Default Tankwa in a sedan

Morning forum,

I would appreciate some advice regarding Tankwa.

We would like to spend a few nights in the park, staying at Elansberg, driving from Cape Town in a rental. Looking at the prices of renting a sedan compared to a 4x4, there is a huge difference. Would it be possible to enjoy the park in something like a polo or would it be best to bite the bullet and rent the 4x4? We are planning to go onto mountain zebra national park after tankwa.

Thanks
    1995 Defender 300TDI
    "The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

Default Re: Tankwa in a sedan

You do not need a 4x4 to travel on the regular Tankwa roads. A bakkie or a good SUV will handle the terrain better, but you often see Golfs, Polos or small Toyotas merrily bouncing along. Best to avoid a vehicle with low profile tyres or a car without a proper spare tyre. You will be well advised to take a compressor and tyre plugs.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Merwe Erasmus For This Useful Post:

I think it will be very stressful in a normal car.

You don't need 4x4, but something with decent tyres on as mentioned.

Make sure you take the tyre warranty!
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thepilot2005 View Post
    Morning forum,

I would appreciate some advice regarding Tankwa.

We would like to spend a few nights in the park, staying at Elansberg, driving from Cape Town in a rental. Looking at the prices of renting a sedan compared to a 4x4, there is a huge difference. Would it be possible to enjoy the park in something like a polo or would it be best to bite the bullet and rent the 4x4? We are planning to go onto mountain zebra national park after tankwa.

Thanks
    We stayed at Elandsberg recently. While there we drove around the park and up / down the Gannaga Pass a few times. You don’t need a 4x4….. a normal high clearance 2x4 bakkie or SUV will do perfectly.

That said, I would think twice about a low sedan, especially with low profile / normal road tyres. Some sharp stones on those roads.

The best 4x4 is an Avis Polo
    2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to staalwol For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    I think it will be very stressful in a normal car.

You don't need 4x4, but something with decent tyres on as mentioned.

Make sure you take the tyre warranty!
    I don't know that tyre warranty is always the best way to go. I once rented a bakkie in East London and picked up a puncture (could be easily replaced with plug). On return of the vehicle I mentioned the flat and that it would need to be checked. Conversation went like this:

Me: I picked up a puncture which would need to be plugged, I put on the spare.
    Lady at counter: OK sir, there is a R2000 charge for that
    Me: I've got the tyre insurance.
    LaC: Yes sir, I see that, there is a R2000 charge that we will put against your credit card.
    Me: How is that possible?
    LaC: Here sir, please check the fine print that you signed. Can I use the same credit card you use for the booking?
    Me: What is the use of the tyre insurance then if I have to pay R2000 for a plug that HiQ will probably do for free?
    LaC: (just ignores the question).
    Last edited by 4xhilux; 2021/09/27 at 02:13 PM.
    Current: LC200 4.7P - Back in the Toyota stable
    Ex: Touareg V6 TDi - Sold at 145 000 km. More breakdowns in 2 years than all other vehicles combined in 20.
    Ex: Discovery 4 V8 - Sold at 149 000 km. Awesome vehicle, but a bottomless pit.
    Ex: Fortuner D4D - Sold at 267 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux 2.7i - Sold at 241 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux D4D - Sold at 330 000 km.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 4xhilux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4xhilux View Post
    Conversation went like this:
    So, if you ever get a puncture in a rental, go to your local tyre shop and sort it out yourself before returning the car.

Good lesson.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~135000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 35000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    So, if you ever get a puncture in a rental, go to your local tyre shop and sort it out yourself before returning the car.

Good lesson.
    Yes, this is what I did with a later rental when I got another puncture. Got a puncture at some point, had it plugged at a tyre shop (cost me nothing), and returned the car when my trip was over.
    Current: LC200 4.7P - Back in the Toyota stable
    Ex: Touareg V6 TDi - Sold at 145 000 km. More breakdowns in 2 years than all other vehicles combined in 20.
    Ex: Discovery 4 V8 - Sold at 149 000 km. Awesome vehicle, but a bottomless pit.
    Ex: Fortuner D4D - Sold at 267 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux 2.7i - Sold at 241 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux D4D - Sold at 330 000 km.

Yes well maybe, but any puncture on a normal car tyre in the Tankwa will wreck it. No snot plug will fix it.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

Excellent advice. Thanks for the info’ - I’ll find a more appropriate vehicle than a polo.

We are thoroughly looking forward to seeing that part of the world. I wish I had time to drive the landy down from joburg, another time…
    1995 Defender 300TDI
    "The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

Just keep an eye open for snakes at Elandsberg….we had a yellow cape cobra wanting to come inside.

Have done the Tankwa twice in a Polo and once in a RAV 4 . If you get a Polo - make sure it is the VIVO as it has higher profile tyres and also has a full size spare whereas the newer Polo has a marie biscuit spare. If you drive carefully you shopuld not have a problem. We did have one puncture in a Polo but I plugged it and carried on. We came down the Ouberg Pass then up and down Ganaga staying at Elandsberg all three times. Then out towardsCeres twice and Calvinia once. One minor puncture through this all.
    2021 Suzuki Jimny GLX AT (Kinetic Yellow)
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    2014 Amarok 4Motion Auto (Sold)
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    2019 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 Tekna CVT
    1985 Suzuki SJ413
    Fiat 500 1400MTA (Tweety)

Tankwa is a tyre eater -sidewalls- I know many drivers who have lost tyres - friends only a few weeks ago. I see there is a warning on T4A on the access road. I did not have hassles but drove 60kmh and had 3 ply sidewalls. The worst time to drive is when the roads have been recently graded and there is lots of shale standing upright.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway