Sani Pass

Thread: Sani Pass

Default Sani Pass

Is there someone that intends traveling from Bethelem direction to Kokstad through Lesotho down the Sani pass in the last week of October. I am planning a trip to Natal north coast going that route but don't want to travel alone. I have to be in Mtunzini on the 31st October.
    1996 Landrover 300Tdi--480000km with redesigned radiator
    2011 Landcruiser 76 Stationwagon--150000km
    ZS6YM
    ZS1YM

Default Re: Sani Pass

you should be OK on your own.

I did this trip many moons back in my Ser3S that had just had the nissan LD28 engine overhauled. I was driving from Kendal Power Station back to Hillcrest, and looking at the map, I thought I would be in for an extra hour or 3 doing the lesotho route vs the N3. Admittedly the Landy was no ball of fire as I recall the majority of the trip was bouncing around between 2500 and 3300m or thereabouts?

There were many long twisty downhills that I made use of low gear braking for, as I was not confident of the Landy brakes doing the job alone on declines of that magnitude. Then at one point I recall hitting a 19% grade where I had to shift into low range as the old girl could not keep puffing along in 1st (and the landy has a pretty low first gear.)

When I did it, I believe that USAID had resurfaced most of the route, so up until (Motlohong ) it was all very nice tar, and then it rapidly degraded into very poor tar road and then full dirt road.

I slept over in the freestate the night before and crossed into Lesotho probably around 07h00 thinking I would get home around 14h00. As I hit the dirt road the heavens opened, but by then it was already 14h00 and I was gunning for the border. The landy was getting thrown around wildly and bits and pieces were falling off as I raced from one pothole to the next. I eventually slithered sideways into the border at around 15h55 and only just made it through and ended home a fair bit later that night.

I am not sure of the current road conditions, and I am sure a Turbo Diesel will do better with the altitude than my old NA landy, but I think you still need to be cautious of brake fade on the long downhill sections, so I would take those with caution. It was a very nice drive all told, but just donít assume it would be a 1-2 hr trip like I did.

Thanks for the information, I'll be using the Cruiser Land Rover is out of service at the moment. Not too fussed about doing it alone but would like to have company and back up if needed. I am told there is accommodation at the top of the pass , need to check on that.
    1996 Landrover 300Tdi--480000km with redesigned radiator
    2011 Landcruiser 76 Stationwagon--150000km
    ZS6YM
    ZS1YM

Quote Originally Posted by Rooiels View Post
    Thanks for the information, I'll be using the Cruiser Land Rover is out of service at the moment. Not too fussed about doing it alone but would like to have company and back up if needed. I am told there is accommodation at the top of the pass , need to check on that.
    Sani top pub chalet. I have not been there in years, but it was pretty much a back packers type affair and pretty basic the last time we stayed there? If you are not cracking on through, I think there are some nice lakes and such one can visit if you are making a multiday trip of it.

I believe Petri is probably well placed to advise on going to katse Dam etc as he seems to do it annually at least. I think you can also do some trout fishing in some of the rivers if you like that sort of thing?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post: