Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Radiator motor on a switch ?

Chances are good that there is already a relay for the fan. One just need to check that it gets a pos or neg supply to switch on. One this controlled point one could wire the bypass switch.
    An easy way for blade fuses could be to piggy back another fuse by using a non critical circuit.
    I would also support the mentioned replies to get someone who knows a bit about the wiring.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Maybe post these questions to MikeBob on the Land Rover section, the TDV6 was used in the Discovery 3 and 4 and he knows his way around those engines.

My guess is yes, they are controlled by the ECU and they are also set to be multi-speed fans: they can go faster or slower as per the ECU sensor input and as per the activation of the aircon etc.

My question is: WHY are you screwing with the fans on a highly complicated, very temperamental engine?

If your vehicle is over-heating, it isn't the fans.
    The answer to this is quite long but ill try to sum it up.. After months of research i found that this engine is prone to many things happening including the following major things crank bearings ceasing, injectors breaking, bad shocks, head gasket issues.

Now theres a mountain of other issues that can creep up, and one of them is the one i'm experiencing, which is coolant loss upon car heating up but no signs of any leakage, i have scoured the world wide web for answers including here on the tdv6 forum and there are not many answers as to what the problem can be. And if uts the head gasket...well thats just a downward spiraling rabbit hole not too mention prohibitly costly.

Of the answers i received a few was:
    Water escaping from the head gasket
    Radiator leaking in the corners this motor is prone to this happening.
    Broken Pipe.
    The coolant distribution valve being cracked and coolant vaporising as it falls onto the manifold.

Then it could be other things someone has yet to discover and this brings me to the reason to simply want to keep the motor cool so it does not need to get too hot and lose coolant.

And that reason is, to troubleshoot the water loss issue might take weeks if not longer.

As things will be replaced and then the car needs to be tested, then again more things need to be replaced, tested again and so it goes on i've seen this happen with others sharing their experiences.. until i've spent so much on labour and parts that i could have bought another used car with much less troubleshooting costs.

I have already had to replace the oil pump water pump, rear shocks seals, tappet cover gaskets, twin cambelt kit and all the labour costs i am flat broke and cannot spend another cent.

So thats the reason in a nutshell.

If i could trade the car for something more simplistic it would be great but getting something worthwhile wont be easy so im stuck with the car, not get me wrong i love the car it drives like a dream, however the issues mentioned and costs i cannot afford.

So i must compromise by doing what i can and that the reason for this topic.
    Last edited by stumpo; 2021/09/17 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling

Quote Originally Posted by stumpo View Post
    I am about to reinstall my radiatior fan motors.

I have some questions i hope to get some out of the box thinking advice with
    ?

1.What would be the easiest way to put them on a manual switch ?

And also these fans have 2 plugs each.

One plug is definately the 12 volt plug i tested by putting power to it and the motor switched on, there was just a slight delay before switching on.

But what is the other plug's purpose, its wires is thinner.(could it somehow be used to trigger the motor on and off ?)

2. My engine bay is cramped, and i cannot get the firewall hole to put wires through it.

Is there an easier way, doesn't have to be perfectly neatly done to get the wire from the engine into the cabin ?

At this stage i am so desperate to switch on the motors manually that i am considering putting a switch on the weel well. And climb out the car to switch it on when in bottleneck traffic as the motor heats up.
    I haven't gone through the whole thread, but as far as I know those are variable speed fans.
    Never the less. I have done a VW Golf lookalike system, more than I can count. Put a fan switch in you bottom radiator hose and trigger a 200A relay for your fans. No fancy ECU controlled gremlin can catch you then.

PS. Don't put a manual switch on that fan. You will forget it and cook the engine.
    Last edited by Henris; 2021/09/17 at 05:16 PM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

This is the radiator serial its a johnson gate motor manufactured in 2011.

Not sure if it helps anything as to how they could work... but i thought to post it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210917_164309.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	630211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210917_164251_001.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	630212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210917_164236.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	276.0 KB 
ID:	630213  

Industry standard worldwide terminal 85 of cube relay is ground…

David Vierra
    ‘21 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 3.5L M/T (Sold)
    ‘52 Beech Bonanza

“The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge”
    – Daniel J. Boorstin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AardvarkNV For This Useful Post:

My advice? Get rid of the POS while it still runs.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Been trying.. no takers i'm stuck with it till it dies so i'm trying to extend the ride... i wont be able to afford another vehicle in quite some years...

Anyone might have an idea where that fan control relay might be.. ?

I also have a 12v socket in the engine compartment made for a secondary batter to start the vehicle...(for who knows what reason but it is there) could i hook the fans up with that ? (Main battery is in the boot)

In the manual they caution not to use that bonnet plug to connect another battery if you do not have the primary battery installed and hooked up in the boot)
    That makes even less sense.

None the less can i this this bonnet power point to power the fans ?
    Last edited by stumpo; 2021/09/17 at 06:40 PM.

I purchased a 30 amp relay and a switch, they did not have inline fuses in stock in randburg at midas so i will see if i can make a temporary one and try autozone on monday to replace it with a proper one.

I have tested the fans with the ignotion on and see that if i remove the sensor wire, the fan switches on.

Can i ammend the diagram on page one to instead use the radiator fan wire as the + voltage source to the relay and bypass the idea of using the battery itself as the 12 volt source ?

The battery is around 4 meters away from the fans in the boot , if i can avoid wiring such a massive wire surely it would help ?
    Last edited by stumpo; 2021/09/18 at 02:36 PM.

I have installed several electric fans. Just remember the draw up to 30A. Have seen fans that runs continuously drain a battery in no time. Even with the engine running. Build a system with a temp switch. Put an override switch over the temp switch then you can run the fan manually if needed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Thank you for hhe sound advice i however dont do too many long distance traffic driving so all i
    Neec to do is try to keep it as simple as possible.
    Maybd add a relay or two as suggested earlier.

(Relay and switch fir each fan seperately)

While everything is now open i need advice please as I want to know is if i can use the positive feed from the radiator fan wire itself for the relay.

This is hopefully somewhat of an idea of what the engine compartment wiring looks like:

https://youtu.be/koaEhKSPPXo

https://youtu.be/qO-IH9-Vm0E

https://youtu.be/eZfMG07CGpY
    Last edited by stumpo; 2021/09/18 at 05:07 PM.

That engine already has a belt driven fan with electric clutch, I would much rather first check that it's working properly, and if it is, it's no use switching on an extra set of fans, the problem is elsewhere.

...Now theres a mountain of other issues that can creep up, and one of them is the one i'm experiencing, which is coolant loss upon car heating up but no signs of any leakage...
    You have a nail in your foot and now you want to kill the pain with a Disprin. Rather pull out the nail !
    Kobus

17. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    You have a nail in your foot and now you want to kill the pain with a Disprin. Rather pull out the nail !
    Hy
    Wil
    Nie
    Hoor
    Nie
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Help with a simple question would suffice why the extended sarcasm.

I did not say i am experiencing all of those problems those are problems that might creep up later ill deal with it then, i am mot pushing the motor hard, but in traffic i can do with the radiatior fan kicking in a little earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    That engine already has a belt driven fan with electric clutch, I would much rather first check that it's working properly, and if it is, it's no use switching on an extra set of fans, the problem is elsewhere.
    No belt driven fan i have removed the bumper and the radiator fans there are no other fans mounted near the radiator

All i am asking is the following then the thread.
    can be closed can i do as per the picture attached below and is the wire indicated the negative wire:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

And finally is the wire indicated below the positive wire:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I found that disconnecting the signal wire stops the
    Radiator motor. I will simpy put the signal wire on a switch with a fuse ?
    That way i am in no way interfering wirh the power setup.
    Last edited by stumpo; 2021/09/19 at 08:04 AM.

I found that disconnecting the signal wire stops the
    Radiator motor. I will simpy put the signal wire on a switch with a fuse ?
    That way i am in no way interfering wirh the power setup.
    Don't mess with the smaller radiator wires, those may be a 5V pwm signal. Forget the drawing - switch mod -- completely.

Do the finger tip taste test with the green liquid on your aircon - if it's sweet then it's antifreeze. Then you will need to check water pump and cambelt.

Test with the engine hot and see what speed the fan turns at, then switch on the aircon and see if the fan spins faster. Check which relay clicks for each of the speeds.

Swap the two relays around to see if it makes a difference to the fan speeds.

Test the temp sensor, you said earlier the fan comes on when removing the plug. Check if it switches positive or negative.

It is possible that the temp sensor has 3 pins - one input and two outputs. Outputs for low and high speed.

Do not cut any oem wires. If need be you can remove the relay, then remove the wires from the relay housing. You need to see if positive or negative is used to switch on the relay. Preferably use a multimeter, but wire wrapped around a globe then insulated will also work.

You may get away with manually switching on the relays, if the fan gets to high speed.

You have to check the speeds, if it only works on low speed then you will have the issues that you mentioned, coupled with the fluid leak the temp sensor may not get hot enough to activate high speed.
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.

Alert: possible thread hijack

I have an over-heating problem, but only in heavy traffic. Being a motorcycle, I can snake my way through traffic, but get stopped by the robots in town. Thus, no air flow over the radiator. The fan switches on at 105 degrees C. So, I have added an ignition-on switch to manually switch it on at 95 degrees with the thermo switch acting as a failsafe at 105. When moving again, it quickly returns to the 76 degree range.

I suspect it is a design fault to reduce the weight. Most superbikes have this problem, but yet a Harley, without any watercooling, can idle all day.
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow, GC = 254mm, WD = 820mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast