Thread: Beach Buggy

Default Beach Buggy

Sorry I know it is not 4x4 related ,but I think a beach Buggy can go where some 4x4`s can`t ---I have inherited a beach buggy project and the chassis has no number on it--there is only a number on the motor --What needs to be done to get the vehicle registered--Someone told me to register as new build up , but do need papers for the body parts and spares (like receipts) ?

Any help please.

Mark
    Toyota Fortuner D-4D 4x4 AT---My "speed control en navigasie "sisteem is al oor die 50 jaar oud!Ham Call ZS1SSM

Default Re: Beach Buggy

Hi Mark

On the top of the VW pan (chassis) towards the back where the transmission tunnel flares there is a inspection cover just behind / or in front of that cover is where you will find the chassis number. The third digit of the serial number indicates the year model.

Good luck

Kind regards
    Neil
    Neil Sauls

2011 Isuzu KB 300LX 4x4 D/C

VW Cross Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sanderson View Post
    Sorry I know it is not 4x4 related ,but I think a beach Buggy can go where some 4x4`s can`t ---I have inherited a beach buggy project and the chassis has no number on it--there is only a number on the motor --What needs to be done to get the vehicle registered--Someone told me to register as new build up , but do need papers for the body parts and spares (like receipts) ?

Any help please.

Mark
    When it comes to driving in sand, this is certainly true, but that is about it.

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    Hi Mark

On the top of the VW pan (chassis) towards the back where the transmission tunnel flares there is a inspection cover just behind / or in front of that cover is where you will find the chassis number. The third digit of the serial number indicates the year model.

Good luck

Kind regards
    Neil

Hi Neil.

Had a look--nothing there
    Toyota Fortuner D-4D 4x4 AT---My "speed control en navigasie "sisteem is al oor die 50 jaar oud!Ham Call ZS1SSM

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    When it comes to driving in sand, this is certainly true, but that is about it.

C
    Hang on.

With proper tyres, a beach buggy does very very well in mud and rocky terrain. It has a short wheel base and is very light.

Its only drawback is power and proper flexing due to the solid pan chassis.

But with its torsion beam setup and flat chassis layout, it climbs well. IIRC Bugger went up Baboons with a modded buggy.

I use mine on the farm and trust me, it climbs like a goat
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"You too need a new signature" - Hedgehog

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Hang on.

With proper tyres, a beach buggy does very very well in mud and rocky terrain. It has a short wheel base and is very light.

But with its torsion beam setup and flat chassis layout, it climbs well. IIRC Bugger went up Baboons with a modded buggy.

goat taste better!
    beat that!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jadranko For This Useful Post:

I had a Rogue Jeep built on a beetle chassis complete with a VW1300 single port engine and the older Combi transmission which had the reduction hubs.
    This little beauty could climb and travel everywhere. We did a 7 day trip to the Transkei with it. Just used a large piece on canvas which we put down drove the vehicle onto it wrapped it and then pushed/,pulled in into the river and "floated" it across.
    Neil Sauls

VW Cross Up

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeilMac For This Useful Post:

sorry here a photo of it&nbsp;<br><br><br>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rogue buggie.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	630055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rogue buggie 2.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	630056  
    Neil Sauls

VW Cross Up

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NeilMac For This Useful Post:

Hang on.

I can vouch for that too. One Baberspan a Landcruiser got stuck in front of me and was blocking my path (granted he was driving like a chop!). Pushed him out from behind and did not get stuck myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

Hang on.

The problem is ground clearance! Anything that eve an Amarok can climb over will stop a buggy, unless it is lifted or fitted with seriously large tyres.

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Any help please.

Mark
    We have tested and played with VW Buggies all over. Even built our own pipe car with a rear mounted engine for hunting.
    Buggies are good on beaches and smooth drift sand dunes. In technical dune driving and deep sand tracks 4x4`s drive circles around them.

Out of frustration I converted the pipe car to 4x4. Everything were fine when on the move. Once you stop against a dune there is no way you are able to pull away. You need to reverse down and gain momentum to get going again. Were almost unstoppable after the 4x4 conversion.

I also built my own buggy. The chassis did not hav a number. I took a 1mm plate and punched my own number on it, sort of similar to the originals. I pop rivited it to the chassis where the orginals are. Painted the whole area with the same paint. It went through roadworthy without hassles.

I still have it after 40 years plus. It can go almost anywhere but the driver has the bigger influence than that capability.

Tyres with massive sidewalls pumped very low pressure work wonders. I used 0.3 bar in front and it still did not bulge much. Do not use bridgestone, the tyre sidewalls are too hard and does not bulge at all with NO pressure inside. Use like soft road tyres, they work best. Do not go wide at all and diameter is everything. I got stuck horribly and continiously on 14 inch wide formala 1 tyres.

Soften the front suspension and remove the stabiliser. Jack op the rear and readjust the rear toe out to spec. Very enjoyable vehicle if you sort it out properly. Replace original wheel brake silinders to move brake bias to the rear wheels. (Different diameters) The braking must be re-balanced as the weight distribution is totally different from the original beatle. It simple does not stop properly if you keep it original. (Damn dangerous.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter de Waal View Post
    I also built my own buggy. The chassis did not hav a number. I took a 1mm plate and punched my own number on it, sort of similar to the originals. I pop rivited it to the chassis where the orginals are. Painted the whole area with the same paint. It went through roadworthy without hassles.

I still have it after 40 years plus. It can go almost anywhere but the driver has the bigger influence than that capability.

Tyres with massive sidewalls pumped very low pressure work wonders. I used 0.3 bar in front and it still did not bulge much. Do not use bridgestone, the tyre sidewalls are too hard and does not bulge at all with NO pressure inside. Use like soft road tyres, they work best. Do not go wide at all and diameter is everything. I got stuck horribly and continiously on 14 inch wide formala 1 tyres.

Soften the front suspension and remove the stabiliser. Jack op the rear and readjust the rear toe out to spec. Very enjoyable vehicle if you sort it out properly. Replace original wheel brake silinders to move brake bias to the rear wheels. (Different diameters) The braking must be re-balanced as the weight distribution is totally different from the original beatle. It simple does not stop properly if you keep it original. (Damn dangerous.)
    With the new computerized system that will not work

With the new computerized system that will not work
    Miskien nie. Daai chassis is voor computors gebou en hulle het nie daai nommers op hulle stelsel nie