Default Gluten free baking

One of my inner circle is a gluten free-er. May I just say outright that is not a term that is compatible with baking.

None the less, birthdays and other events still happen. And of course just the desire for something yummy doesn't magically disappear.

Therefore this thread for those products and recipes that are a reasonable compromise.

Default Re: Gluten free baking

The Lindt 3 slab brownie recipe is actively delicious with almond flour and erythritol. Different from the regular, but does not feel like a compromise.

The 2 things someone that suddenly finds themselves in this position needs to know is that

1. Without gluten things don't rise.
    2. It needs to bake much longer

So adjust your expectations accordingly

I tried this box from Woolworths this weekend

You can already see on the photo how flat the cake is.

It claims to give 14 cupcakes. I assume they are referring to muffin size (not large muffins), because I got 26 cupcakes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1631439896959.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	629569
    Last edited by Emmie L; 2021/09/12 at 11:57 AM.

They are rice flour based and have a reasonable texture. I piped chocolate whipped cream on to counteract the fact that they are slightly drier than regular cupcakes and placed a raspberry on for texture and flavour. The regulars didn't ask what was wrong and happily ate them, so it is worth a try.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1631439985338.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	629570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1631440016391.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	629571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1631440238629.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	629572

I’m intolerant to about all the grain family ingredients….so no mielie pap, no wheat, no beer (hops or barley I’m not sure), no soya. It is extremely frustrating to say the least. No peanuts.

One will be gobsmacked when looking at the ingredients lists of everyday items in a grocery store. Almost everything has either wheat, maize and/or soy in it.

I must say that the last few years have seen many alternative products on the shelves which helps a lot. But I do from time to time make a “stout” decision and eat a boerie or a boere anys beskuitjie.

Almost all blended spices have wheat/maize in them, so even the lekker braai tjoppies came at a “next day stuffed sinus” price.

There are some alternatives, but if you can’t even enjoy a lekker stukkie droë wors and biltong….it sucks!

Ouch. That's not fun. Can you use rice or tapioca flour at least? I also mix potato starch with rice flour in certain instances.

At least you can still make biltong. I went through a period where I was allergic to all spices and couldn't have biltong at all.

Yes, rice and products made from it….are peeling out of my ears

There are some nice allergen free pre-mix baking products like flap jacks, choc cake & brownies etc.

Health shops also carry a lot of options and weird things like pumpkin noodles, cauliflower wrap bases

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PlaasBakkie For This Useful Post:

1 MINUTE PROTEIN BROWNIE (PALEO, GLUTEN FREE)

Very quick and easy to make, and extremely delicious. (Made in a microwave, I know it's not proper baking but works in a pinch)

I make this one a lot, as I have sweet tooth and it's so easy.

Ingredients

• 1 scoop chocolate protein powder 32-34 grams
    • 1 tbsp coconut flour
    • 2 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice (I don't always add sweetener, as the protein powder already has sweetener in it, but sometimes like to add more, depending on how sweet I want it)
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder
    • 1-2 tbsp cocoa powder adjust to desired chocolate content (Don't always add this either, the protein powder is chocolate flavour)
    • 1 large egg
    • 1/4 cup milk of choice (I have used low fat milk with great results, but can also use regular or almond depending on taste)
    • 1 tbsp chocolate chips of choice (optional)

Instructions

1. Grease a cereal bowl. (I use Spray and Cook)
    2. In a mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, coconut flour, baking powder, granulated sweetener and cocoa powder and mix well.
    3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with the milk and pour into the dry mixture and mix until fully mixed. Top with chocolate chips if desired.
    4. Microwave for 60 seconds and remove from microwave. (Depends on your microwave, sometimes it needs to go just a little longer)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael9980 For This Useful Post:

My son has been gf for 5 years and swambo for 1. It is all about adjustments. There are various products from Woolies that works well. There is no baking from scratch in our house. Spices are available in most stores these days and our butcher makes gf biltong and drywors. Don't give up. With time comes mastery and even this mountain becomes a moleheap. Except when trying to eat out...
    Choose life