Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: blondy with new defender

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    eish... 10litre is not a standard jerry can. However LRSA should jack up their supply of the Thule roof rack accessories but currentky shorthage of all sorts of items from many suppliers is short.

Im sure in a few months this will sort itself out. I would also rather buy from Thule direct than LR.
    The 10l has same footprint as 20l ones, just shorter....

Much easier to handle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Robert van den Berg...(fully vaccinated with two Pfizer jabs & certified)

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty' (jabbed with 50ppm)
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully' (jabbed with 50ppm)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

For mounting purposes they don't have the same footprint because the 20l ones are actually mounted lying on the right hand side in your picture.

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

Can two 10l jerry cans not fit in a 20l jerry can holder, or four in a two 20l holder.
    Last edited by TRON; 2021/09/26 at 12:15 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

Hi all thanks for the feedback. The 20 l brackets won't work at least fir my set up.the main constraint is the limitations in moving the slats around given the slanted shape of the rack.

But i managed to get Gerhard from Daily Driven Jeep to build and fit me some awesome amd uber solid brackets. I am quoting my feedback from my other post specifically asking help here where Gerhard offered assistance.

Hi all.

Wow how chuffed so i got hold of Gerhard from Daily Driven Jeeps who build me my jerry can brackets at short notice and also spend a whole morning helping to get my spare tyre fitted and optimised some of the work i already did viz cargo boxes and maxi tracks etc.

I can't talk enough about his enthusiasm he clearly does what he does because he loves it vs making money.

Here is my landy with its roof rack kitted. Spare tyre, maxibtrax , air lift jack, cargo boxes and two 10 l jerry cans. As mentioned in my intro post, the landy rack is extremely difficult to work with. For starters to get the t-slot nuts needed to attach brackets is a nightmare( i had some made). And then the slats can only move by so much because the rack is slanted more narrow towards the back. But we made it work.

All comes in at 2.4 m clearance so can get into most hight restricted places i am aware of.

Some pics attached.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tjokkits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    I should be able to assist with fabricating brackets for the jerry cans. I'd have to have a look at the roof rack to see how will be best to do the attachments. I'm going to be out of action for about 6 weeks as I'm going to have knee replacement surgery next Monday. If you aren't in a rush give a shout on Zero83 Three79 Three471. I'm based in Edenvale.
    Thanks Paul..i only saw your post now.hope your knee heals well. I managed to get sorted but thanks to offer assistance.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tjokkits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Not sure it is cool of LR selling a R1.5m vehicle that isn't really fit for purpose, but anyway.
    Yes obagree. The car is great but ancillary stuff must be workable. Landrover SA has an emailnfrom me on this issue but I suspect the after marketbwill come up with solutions before they react

Quote Originally Posted by Tjokkits View Post
    Hi all thanks for the feedback. The 20 l brackets won't work at least fir my set up.the main constraint is the limitations in moving the slats around given the slanted shape of the rack.

But i managed to get Gerhard from Daily Driven Jeep to build and fit me some awesome amd uber solid brackets. I am quoting my feedback from my other post specifically asking help here where Gerhard offered assistance.

Hi all.

Wow how chuffed so i got hold of Gerhard from Daily Driven Jeeps who build me my jerry can brackets at short notice and also spend a whole morning helping to get my spare tyre fitted and optimised some of the work i already did viz cargo boxes and maxi tracks etc.

I can't talk enough about his enthusiasm he clearly does what he does because he loves it vs making money.

Here is my landy with its roof rack kitted. Spare tyre, maxibtrax , air lift jack, cargo boxes and two 10 l jerry cans. As mentioned in my intro post, the landy rack is extremely difficult to work with. For starters to get the t-slot nuts needed to attach brackets is a nightmare( i had some made). And then the slats can only move by so much because the rack is slanted more narrow towards the back. But we made it work.

All comes in at 2.4 m clearance so can get into most hight restricted places i am aware of.

Some pics attached.
    Thank you Annerie, it was only a pleasure.

Enjoy your trip, once your back we should go do some offroading. Land Rover vs Jeep. But I'm mighty impressed with the new Defender.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Daily Driven Jeeps For This Useful Post:

Just a suggestion, you should try to get those Jerry can holders positioned more towards the middle of the roof rack. I would swop it out with the pack in front of the two cases.

You already have a heavy spare wheel hanging off the back. Adding filled jerry cans that kind of overhang the rear axle places too much weight behind the rear axle which could seriously affect the vehicles road holding.

Just thinking of safety here, but please take this to heart.

C

Well done, DDJ.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tjokkits View Post
    so i used to own (and deeply love) a 1999 defender 110 tdi (probably the last one in SA before the TD5 came around).
    Don't forget the Defender Kalahari Edition from 2006 which also had the 300 Tdi engine. I think only about 250 were produced and a number of folk on the forum own one (IMGREG for example).

Mine has now got 435K on the clock, and yes, I also deeply love it.
    2006 Defender KE 300 TDi (aka Hari), previously 2003 TD5 90 (aka Steri) and 1994 TDi HiLine 200 TDi (aka Big Blue).
    Afrispoor Serval off-road caravan (aka ORC).

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    Just a suggestion, you should try to get those Jerry can holders positioned more towards the middle of the roof rack. I would swop it out with the pack in front of the two cases.

You already have a heavy spare wheel hanging off the back. Adding filled jerry cans that kind of overhang the rear axle places too much weight behind the rear axle which could seriously affect the vehicles road holding.

Just thinking of safety here, but please take this to heart.

C
    The Plastic cases carry more weight than the 2 x Jerry cans. Jerry can is 10L with 2.2kg bracket. Rear of the Roofrack max weight per wing/side is 20kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Driven Jeeps View Post
    The Plastic cases carry more weight than the 2 x Jerry cans. Jerry can is 10L with 2.2kg bracket. Rear of the Roofrack max weight per wing/side is 20kg.
    Agreed, that is why I said, place the jerry's in front of the cases, in other words meaning leave the cases where they are, move the sand tracks and canvas bundle to the back.

C

Quote Originally Posted by j-ms View Post
    Don't forget the Defender Kalahari Edition from 2006 which also had the 300 Tdi engine. I think only about 250 were produced and a number of folk on the forum own one (IMGREG for example).

Mine has now got 435K on the clock, and yes, I also deeply love it.
    Bliksem! Mine only has 197K km on it.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    Agreed, that is why I said, place the jerry's in front of the cases, in other words meaning leave the cases where they are, move the sand tracks and canvas bundle to the back.

C

hi. that's where i started but the rack is too narrow at the back for the maxi trax, and also, one can't put that right at the back since then the car aerial is covered etc etc

i drove yesterday at quite some speed and the car handles quite solid with the set up.

Video of Tjoklits Defender with the roof rack kitted out and Jerry Cans fitted
    Not the best video, but the following mods will be very detailed and awesome!!
    https://youtu.be/fowqVehKkok

Great work. Looking good!
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

Looking good!

If I may ask, why did you end up going with the X model?
    Don't you find the all piano black materials scratch easily?

That setup looks very proper now!

Would have been great to have another ND on the river trip we did recently! If you didn't come accross it, here's the video of it:

https://youtu.be/Lnnoy5UD3c0
    https://youtu.be/QUJMgzPDv58

For our very amateur setup, you'll see we just slapped on a rented spare tyre and a Thule roof box on the rack, to house the soft stuff on the way there ( so as to enjoy the mountain passes), and then the Jerry cans and firewood while in the river.

our VERY basic overland setup
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2