a 1999 defender 110 tdi (probably the last one in SA before the TD5 came around). i recently and very reluctantly parted with it at 230,000 km on the clock. reason for that i often travel alone and can't afford to get stuck next to the road with breakdowns and really started to find it hard to keep reliable since parts are more and more difficult to come by.

so i am now the proud owner of the latest version of defender and yes fully appreciate the downside ito all electronics ect and dealing with any issues probably more an IT operation than mechanical! but feel more secure with the new set up. most of the distance in my old and dearly missed landy was offroad and said landy has seen more of Africa than i did, often lending it out to other people venturing into deep Africa, as far as the rhino horn.

i m working hard to get accustomed to my new landy and all the tech stuff, quite impressive so long as it works i guess......time will tell

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tjokkits For This Useful Post:

Default Re: blondy with new defender

Blonde with new Defender need pics for proof

glad you like it all best with it, for me I will stick to my TD5 Defender
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

4. The Following User Says Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

Thanks @Clivemd. Here goes.

Oldy and then the new cousin.

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Tjokkits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tjokkits View Post
    Thanks @Clivemd. Here goes.

Oldy and then the new cousin.

so the one big thing with the new landrover is not the car itself. the roof rack that landrover supplies is pretty much non usable from an off road perspective. (hindsight would have gone for after market but I am where I am) landrover are not supplying anything to fit onto the rack as one would generally use offroad such as spare wheel brackets, jerry can holders etc. moreso, they dont even supply the T slot nuts one typically needs to fit anything onto the rack. it uses Thule parts so then going to thule, well they have very limited stock of t track nuts, i basically bought their whole stock in SA. thats a big shame and I have send an email to Landrover SA on this.

but anyway, worked my way around it (yes i fitted all so far by myself, as a blondy girl) so as you can see in the pictures fitted storage boxes and Maxi track and my blow up jack. Additional spare tyre will go in front once i can get my male friends to help getting it up there, a bit heavy for me alone...

Where i am stuck now though, and would appreciate some help. my jerry cans are 10litre ones so i can make things fit and spread the weight. i can not find any 10litre jerry can brackets for love or money. i need somebody who can custom make some for me.

can anybody recommend somebody who can do this? Johannesburg/PTA or surrounds?

TIA

Tjokkits

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tjokkits For This Useful Post:

Will be interesting to get trip reports, a new defender being used for what it's heritage stood for, congratulations, good luck and keep us posted

Great looking vehicle!

Wishing you Miles of Smiles
    George Moustakis
    Disco 4 XS

thanks all

for some reason i cant post new threat?

if somebody can please copy and post my last post on the bracket issue on one of the main chats just to get to more members it would be appreciated.

Congrats and welcome to the ND clan! Not many of us but Im seeing more on the roads.

It really is an awesome all rounder.

Happy safe miles. Enjoy your travels.
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

thanks Bruce

yes i must say so far very impressed.

the offroad capabilty is impressive and along with that, 220v plugs (i think many newer 4x4 cars now come with that), and the build in compressor which is so seamless to use, no connecting with battery ect. thats all great.

downside - i dont think there is any room for extended fuel tanks neither water. one can though fit a second battery system but it will use up some packing space (that bit in the boot under the floor).

and the stock tyres (cant recall brand) are not strong enough especially if on bigger rims, which i ended up with coz in my wisdom went for the 3l 6cyl version (i do like some speed too, my other car was a porche) and there you cant go smaller than a 19 inch rim because of the size of the brakes. clearly a handicap of note so the strongest tyres available advisable.., ive seen many vids how easy the stock tyre sidewalls go, even on smaller rims, so first thing driving out the show room i have swopped out the standard AR landy tyres for BF tyres

many happy miles to you in your ND

oh and the other plus for clueless off road drivers like me are the cameras showing exaclty where your wheels are...

Tuffant make an 18 rim that should fit.

Im quite happy with the GY Wrangler tyres although they do have the softer sidewall.

Did you spec your car or did you get a stock one? LR messed up my order so I had to get a stick one in May before the price increase.

I understand the Pp thing and speed 😎 I am lucky to still have my red rocket!

I keep my ARB in the storage under the boot plus recovery gear etc. G4 fit the battery there. There should still be some space after fitting a battery.

An Aussie company has designed a fuel tank, it fits in the space after they remove the rear silencer.

Im not sure about the need for the inverter in the boot, how many watts?
    Bruce Hunter

wow Bruce, so cool to find anybody that's beyond the stock stuff!

on the wheels, thanks. will certainly look at if and when i plan some more serious overland stuff. for now Kalahari is as far as im going so think current set up will work for that

i specced my car VERY specifically, but that meant some long delays and had to wait over 8 months, since there was quite a few spec changes, some quite good but not really worth the extra cost.

as an interim measure i did for a few months buy a stock 2l diesel demo which i must admit was also quite impressive, to the extent at some point i considered keeping it. but yah, at the end a bit sluggish coming off a porche, and i decided to get one car for all my needs (i miss the porche though!).

i had to stomach the price increase and on top of that, suddenly the air suspension was an extra, nasty surprise

G4? will chat to them on battery pls can you share contact details?

i dont think i will need an inverter .

what silencer must be removed for extra fuel, implications?

G4 Outdoor Accessories. Look under the Commercial section, he posted some pics. He fits at your office or home.

Im not sure about the effect on your warranty if you remove the rear silencer. We will most probably have to wait in SA before they develop a tank that can be fitted without too much modification.

Regarding the inverter, I was asking you about the 220v unit that came with your car. I could not find the specs on it and what you can use it for. Maybe just laptop type chargers?
    Bruce Hunter

Welcome Tjokkits, looking forward to your posts!
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

That looks awesome in white.

Also cant wait for more feedback on how it does on some overlanding trips

Quote Originally Posted by Tjokkits View Post
    Where i am stuck now though, and would appreciate some help. my jerry cans are 10litre ones so i can make things fit and spread the weight. i can not find any 10litre jerry can brackets for love or money. i need somebody who can custom make some for me.

can anybody recommend somebody who can do this? Johannesburg/PTA or surrounds?

TIA

Tjokkits
    I should be able to assist with fabricating brackets for the jerry cans. I'd have to have a look at the roof rack to see how will be best to do the attachments. I'm going to be out of action for about 6 weeks as I'm going to have knee replacement surgery next Monday. If you aren't in a rush give a shout on Zero83 Three79 Three471. I'm based in Edenvale.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes theyre already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Not sure it is cool of LR selling a R1.5m vehicle that isn't really fit for purpose, but anyway.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Not sure it is cool of LR selling a R1.5m vehicle that isn't really fit for purpose, but anyway.
    eish... 10litre is not a standard jerry can. However LRSA should jack up their supply of the Thule roof rack accessories but currentky shorthage of all sorts of items from many suppliers is short.

Im sure in a few months this will sort itself out. I would also rather buy from Thule direct than LR.
    Last edited by BruceHun; 2021/09/21 at 11:12 AM.
    Bruce Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    eish... 10litre is not a standard jerry can. You can get for standard jerry cans!
    "the roof rack that landrover supplies is pretty much non usable from an off road perspective. (hindsight would have gone for after market but I am where I am) landrover are not supplying anything to fit onto the rack as one would generally use offroad such as spare wheel brackets, jerry can holders etc. moreso, they dont even supply the T slot nuts one typically needs to fit anything onto the rack. it uses Thule parts so then going to thule, well they have very limited stock of t track nuts, i basically bought their whole stock in SA. thats a big shame and I have send an email to Landrover SA on this."
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast