Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    78
    Posts
    1,629
    Thanked: 821

    Default Designing and building a new braai.

    Summer is on its way and I am going to scrap my old braai and build a new braai. I want to incorporate the idea of having a slot behind the braai to continually burn the wood and allow large coals to fall through continuously. I will have 2 types of grids. My current grid which is a closed mesh grid previously shown plus an Argentina type grid made as angle iron flutes out of 2mm stainless steel. See pictures to get the idea. The reason for 2 grids is sometimes there is a small party braaiing and other times you need a greater area. Also each grid gives you a different cooking result. I have also got a flat stainless steel pan for frying if necessary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Braai design MvR.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	505.3 KB 
ID:	630081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Idea 1.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	630082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Idea 2.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	630083  
    The more we talk about what is wrong, the less we see what is right in this world.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,062
    Thanked: 2263

    Default Re: Designing and building a new braai.

    Sounds like a plan. I would encourage to you consider the following.

    You need to reach over an already hot fire to load up the fire bin.
    You are adding depth to the braai so the braai will protrude further into your entertainment area.
    You are adding a significant amount of additional heat.

    I elected not to go with the steel built in braai due the the heat reflected, it can make braaing unpleasant when you have a very hot fire. Mine is brick back and sides and top and man does it get hot in the braaier's position, if you carry a boep even worse. My braai would be unmanageable with an additional heat source at the rear.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Durban North.. my name Dudley Reid
    Age
    66
    Posts
    867
    Thanked: 5337

    Default Re: Designing and building a new braai.

    The front of your braai should be higher than your coals, either by way of bricks
    (loose stacked or built in) or a steel plate that stops the heat coming out the front.
    The steel plate can also be loose standing with the 2 ends folded back at 90°for its own support ,also easy to remove for cleaning

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dudleytheplumber For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    78
    Posts
    1,629
    Thanked: 821

    Default Re: Designing and building a new braai.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Sounds like a plan. I would encourage to you consider the following.

    You need to reach over an already hot fire to load up the fire bin.
    You are adding depth to the braai so the braai will protrude further into your entertainment area.
    You are adding a significant amount of additional heat.

    I elected not to go with the steel built in braai due the the heat reflected, it can make braaing unpleasant when you have a very hot fire. Mine is brick back and sides and top and man does it get hot in the braaier's position, if you carry a boep even worse. My braai would be unmanageable with an additional heat source at the rear.
    You are quite right, I may now consider a side fire box and also put my braai grid on gate casters? Thank you for your input
    The more we talk about what is wrong, the less we see what is right in this world.

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Umhlanga
    Age
    65
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 17

    Default Designing and building a new braai.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Summer is on its way and I am going to scrap my old braai and build a new braai. I want to incorporate the idea of having a slot behind the braai to continually burn the wood and allow large coals to fall through continuously. I will have 2 types of grids. My current grid which is a closed mesh grid previously shown plus an Argentina type grid made as angle iron flutes out of 2mm stainless steel. See pictures to get the idea. The reason for 2 grids is sometimes there is a small party braaiing and other times you need a greater area. Also each grid gives you a different cooking result. I have also got a flat stainless steel pan for frying if necessary.
    Hi MikevR. Would you kindly let me know what program you used for the plan and cross section. Appreciated
    Last edited by Keith M; 2021/09/20 at 09:50 PM.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    78
    Posts
    1,629
    Thanked: 821

    Default Re: Designing and building a new braai.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith M View Post
    Hi MikevR. Would you kindly let me know what program you used for the plan and cross section. Appreciated
    Hi Keith I used an Excel spread sheet and created brick size blocks 220mm x 110mm. It is very easy to do. It also helps the builder when laying the bricks. My foundations are set so we will be building on Friday. I will add a picture. I have decided to go for a side Fire box so my back to front dimensions will change. I also want to increase overall length of pit so I can use stands when folks bring their own Braai Racks. Each person can then get their own heap of coals.
    The more we talk about what is wrong, the less we see what is right in this world.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Umhlanga
    Age
    65
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 17

    Default Designing and building a new braai.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Hi Keith I used an Excel spread sheet and created brick size blocks 220mm x 110mm. It is very easy to do. It also helps the builder when laying the bricks. My foundations are set so we will be building on Friday. I will add a picture. I have decided to go for a side Fire box so my back to front dimensions will change. I also want to increase overall length of pit so I can use stands when folks bring their own Braai Racks. Each person can then get their own heap of coals.
    Thanks very much, MikevR. Appreciated, The fire box you propose is unique in a brick braai so many will be waiting for posts of it in operation. Some good suggestions have been made which you have incorporated. All the best with the project, Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 2021/09/21 at 08:41 AM.

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    78
    Posts
    1,629
    Thanked: 821

    Default Re: Designing and building a new braai.

    I will start my Braai build on Friday but in the mean time have be looking for alternate grids etc in preparation for our first braai day. I was fortunate to find an old cast iron braai pan and grid from a gas braai that i have cleaned and oiled and baked in an oven - I also have sanded down an old laminated block that was an extension to a bar. This will be my outside cutting block. I treated it with Cocoanut oil as it will be a food cutting surface.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grid 2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	399.3 KB 
ID:	630668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grid.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	424.6 KB 
ID:	630669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reclaimed board.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	390.5 KB 
ID:	630670  
    The more we talk about what is wrong, the less we see what is right in this world.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    78
    Posts
    1,629
    Thanked: 821

    Default Re: Designing and building a new braai.

    Some of the cement is still wet so cannot try it out until tomorrow. Grid and pan can be moved off until coals are ready. Firebox is there to supply continuous coals as you are braaiing. I have incorporated the Weber for various usages but am also thinking of using the Weber to house the Poitjie pot.

    1. Firebox
    2. Braai side of Firebox
    3. Rods to support pan and grid
    4. Weber, Pan and Braai grid in place
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1. Fire Box for Coals.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	500.9 KB 
ID:	630851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2. Braai side of Fire Box.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	550.3 KB 
ID:	630852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3. Braai grid supports.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	529.2 KB 
ID:	630853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4. Braai Pan and Grid in place with Weber.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	484.5 KB 
ID:	630854  
    Last edited by MikevR; 2021/09/25 at 12:46 PM.
    The more we talk about what is wrong, the less we see what is right in this world.

  15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Umhlanga
    Age
    65
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 17

    Default Re: Designing and building a new braai.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Some of the cement is still wet so cannot try it out until tomorrow. Grid and pan can be moved off until coals are ready. Firebox is there to supply continuous coals as you are braaiing. I have incorporated the Weber for various usages but am also thinking of using the Weber to house the Poitjie pot.

    1. Firebox
    2. Braai side of Firebox
    3. Rods to support pan and grid
    4. Weber, Pan and Braai grid in place
    Looking good, MikevR

    Don't be in a hurry to light. You need the cement etc to cure a bit.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith M For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    78
    Posts
    1,629
    Thanked: 821

    Default Re: Designing and building a new braai.

    Vertical Rotisserie


    I decided to install a vertical rotisserie opposite the fire box. We did some heat trials last night to decide distance from fire as a vertical heat source is different to being underneath. I also had to protect the rotisserie motor from getting too hot so I have installed a temporary heat shield.

    We are doing our first trial, watching carefully while we nurse a nice glass of red wine. Chicken should take about 80 minutes. Using a thermometer to check internal temps. Hope the chicken fat falls on the veggies. Just a trial run though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotisserie motor with heat shield.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	345.4 KB 
ID:	631271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vertical Rotisserie.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	371.3 KB 
ID:	631272  
    The more we talk about what is wrong, the less we see what is right in this world.

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    78
    Posts
    1,629
    Thanked: 821

    Default Re: Designing and building a new braai.

    The Braai area is now complete. I have added a sliding frame that I can move from side to side over different temp coals depending on how I heap them up. I can use different pans or grills / grates depending on what i want to cook. The pictures only show a cast iron pan as well as a cast grill / grid. Will be braaiing on Saturday night. Will get a couple of juicy Rib Eye Steaks from the butcher tomorrow morning. Enjoy the weekend all of you.

    1. Rolling frame
    2. Pan and grill in cold position
    3. Pan and grill in hot position
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rolling support frame.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	480.4 KB 
ID:	631478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grill and pan in cold position.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	447.8 KB 
ID:	631479   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grill and pan in hot position.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	531.0 KB 
ID:	631480  
    The more we talk about what is wrong, the less we see what is right in this world.

  21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:


  22. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    48
    Posts
    985
    Thanked: 2119

    Default Re: Designing and building a new braai.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Vertical Rotisserie


    I decided to install a vertical rotisserie opposite the fire box. We did some heat trials last night to decide distance from fire as a vertical heat source is different to being underneath. I also had to protect the rotisserie motor from getting too hot so I have installed a temporary heat shield.

    We are doing our first trial, watching carefully while we nurse a nice glass of red wine. Chicken should take about 80 minutes. Using a thermometer to check internal temps. Hope the chicken fat falls on the veggies. Just a trial run though.
    I have visions of loosening meat sliding off and making furry four footed assistant braaiers very happy.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:


  24. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    78
    Posts
    1,629
    Thanked: 821

    Default Re: Designing and building a new braai.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    I have visions of loosening meat sliding off and making furry four footed assistant braaiers very happy.
    Meat cannot slide off as the plate and / or grill as they are absolutely level and wall is too high for hounds. The slide mechanism needs a firm shove to move.
    The more we talk about what is wrong, the less we see what is right in this world.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:


  26. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    48
    Posts
    985
    Thanked: 2119

    Default Re: Designing and building a new braai.

    Whew.

    I have a cast iron braai. The heat retention is noticeable in how quickly the meat is done compared to my steel grid.

    This truly looks like many hours of fun ahead of you.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:


  28. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Durban North.. my name Dudley Reid
    Age
    66
    Posts
    867
    Thanked: 5337

    Default Re: Designing and building a new braai.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Meat cannot slide off as the plate and / or grill as they are absolutely level and wall is too high for hounds. The slide mechanism needs a firm shove to move.
    Markus and Zelda take note...
    No hound Access!!

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Dudleytheplumber For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •