Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Re: The irony that is Aus

Reading the article again, I think the Australians requiring permission to leave is restricted to those people who want to emigrate, not those who want to travel

Even here the ANC now want to impose an emigration tax for those who want to leave.

Which do you prefer?
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Jhb area for now, maybe will look at moving WC way, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires.
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    At least you can leave and nobodies stopping you.
    Not so sure this is correct.My son got permission to come to RSA within 2h over a weekend because of medical emergency here.He did not come because getting here is easy,but getting out(back)July 2021,was impossible.Nobody wants to take passengers from RSA!!He could not attend his mothers funeralHe has a PR visa and travels on RSA passport(Green Mamba)!!
    Last edited by DiscoFrans; 2021/09/13 at 03:58 PM.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Reading the article again, I think the Australians requiring permission to leave is restricted to those people who want to emigrate, not those who want to travel

Even here the ANC now want to impose an emigration tax for those who want to leave.

Which do you prefer?
    To choose between nanny state or banana republic?......very easy choice for me
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiscoFrans For This Useful Post:

This is a conservative view... but gets the message across.

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Imagine going to court and being told your matter cannot proceed because the DOJ has been hacked & the manual recording equipment is broken with no money to fix it.

Imagine being unable to renew your driver's license because the system has collapsed.

Imagine being told to reduce your power usage to avoid load shedding whilst your neighbour in Soweto hasn't paid an account in 20 years.

Imagine having a water leak gushing down your street for 3 months because there is no money in the budget to replace the valve.

Just some of the things Aussies probably say about South Africa
    This is also a very forgiving synopsis of the state of affairs in Australia. You check in and out from home on an App.... all movements are monitored.

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    Lockdown and travel restricted to 5km from your house for 8 cases, seems a tad excessive
    We all have our preferences and current situations. Both situations are patently wrong in my view, but there are content folk on both sides.

Stacking up the pros and cons, it is not going to be an easy choice...

An FYI of the situation in Melbourne as restrictions are being "eased" -https://www.theguardian.com/australi...u-need-to-know
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Which do you prefer?

I think this is correct yes, for now they obviously have travel restrictions and even more red tape as well, but in general you have to ask permission to emigrate.

I remember a friend in Australia mentioned something to this effect when I once asked him why he doesn't have full citizenship yet since he has been there for years. He basically said he can get citizenship but declined it so far because once he has citizenship it will be one heck of a mission should he want to permanently return to SA again one day.
    This guy has been living there probably for the last 15 years, he only holidays in SA once or twice a year.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

I sometimes just have to keep quiet when I hear what trivial stuff some of the non-immigrants here in Kangarooville complain about…

I then think to myself, “you have no idea how bad things can be and how hard life can be”

But yes, if you grew up not having the problems that ZA have, then yes, complaining about the uncut verge grass and seaweed piling up on the beach after a storm is a big deal and it makes the news headlines too.

And Hitting a pothole on your way to work might just push you over the edge and you tell yourself…. “This country is pretty much up #### creek, better get the hell out of here”
    Dit Reent.... n Kraai Knetter.... Erens Poep n Vark.....

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jdjoubert For This Useful Post:

Very Orwellian
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Bloody Karens....
    Robert van den Berg...(fully vaccinated with two Pfizer jabs & certified)

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty' (jabbed with 50ppm)
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully' (jabbed with 50ppm)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

The mindfrackkery and lack of common sense is astounding.

Just think about that: a thin skinned politician sent out anti terrorist squad to arrest and beat up the cameraman of a young YouTuber exposing corruption : friendly Jordy (very interesting story developing)

Be it the US, UK and of course Australia, I cannot fail to see a direct link between the lunacy of a part of their population and the devilish propaganda machine of the Rupert Murdoch media empire, copying the playbook of Lucifer

https://youtu.be/tR_6dibpDfo

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bikou For This Useful Post:

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI

At least the streets are clean and the retail stores still standing, I think…
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2021/09/19 at 06:52 AM.
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data..

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Marcochezzi For This Useful Post:

Reread and realised I was off topic.
    Deleted.
    Last edited by JohnnoK; 2021/09/19 at 09:55 AM.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

'People who believe the vaccination will alter their DNA should probably consider it an opportunity"

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE -- Sold
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI

Coolangatta's berlin wall. Insanity

https://www.mamamia.com.au/fathers-day-border/

21. The Following User Says Thank You to AfriqueDS For This Useful Post:

No Covid cases in Queensland. She must be doing something right. I live on 30 acres near a small country in Qld. No masks,free travel. Only mandate is to use a app thing on a mobile phone to check in to shops. I dont have one so there is an attendance book to sign.

Yes, that is correct Aussie residents and citizens are not allowed to leave Australia without permission. Authority is granted in very few cases eg for medical services not offered in Australia, for severe compassionate reasons, for business reasons that benefit the Australian economy. Leisure travel is not granted, so in our case we are not permitted to continue with our southern and east African safari. The reason for this is very simple, at present there are +/-40,000 Australians stuck outside of Australia attempting to return but isolation facilities in Australia are limited and there are only a fixed number of returnees allowed each week. If leisure travel were allowed the people leaving would not be able to return and enter the isolation facilities. So, if we returned to our safari and either of us fell ill, with severe Covid or some other ailment we would be in serious trouble.

As this directly affects us we are frustrated but unsurprisingly these restrictions are supported by the vast majority of Australians, even though it affects us we understand and support the restrictions. There is a government initiative to relax these restrictions once double vaccinated people reach a thresh-hold of about 80% of the required population. Because Covid has been so low in Australia people have not stepped forward to get the jab but the measures imposed, eg travel bans and lockdowns have resulted in the population waking up and vaccinations have ramped up. It is anticipated that by mid-December the magic figure may be reached and at that point in time travel to some parts of the world, eg UK and USA will be allowed, only for double vaccinated individuals. Speculation is that travel to countries in Africa will be allowed from May or June 2022.

Police state, some say it is, I don't think so? Aussie population - 25,9 million; Aussie Covid infections - 93,942; Aussie Covid deaths - 1,208; South African population - 60,2 million; South African Covid infections - 2,894,342; South African Covid deaths - 86,967 (according to forum members SA numbers should probably should be multiplied by 3). People can criticize all they like, where would you rather be based at this point in time?
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Ratel" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    This is a conservative view... but gets the message across.

This is also a very forgiving synopsis of the state of affairs in Australia. You check in and out from home on an App.... all movements are monitored.

We all have our preferences and current situations. Both situations are patently wrong in my view, but there are content folk on both sides.

Stacking up the pros and cons, it is not going to be an easy choice...

An FYI of the situation in Melbourne as restrictions are being "eased" -https://www.theguardian.com/australi...u-need-to-know
    So there is an app and you are required to register at every place you enter. If you are someone who believes in conspiracy theories than this will bug you. I believe it gives the tracers the ability to contain outbreaks very efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    Lockdown and travel restricted to 5km from your house for 8 cases, seems a tad excessive
    Maybe, I used to think the same. Experience has shown though that “go hard go early” is definitely the way to go until you get the population vaccinated. A month or two back we had a few cases emerge in a massive high school. We immediately went into the toughest lockdown yet. Two weeks later the outbreak had been contained and we could go back to life as usual.

Which do you prefer?
    No I’m pretty confident you will get a border exemption if you want to emigrate. Going away on holiday, not so much.

Right now I’m sitting next to my tent in a caravan park at the beach. No masks, no restrictions. The place is packed. Locking Ozzies out of overseas travel has been a boon for certain segments of the local market. Try buying a new caravan.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

They still I better position than us but there’s problems coming. Two year ago we tech stop in Adelaide on the way back from NZ. We stayed in nice hotel near the beach .When we went for dinner in the street it looks like you in Pakistan ,India or some Arabic country due to majority of people. While we was in the one shop a alarm went off and they closed the doors. A robbery had taken place so after they caught the thief the doors was open again only differences from us there was no shots fired.
    A family member who is well qualified was recently ask to go , had to make way for a young Indian women.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Police state, some say it is, I don't think so? Aussie population - 25,9 million; Aussie Covid infections - 93,942; Aussie Covid deaths - 1,208; South African population - 60,2 million; South African Covid infections - 2,894,342; South African Covid deaths - 86,967 (according to forum members SA numbers should probably should be multiplied by 3). People can criticize all they like, where would you rather be based at this point in time?
    OK, so you don't think it's a Police State, but how do you account for the outright excesses of some police officers?
    Throwing a 70+ year old woman to the ground and 2 guys hosing her down with tear gas?
    The young lady grabbed by the throat?
    A person thrown to the ground and beaten while on the ground?

All of these with seemingly zero comment from up the ranks, which emboldens the rest of the beaters to chuck in their little bit to help the process along.

I predict that there is going to be an event in the future where the crowd will turn on the police and there will be blood in the streets.
    There is a long history of the public and Aus Police being antagonistic towards each other, but there are lots more people than beaters....
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

'People who believe the vaccination will alter their DNA should probably consider it an opportunity"

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE -- Sold
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

29. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast