estate agents: 99% make the other 1% look bad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default estate agents: 99% make the other 1% look bad

I know we have a few on the forum, no offence to them as I know there are few good ones, but as a "profession" as whole this must rate as the most useless bunch of idiots ever.

3 years ago we were close to finalizing a property deal but other priorities stopped us closing the deal. We are now in a position to try again

Phone the original agent - he's no longer in the game but he will send us his replacements details - does not happen
    Phone up the agency he worked for, way too happy receptionist takes refers us to the current agent for the area promising she will call us - does not happen
    Look up the agents number on their website, phone up the agent who does not have a clue what we are talking about
    Phone up agency again wanting to speak to the DP, sorry but he is not available takes a message to call us back
    No surprises we are still waiting.
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Default Re: estate agents: 99% make the other 1% look bad

Same thing on myside, still waiting to hear back from all of the ones i initially spoke to...

I honestly have no idea what they actually do except for the sunday show day thing.
    If theres agents on here, maybe you can educate my ignorance?

Ive spoken to three agents in the past couple months. Given my requirements etc, and heard nothing since.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

My dad was an estate agent for decades. Was one of the pioneers that sold all the residential plots down Zambezi road in the 70s.

One should not speak ill of the dead, but his motto was only to work as hard as needed to cover the brannas and the next holiday...........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I honestly have no idea what they actually do except for the sunday show day thing.

Ive spoken to three agents in the past couple months. Given my requirements etc, and heard nothing since.
    I am no agent, but why spend time and money to run around and finding that house you describe to them, then change your mind and buy one from a competing agent? They can rather spend that effort in selling a house someone have trusted them to sell as quick as possible (maybe the one you were unconsciously looking for) and not the one you initially describe to agent....

It has to be said that they are generally having quite a good time at the moment. What with the interest rates at 7%, there's a whole new pool of buyers, as well as a whole other lot now able to buy up a few notches. My MIL is an agent, and I have many agent friends. They are coining it at the moment. Unfortunately, as with most things, when it is going well, the incentive to deliver good service dwindles a bit.
    Current: 2012 Volvo V40 D3 Elite Geartronic

SWAMBO: 2016 Volvo XC60 D4 Inscription Geartronic

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kix For This Useful Post:

In my experience, and admittedly generalizing, they are only interested to the point where the offer to purchase is signed, then poof, gone. So you basically end up paying someone to advertise and bring people to your place to come and have a look. All the promises of assistance and following through to the handover of keys fades away quickly.

What I did learn was that if you have a very good legal firm involved, in our case we convinced the seller to use the same firm we used to sell our previous place, they made it a very easy and pleasant process, keeping us informed up to the point of the nominated date of registration.
    Anton van Graan

2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
    2007 VW Caddy Life TDi
    2004 VW Polo 1.6 Comfortline
    1997 Citigolf 1.3

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OettingerTDi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post
    I am no agent, but why spend time and money to run around and finding that house you describe to them, then change your mind and buy one from a competing agent? They can rather spend that effort in selling a house someone have trusted them to sell as quick as possible (maybe the one you were unconsciously looking for) and not the one you initially describe to agent....
    It's exactly this why you could score a good deal on a property. If it's not a sole mandate, you play them off against each other.

We made our agent work for their commission. It's after all why you use one, to do all the legwork for you at the bond originator, seller ect ect.

Quote Originally Posted by OettingerTDi View Post
    In my experience, and admittedly generalizing, they are only interested to the point where the offer to purchase is signed, then poof, gone. So you basically end up paying someone to advertise and bring people to your place to come and have a look. All the promises of assistance and following through to the handover of keys fades away quickly.

What I did learn was that if you have a very good legal firm involved, in our case we convinced the seller to use the same firm we used to sell our previous place, they made it a very easy and pleasant process, keeping us informed up to the point of the nominated date of registration.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    It's exactly this why you could score a good deal on a property. If it's not a sole mandate, you play them off against each other.

We made our agent work for their commission. It's after all why you use one, to do all the legwork for you at the bond originator, seller ect ect.
    These two posts have relevance. The EA will only do what they have to do to get the signatures. Make sure that a Sole Mandate agent works for their money, which includes sourcing a proper bond transfer legal team.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I could share many stories but I am still busy with my prescribed home work from the last estate agency thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    It has to be said that they are generally having quite a good time at the moment. What with the interest rates at 7%, there's a whole new pool of buyers, as well as a whole other lot now able to buy up a few notches. My MIL is an agent, and I have many agent friends. They are coining it at the moment. Unfortunately, as with most things, when it is going well, the incentive to deliver good service dwindles a bit.
    Haha, this makes me think of about 10?? years ago, we were looking at getting a bigger place. Saw an advert for a place with a "large garden" in Boardwalk Meander estate in Pretoria. Agent takes us there, the garden is TINY at about 300 m2, so we asked about bigger places. She proceeds to actually show us a house for about R4.5m, which fell way outside our budget. As she drops us off at the gate, she says: "OK, I won't be phoning you, you can phone me when you have more money".
    Current: LC200 4.7P - Back in the Toyota stable
    Ex: Touareg V6 TDi - Sold at 145 000 km. More breakdowns in 2 years than all other vehicles combined in 20.
    Ex: Discovery 4 V8 - Sold at 149 000 km. Awesome vehicle, but a bottomless pit.
    Ex: Fortuner D4D - Sold at 267 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux 2.7i - Sold at 241 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux D4D - Sold at 330 000 km.

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    I know we have a few on the forum, no offence to them as I know there are few good ones, but as a "profession" as whole this must rate as the most useless bunch of idiots ever.

3 years ago we were close to finalizing a property deal but other priorities stopped us closing the deal. We are now in a position to try again

Phone the original agent - he's no longer in the game but he will send us his replacements details - does not happen
    Phone up the agency he worked for, way too happy receptionist takes refers us to the current agent for the area promising she will call us - does not happen
    Look up the agents number on their website, phone up the agent who does not have a clue what we are talking about
    Phone up agency again wanting to speak to the DP, sorry but he is not available takes a message to call us back
    The agency or agent might have unnecessarily labeled you as a time waster due to the previous deal that did not happen.
    Obviously they won't say it direct but might just be saying it among themselves.

Either way the proffession as a whole is almost obselete. Technology will disrupt the whole property buying and selling, registering transferring etc.

technically the tech exists today to do the whole thing online.

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Eish... I have been throwing away a LOT of little papers stuck to my gate with sticky tape from agents, saying "I have a buyer for your house" - should have kept them and sent it to you
    Attie

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

I had 3 agents working to sell my house (midway through completing the sale now). One worked very hard and had several show days. One worked less hard and luckily got the right buyer at the right time. One I only saw 2-3 times in 3 months!

Like all professions there are the good, the bad and the ugly.

Time will tell if they actually assist now that the offer to purchase has been signed etc...
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Sold)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

MullerZa, I have someone I can highly recommend if the property is in Benoni?

Estate agents compete with car sales people.

There are good people in both professions. The problem is that you need a good one who works on the area you are buying or selling. Not easy. Also somebody who was good in the past may not be the same today (happened to me).

I used to talk to estate agents a lot. Too easy to start. Many are there as they lost a husband or a job.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2015 Grand Cherokee Summit Petrol
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Buying and selling property with investment value (buy low, sell high) is hard work. It is financially rewarding, but tedious hard work that takes time and smart effort. Paying a premium or selling at the "going" rate is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post

Bypass the agent and do the legwork yourself. If the agent knows more about the property than you do, he is in a stronger negotiating position.

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    The agency or agent might have unnecessarily labeled you as a time waster due to the previous deal that did not happen.
    Obviously they won't say it direct but might just be saying it among themselves.

Either way the proffession as a whole is almost obselete. Technology will disrupt the whole property buying and selling, registering transferring etc.

technically the tech exists today to do the whole thing online.
    Don't rely on the "agency" to "make" the deal. Just "use" the agent as a facilitator.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    MullerZa, I have someone I can highly recommend if the property is in Benoni?

Linbro Park/Modderfontein AH area
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

One thing I can add is that in any dealings with estate agents, when you are at the buy or sell documentation stage, get a lawyer to check it all out. We have and small mistakes were picked up and minor changes made that, in my view, more than paid for the attorney's cost. It could save you from a really serious bungle as well.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudgrubber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post

They sit around at the office drinking tea and talking ### about other agents and their clients..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast