Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Filling station put paraffin in my car. What do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboef View Post
    I have a major headache and need advice.

Last week my wife's Pajero Sport started giving error codes (check engine light).
    In the mornings it would struggle to start, idle erratic, and refuse to rev above 1600revs.
    Later in the day it would start and drive perfect.
    I was under the impression its the EGR valve, as a month or so earlier it gave an EGR error and I was planning on replacing the EGR valve.

But the #### got worse towards end of last week, and in the end the car would not rev above 1600rpm no matter what.
    I towed it to the dealers, as the engine is BRAND NEW and still under warrantee. The engine was replaced under recall 5000km ago.
    I told them to order the new EGR valve, but I also said I have a strong suspicion something else is wrong.

The same day the dealers phoned me to say the diesel in the tank smells funny.
    I asked them to drain a bit into a clean container and then I drove there immediately.
    The stuff in the container, drained from the fuel line, is paraffin. Definitely not diesel. The dealer mechanic agrees its parrafin.

Now, I filled up at a filling station near my house (Stellenberg/Eversdal) 200km ago. on 23/08.
    I put in 52 liters into the +-70liter tank to fill it.

The #### started right after that. The car still drove normal for a few days except for the amber engine light that went on-and-off sporadically, and which I assumed was the EGR valve giving ####.

So now I have a car with a brand new engine, standing at the dealers, refusing to run, and I have to confront the filling station because according to me they me by filling my car with parrafin.

I have the "diesel" slip of the fill-up. It says Diesel 50ppm. But its NOT diesel.

What do I do?
    If it is the ENGEN on Mountainview...I had a problem with them filling my Isuzu with water contaminated diesel, a few years ago. I just received my brand new vehicle, and drove it to that filling station for its first tank of diesel. They refused to accept liability and said I am welcome to institute legal proceedings. I was not financially prepared to take big business to court. Luckily it did not affect the engine's performance over the long run. Drove it without a problem to 100000 kms before I sold it.

seems like it was nothing to do with fuel

apparently a bad sensor or bad installation of sensor or damage to sensor by poor installation when the engine got changed out previously

my point does remain, that logic and data prevails in this case and not emotion

I have been filling my Ranger at the same Engen garage in Mountain view road you mentioned for over 3 years without any issues because they are selling their diesel (50ppm) at a discount. Recently a Puma filling station opened in Goedemoed selling diesel, also 50ppm at an even cheaper price. Now this got me thinking, would a reputable filling station brand like Engen or franchise owner take this massive risk to try and defraud the customer? Surely there are checks-and-balances and any discrepancies will be highlighted in the accounting software.(The difference between amount of diesel bought and sold, and what is left in the tanks).
    Should I trust Puma (haven't heard of them since 4 months ago) or do I pay the extra 10 to 20 cents at Engen? I have also filled up a few times at AfriMark Durbanville. What about them?

Puma is a huge oil company origination in south america and are making quite an impact locally.A friennd of mine owns one.They have much much beter royalty offering for their franchisees meaning the guys can offer beter prices on diesel.
    A branded Site is always the beter option as they are getting the correct product with correct specs..If a station owner in a franchise setup is mixing parafin etc he should be caught out easily nowadays.

That said i am a branded site that received water in my diesel straight from the depo that supplies most other brands too..You only know once the product is in the tank and settled.I had damaged cars but luckily picked it up very quick before it became a massive issue..Now i break the seals on the trucks and dip the tanker before he dispenses..And the depos just shrug their shoulders about how water gets in..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Puma is a huge oil company origination in south america and are making quite an impact locally.A friennd of mine owns one.They have much much beter royalty offering for their franchisees meaning the guys can offer beter prices on diesel.
    A branded Site is always the beter option as they are getting the correct product with correct specs..If a station owner in a franchise setup is mixing parafin etc he should be caught out easily nowadays.

That said i am a branded site that received water in my diesel straight from the depo that supplies most other brands too..You only know once the product is in the tank and settled.I had damaged cars but luckily picked it up very quick before it became a massive issue..Now i break the seals on the trucks and dip the tanker before he dispenses..And the depos just shrug their shoulders about how water gets in..
    Must say the service from the Puma filling station at Goedemoed is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Is 10ppm available in CT?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Sasol at least should have it yes.
    Poggie thinks Sasol does a fuel swop with another oil company in CT: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...91#post4730991

All I know is that I have never seen 10 ppm in CT at any filling station, including Sasol.
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow, GC = 254mm, WD = 820mm

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Butch Dassie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Sorry but I seriously disagree with you Johan. There are serious mechanical issues here.

I was involved with an extensive amount of work on this specific matter when I was still corporate. MBSA Truck Div suffered massive losses as a result of this problem. I have discussed this here on the forum before and warned that as diesel price increases we will see more and more of this problem.

Fortunately in the OP's case the problem was identified quickly. People are becoming wise to this now!

Johan is right in this instance. the vehicle hasn't driven at high speed for a long distance. Paraffin burns at a higher temp than diesel. In northern cape I used to fill up at a specific station and immediately thereafter found that the exhaust gas temperature would increase significantly, the fuel at this station contained paraffin which caused the problem.

Flush out the fuel system and refill with fresh diesel and you should be ok
    1996 Landrover 300Tdi--480000km with redesigned radiator
    2011 Landcruiser 76 Stationwagon--150000km
    ZS6YM
    ZS1YM

Quote Originally Posted by 3bar View Post
    seems like it was nothing to do with fuel

apparently a bad sensor or bad installation of sensor or damage to sensor by poor installation when the engine got changed out previously

my point does remain, that logic and data prevails in this case and not emotion
    From reading the fred the facts seem to be:
    1. Car with a new engine starts running like a dilapidated tractor after filling up.
    2. Over a period of about a week it gets worse and owner takes it to Dealership.
    3. Dealer that "takes a fuel sample" and says it is contaminated with paraffin.
    4. Shortly thereafter dealer contacts owner and informs him that the problem is a "loose wire".
    5. The next day car is fixed - apparently a loose wire on the crank sensor.

As to the above, I have one question:

If a dealer takes a fuel sample from a vehicle, finds that the fuel is so badly contaminated that their immediate conclusion is that that is the cause of the vehicle's problems and thereafter finds that the real problem is a loose wire - why has the "originally diagnosed problem" suddenly become so insignificant that it is not even mentioned again??
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post
    ..As to the above, I have one question:

If a dealer takes a fuel sample from a vehicle, finds that the fuel is so badly contaminated that their immediate conclusion is that that is the cause of the vehicle's problems and thereafter finds that the real problem is a loose wire - why has the "originally diagnosed problem" suddenly become so insignificant that it is not even mentioned again??
    Because the dealer was not telling the truth, to try and avoid any liability.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

I was contemplating adding some Coke and ice to the sample glasses and having a sip.

If I can distinguish between Klippies, KWV 3, 5 and 10 year I can surely do the same with diesel.

This is not aimed at Kaboef or anyone on this tread, but purely for information purposes.

Diesel from the refinery, or from legal import comes as a clear diesel to which each company adds a marker. Don't be fooled by the colour of the diesel, or sometimes the smell. Different additives that the various name brand garages put into their diesel will alter smells and colours.

It is 100% illegal tohave any trace of IP (paraffin) in diesel for retail, be it from your local garage or a truck stop. I have interests in a bulk diesel depot, and we have to test each load that comes in before it is offloaded into our bulk tanks, if a load fails our test it is sent back and and replaced. We take a sample of each load and send it in to a lab for a second test. On each delivery we test the load in the truck tanker before it leaves our depot, and a lot of our clients will take a sample before we unload at their site and test again.

If ANY IP is found in ANY diesel, SARS will be there like a teenager to a Hustler magazine, as it means that SARS is not getting their money, and we know how much SARS loves money. IP is significantly cheaper than diesel so imagine in a 40 000L load if you replace 5000L of diesel with IP with lets say a R5.00 saving per litre..... you do the maths, crime is tempting.

I'm just going to put this out there...... Many Truck stops will probably have cleaner diesel than some independent garages, as the risks and costs of mechanical breakdown on a truck can kill a truck stop almost instantly, as the trucking community are quite a close nit "family"

If you can buy diesel cheap, then there is a good chance that it is either stolen diesel, or blended with something to make it cheap, cause the owner isn't going to sell his/her diesel without making a profit, and at some of the ridiculous prices I have seen it is impossible to make a profit, unless they are selling 10 or more million litres a month.
    Last edited by ricster; 2021/09/20 at 10:04 AM.

Cheers

Cedric
    Nissan Patrol 4.2 TD - "Iron Maiden"

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ricster For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    Because the dealer was not telling the truth, to try and avoid any liability.
    There is a hidden benefit of this and that is with the dealers categorically saying it was not contaminated fuel and just a loose wire that means the engine warranty will stay in place. It's pobably best for the op to just leave it as is and any potential issues he may have in future the dealer can sort them out under warranty. That's assuming the warranty still has a way to go.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2021/09/20 at 03:08 PM.

Eishh .. not an easy one. Same happened to me with my Hilux D4D. Eventually refurbed the rail,all the valves, injectors, drained the tank and entire system. Sent the fuel to Island View for testing - came back and said it was within Spec ! It smelt like paraffin - even another garage owner concurred with me that it was not diesel as well as the mechanics / Toyota personnel. Taking on the big boys you'll never win. they will keep you in court for years.
    Will never go back to the garage that sold me the stuff.

Get it fixed and move on.

Cheers

Last week my wife's Pajero Sport started giving error codes (check engine light).
    In the mornings it would struggle to start, idle erratic, and refuse to rev above 1600revs.
    I was under the impression its the EGR valve, as a month or so earlier it gave an EGR error and I was planning on replacing the EGR valve.

But the #### got worse towards end of last week, and in the end the car would not rev above 1600rpm no matter what.
    I towed it to the dealers, as the engine is BRAND NEW and still under warrantee. The engine was replaced under recall 5000km ago.
    I told them to order the new EGR valve, but I also said I have a strong suspicion something else is wrong.

I asked them to drain a bit into a clean container and then I drove there immediately.
    The stuff in the container, drained from the fuel line, is paraffin. Definitely not diesel. The dealer mechanic agrees its parrafin.

Now, I filled up at a filling station near my house (Stellenberg/Eversdal) 200km ago. on 23/08.

The #### started right after that. The car still drove normal for a few days except for the amber engine light that went on-and-off sporadically, and which I assumed was the EGR valve giving ####.

So now I have a car with a brand new engine, standing at the dealers, refusing to run, and I have to confront the filling station because according to me they me by filling my car with parrafin.

I have the "diesel" slip of the fill-up. It says Diesel 50ppm. But its NOT diesel.

What do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    There is a hidden benefit of this and that is with the dealers categorically saying it was not contaminated fuel and just a loose wire that means the engine warranty will stay in place, probably best for the op to just leave it as is and any potential issues he may have the dealer sort them out. That's assuming the warranty still has a way to go.
    My thoughts exactly. That is why I am letting the matter die down.

Engine has 10 months of warranty left. If the fuel was indeed suspect, any problems should manifest in this time and then I will have recourse.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaboef For This Useful Post:

What do I do?
    Exactly the same happened to me a month ago, Landy TD5. It wasn't paraffin but petrol they put in the tank instead of diesel. Exactly the same symptoms. The repair bill plus tow in plus diesel refill came to R13000. NO DAMAGE to the engine. I made an appointment to discuss the matter with the owner/manager of the filling station. Before I arrived back home the total amount had been transferred to my banking account with an apology sent to me afterwards. There are still people with integrity around!!

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fanie de Jager For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fanie de Jager View Post
    Exactly the same happened to me a month ago, Landy TD5. It wasn't paraffin but petrol they put in the tank instead of diesel. Exactly the same symptoms. The repair bill plus tow in plus diesel refill came to R13000. NO DAMAGE to the engine. I made an appointment to discuss the matter with the owner/manager of the filling station. Before I arrived back home the total amount had been transferred to my banking account with an apology sent to me afterwards. There are still people with integrity around!!
    That is amazing, what evidence did you have to provide to substantiate your claim?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    That is amazing, what evidence did you have to provide to substantiate your claim?
    If you ever buy diesel out of containers along the road in Kaokoland, you also get a certain amount of paraffin in your diesel. I never heard of anyone losing an engine afterwards. So, fill up with diesel and go.

I was doing electrical work for diesel depots and the "cheap diesel" dealers. There is a reason they can sell diesel so cheap. Usually they buy from some dodgy seller somewhere in Africa who mix the bowser with paraffin. Or the driver stops at his connection, drain some diesel into a tank and refill with paraffin. With local refineries this is not possible as they track their bowsers and test the diesel before filling the bowser and the garage also test before accepting the diesel. I was offered tanks of diesel as payment but told them i am not putting that ### in my bakkie! Only fill up at trusted brand garages. Farmers and transport companies are prime candidates for this scam but they are also testing the diesel now before accepting and paying. If you see an unmarked bowser at a garage don't go there "hou verby"!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to wcesnr For This Useful Post:

Report the filling station to the brand they represent along with all our evidence.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to riyadh For This Useful Post:

Are you insured? A few years ago something similar happened to me when my vehicle was filled with dirty petrol while the petrol tanker lorry was filling the tanks of the garage. My insurance sorted everything out without it costing me a cent. They dealt with the garage.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DjySie For This Useful Post:

Here in Bloemfontein there is a supplier of "very cheap" unbranded diesel. The Pajero do not seem to be bothered by this diesel, but the Isuzu seem to be lazy and underperforming with this diesel and it sounds "different". So I am staying away.

The second cheapest diesel is also unbranded. They say that they get their diesel from Sasol. I've been using them for years. No problem and never had any issues. I never had any suspicion that there is parrifin in the diesel.

Bostoe

30. The Following User Says Thank You to bostoe For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast