Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Vehicle with off road trailer recovery

In December we will be doing the Delta. Three or four vehicles (no winches) all pulling off road trailers. My question is what is the correct recovery procedure to follow should one of the vehicles get bogged down.

Any ideas or tips from past experiences out there ?

Default Re: Vehicle with off road trailer recovery

Contact Tony Yeo on this forum and ask him to do a 4x4 and recovery refresher course for the group!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Condor For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JB15 View Post
    In December we will be doing the Delta. Three or four vehicles (no winches) all pulling off road trailers. My question is what is the correct recovery procedure to follow should one of the vehicles get bogged down.

Google is your friend. From seeing some video recoveries of what incorrectly used snatch ropes can do to a person and vehicle is scary. Best get a course on correct recovery procedures by a qualified person.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Call Henris........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

We were in a similar situation in Moz a couple of years ago. We found that six recovery boards made all the difference for when a vehicle and trailer got bogged.

When you look at kinetic ropes, take the weight of your vehicle and trailer into account when selecting the proper weight rating.
    Last edited by ChrisBlatherwick; 2021/09/16 at 04:57 PM.
    2021 Ford Ranger Raptor
    Rhino 4x4 Rocksliders
    Superior load cover
    Rhino 4x4 Sports bar

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChrisBlatherwick For This Useful Post:

All I can really add is to think carefully before un-hitching the trailer, it may not always be easier to recover the trailer separately and if you don't have a good plan for that it may be landing you in a worse situation.
    Last edited by Commander; 2021/09/21 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Changed my view based on new input.

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Carry less weight, leave the potjies and sink at home. You can share some goods and save weight that way too. Enjoy.
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbief For This Useful Post:

Yes I guess the vehicles weigh +/- 2000k and trailer +/- 1100 = 3 to 3.5 tons in total so strap breaking strain of 9 to 10 tons should be ok. We will put six recovery boards on the shopping list - Thanks for that bit of advice. The tricky bit will depend on which vehicle gets stuck. If its the last one then its not really a big problem. Obviously pulling any of them out backwards is not possible so one of the vehicles would have to unhitch and try to go around. This is where the tricky part comes in because no 2 now stands an even greater chance of also getting stuck.

Maybe I am just overthinking this whole thing, I don't know.
    Last edited by JB15; 2021/09/16 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    All I can really add is don't unhook the trailer.
    For sure.

This thing is keeping me awake at night.

From what I gather the Delta water level is at its highest in Jun/Jul so in Dec it should be considerably lower.

Maybe its not an issue at all.
    Last edited by JB15; 2021/09/16 at 06:16 PM.

For sure.

This thing is keeping me awake at night.

From what I gather the Delta water level is at its highest in Jun/Jul so in Dec it should be considerably lower.

Maybe its not an issue at all.
    Not my understanding. November to March the wettest. It's all wet right now from a really wet summer but receding. Average rains from November and you're going to need water wings again because the water table is high already.

My advice, make sure recovery points are correct on the vehicles, straps properly rated and long enough to get the recovery vehicles (yeah, more than one) onto dry land, high lift jacks and wheel straps so you don't need proper HL jacking points (and very good instructions on how to use it). Take no chances, water crossings only if absolutely unavoidable and then with the proper precautions. Go on a course for driving and recovery.
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2021/09/16 at 07:45 PM.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

I did extensive travelling in Namibia with heavy double axle trailer. If I got stuck part of my tools at the time was a tirfor with slings, shackle etc. This was the easiest way of recovery in any situation. Here to tell the tale.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wylie E For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    I did extensive travelling in Namibia with heavy double axle trailer. If I got stuck part of my tools at the time was a tirfor with slings, shackle etc. This was the easiest way of recovery in any situation. Here to tell the tale.
    Just learned something new. Only issue is the size and weight of the thing, bulky and heavy. Can't find references for using a plasma rope rather than steel cable to lower weight somewhat, but at 20kg and a box of about 300mm X 300mm X 500mm quite bulky.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

I had a load bed full of tools and materials. If you have a winch mounted up front and end up with your nose in the drink your winch is useless. As long as you have stamina you can pull tirfor out wherever you packed it and pull yourself out be forward backwards or sideways. You always have an option compared to a winch which is normally mounted in front. One time I got stuck with trailer in soft sand at a site. Unhitched and moved bakkie to where I could set up RTT the next day I used hitch on front of vehicle but trailer was to bogged to move. Tirfor around a tree to tow hitch through under trailer. Safari fully loaded plus trailer heavily loaded was moved no problem with 1.5 ton tirfor. Didnt even break a sweat. This at Eenhana in Namibia. Just one such recoveries I did. Filled up many a passport going in and out Namibia. Never had a winch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    Support here from me too on this. Iíve never had a fixed winch, but travelled many trips with a Turfor and cable. They are heavy and slow, but get a steady pull, without a lot of effort. A bit bulky to pack, so packed deep and low down in the back of the Landy .

If you get stuck, youíll have plenty of time to get to it.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew D For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Just learned something new. Only issue is the size and weight of the thing, bulky and heavy. Can't find references for using a plasma rope rather than steel cable to lower weight somewhat, but at 20kg and a box of about 300mm X 300mm X 500mm quite bulky.
    It clamps the rope, so I donít think it would work with a plasma rope. From a weight point of view, it would be worth investigating

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew D View Post
    It clamps the rope, so I don’t think it would work with a plasma rope. From a weight point of view, it would be worth investigating
    I was gonna add perhaps a hitch receiver mounted removable winch that can be moved from one vehicle to the next would be helpful. But I think the turfor is even better for the same reason you mentioned.
    Much cheaper than a winch.
    More versatile in a pinch.
    Works under water.
    Less that can go wrong.

Sure it is bulky to pack, but if you are losing sleep over the possibility of getting stuck it should be a worth while investment and worth while packing.

I will seriously consider getting one for myself as it looks like a worth while tool to have.

@Andrew, just a question, I don't really see anything rated over 1600kg, from your account it doesn't seem to be a problem pulling 3t+ with it? I guess if the pull is too heavy the lever just becomes too difficult to pull as the cable and hooks will be much stronger?
    Last edited by Commander; 2021/09/17 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Question regarding weight limit added.

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

There is some horrible stuff in the Delta, it is known as Black cotton soil. This stuff is a clingy compact black mud that sticks stronger than gorilla glue. If you come across this stuff and some one gets stuck, do not try to drive yourself out, either get the sand boards out straight away or get a kinetic strap on. It is easy to get bogged in this stuff if there is too much wheel spin.

My recommendation for the group would be

https://youtu.be/trrEKbc6uqE
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

I was gonna add perhaps a hitch receiver mounted removable winch that can be moved from one vehicle to the next would be helpful. But I think the turfor is even better for the same reason you mentioned.
    Much cheaper than a winch.
    More versatile in a pinch.
    Works under water.
    Less that can go wrong.

Sure it is bulky to pack, but if you are losing sleep over the possibility of getting stuck it should be a worth while investment and worth while packing.

I will seriously consider getting one for myself as it looks like a worth while tool to have.

@Andrew, just a question, I don't really see anything rated over 1600kg, from your account it doesn't seem to be a problem pulling 3t+ with it? I guess if the pull is too heavy the lever just becomes too difficult to pull as the cable and hooks will be much stronger?
    MAC AFRIC 5.4 Ton Multi – Purpose Wire Rope Pulling Hoist

https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/...pulling-hoist/

But its heavy! But maybe still lighter than a replacement bumper/bull bar and winch combo? Its cheaper and only one vehicle needs to carry it.

Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2021/09/17 at 10:39 AM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Each vehicle should have a bridle, a tow strap and either D shackles or my favourite web shackles. One kinetic strap should be enough for the group, you can only snatch one at a time, but you can tow in a train
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

All I can really add is don't unhook the trailer.
    That cannot be generic statement.
    If you get truly stuck, you first recover the vehicle, then worry about the trailer.

Done so many times, but now with the winch I am also getting lazy, even then, in a critical situation, get your wheels turning and moving then return for the trailer.

If you try and get the whole rig moving, you risk to damage the clutch or overheat the engine, whatever, then you are truly buggered.

I would say it very much depends:
    - Incline or flat ground?
    - maneuvering space?
    - recovery assistance by other vehicle?

I would never snatch recover a rig with the trailer attached.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast