Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Richtersveld would you rooftop or take an explorer ?

I am going to Richtersveld in October for the first time , the question is do I take my Jurgens Explorer or only my rooftop. We will be going to Sendlingsdrif, De Hoop and Kokerboomkloof.

Default Re: Richtersveld would you rooftop or take an explorer ?

Roof Top …
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Definitely rooftop. Some of the tracks are narrow with tight turns.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

RTT is advisable. Although you can go with explorer driving with some care, and then go exploring without it attached.

Last edited by Weekend_Warrior; 2021/09/13 at 09:30 PM.

Different opinion; I would say it depends how long you are going for and how slow you are prepared to travel.

Akkedis pass seems to be wider and easier to negotiate than it used to be, but on-coming traffic is still a problem. Next time we go it will be with our caravan, again.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:

wad

We went there in July with our Bush Lapa Miskruier and it was great. Had no issues with the roads but took it slow(er) on akkedis pass and helskloof. Most people had RTT’s but I did see a Mobi Lodge at Kokerboomkloof.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doring Danie For This Useful Post:

wad

We had 2 weeks there in late 2019, took our Bushlapa Baobab. Take it slowly no hassles whatsoever. Akkedis is okay if cautious but agree with Malcolm, not certain what we would have done if there was another car pulling a trailer coming in the opposite direction on Akkedis, we prayed hard.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/09/14 at 12:57 AM.
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Ratel" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Quote Originally Posted by Weekend_Warrior View Post
    RTT is advisable. Although you can go with explorer driving with some care, and then go exploring without it attached.

Very nice breakdown of the basics. A question for everyone who’s been there, will 4x2 with difflock be sufficient? Doesn’t look too rugged.
    2019 Ford Ranger
    2006 KTM 950 Adv

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    Winston Churchill

I would suggest that if you are going to stay 2 nights or longer at each campsite then take an explorer

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frog For This Useful Post:

We took the Bushlapa Boskriek to Richtersveld last year this time, the comments re Akkedis and narrow roads is very valid but fortunately we traversed this without incident (oncoming traffic). We left via Helskloof which last year this time was in quite a bad state in places due to damage from the previous floods. I would most likely not tow something there again and would use RTT or ground tent purely from an ease of use point of view. Just my personal observation.

Quote Originally Posted by jfe View Post
    Very nice breakdown of the basics. A question for everyone who’s been there, will 4x2 with difflock be sufficient? Doesn’t look too rugged.
    The park rules required 4x4 only last I was there (2016), possibly more from a conservation point than that of road condition.

The road down to De Hoop was also completely re routed from what it was in 2012, I think specifically to accomdate trailers. Much less interesting and challenging, but I guess the results of their public survey indicated this was desired. The new road and development at De Hoop itself has changed the feel of the camp completely in my opinion.

Edit: completely re routed is an over statement but reflects how I feel about it. The interesting bits were re routed.
    Last edited by Grise; 2021/09/14 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Qualifier
    Janine
    2009 Jimny
    Transfer case and Radial cup protection
    VPU - rear wheel arches
    Packing System & Roofrack
    Geolander AT's,
    Airbags & EFS shocks

2010 Ford Bantam XLT 1.6 - Sold
    1981 Ford Cortina - but it went forever! Until stolen

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Grise For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wad View Post
    I am going to Richtersveld in October for the first time , the question is do I take my Jurgens Explorer or only my rooftop. We will be going to Sendlingsdrif, De Hoop and Kokerboomkloof.
    Been to Richtersveld a few times. If you stick to main roads a 4x4 caravan makes for easy camping. No risk in my view to tow.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tourer For This Useful Post:

I would not sweat it, was there in Jul and none of the roads in the park is remotely challenging. I had to laugh when two campers were talking how challenging and technical it was when the cleaning crew arived in a old hardbody 2x4 long wheel base with those real bakkie tires...yes that lang slap een.

What is a killer iscthe road to the park...seen many local bakkies with torn body work due to vibration.
    Pajero Sport 3.2 DiD 2012
    D1 V8 1999 model (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by wad View Post
    We took that same roads with two Echo Off Road caravans, no problem just go slow!

Not certain if you have watched the attached, worth looking at before you travel. I'm pretty much a novice on offroad driving but as mentioned earlier I managed it pulling my Bushlapa Baobab.

Akkedis Pass (Richtersveld) Part 1 - Mountain Passes of South Africa - YouTube

Akkedis Pass (Richtersveld) Part 2 - Mountain Passes of South Africa - YouTube

Hope you enjoy your trip.
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Ratel" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Just returned from Richtersveld, but due to old friends, stayed in Chalets, most enjoyable. Used my Imagine a few years ago with no hazels. Helskloof is a challenges , but take it slow , I think it is one way traffic.

I've just got back from Richtersveld today. I was in a ground tent but saw quite a few caravans/trailers in the park. I'm sure most of these exit the park via Akkedis pass which I wouldn't think is too much of a challenge to a sensible driver with a low range vehicle.
    I left the park via Helskloof. All I can say is I would not like to tow something heavy down Helskloof(Domorogh section). I wouldn't say it's one of those descents that requires great skill BUT, if you're towing and you make a mistake, the consequences are too gruesome to contemplate.
    BTW, the road from the park gate to Eksteenfontein is absolutely f****d. I have travelled the corrugations of KTP and Tankwa but nothing compared to this road. Took me two and a half hours to do the 80 odd kms to Eksteenfontein ( and destroyed a shock). I strongly recommend approaching and departing via Alex/Port Nolloth.
    Last edited by shfish; 2021/09/20 at 09:53 PM. Reason: More specific pass detail.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shfish For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shfish View Post
    I've just got back from Richtersveld today. I was in a ground tent but saw quite a few caravans/trailers in the park. I'm sure most of these exit the park via Akkedis pass which I wouldn't think is too much of a challenge to a sensible driver with a low range vehicle.
    I left the park via Helskloof. All I can say is I would not like to tow something heavy down Helskloof(Domorogh section). I wouldn't say it's one of those descents that requires great skill BUT, if you're towing and you make a mistake, the consequences are too gruesome to contemplate.
    BTW, the road from the park gate to Eksteenfontein is absolutely f****d. I have travelled the corrugations of KTP and Tankwa but nothing compared to this road. Took me two and a half hours to do the 80 odd kms to Eksteenfontein ( and destroyed a shock). I strongly recommend approaching and departing via Alex/Port Nolloth.
    That Eksteenfontein road is an absolute shocker! It's one of those "please god let this end" type road
    I mentioned it in another post, but it is the worst long stretch of dirt road that I have ever driven on.
    Agree with the Alex/Port Nolloth option.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frog For This Useful Post:

I strongly recommend approaching and departing via Alex/Port Nolloth.[/QUOTE]

I promise you, that road is nothing better, maybe a bit shorter. I travelled that road three months ago towing the Xplorer. With two tins of food stacked on top of each other the top one would knock right through the top of the bottom one and a surviving tin of sardines was totally mushy inside. The roads inside the park, although slow going, are actually not that bad.
    Danie Gerryts

2013 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T
    2016 Ford Ranger 3.2TDCi 4x4 A/T Supercab
    Gypsey 5
    Jurgens Xplorer

Quote Originally Posted by DanieG View Post
    I strongly recommend approaching and departing via Alex/Port Nolloth.
    I promise you, that road is nothing better, maybe a bit shorter. I travelled that road three months ago towing the Xplorer. With two tins of food stacked on top of each other the top one would knock right through the top of the bottom one and a surviving tin of sardines was totally mushy inside. The roads inside the park, although slow going, are actually not that bad.[/QUOTE]

We did Richtersveld including Helskloof Pass to exit in July with two vehicles towing Imagine Comfortvans, had no problems, do not consider it that challenging and would do it again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast