Default Accommodation between Mana and Livingstone

Hi All - looking for some advice on accommodation options between Lower Zambezi and Livingstone. Thanks. Martin

Default Re: Accommodation between Mana and Livingstone

Hi Martin, if you're a birder, and want a break from camping, have a look at Masuku Lodge outside Choma. I haven't been there but have heard rave reviews. Owner Rory McDougall is something of a birding legend and Zambia's only endemic, Chaplin's Barbet, is found in their conservancy. Chalet accommodation only and probably a bit pricey (they don't seem to have their own website).
    Otherwise you can do Lower Zambezi to Livingstone in a longish day.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Moorings campsite near Monze.

http://mooringscampsite.com/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Hi Martin ...

Yes - agree with Tony - a long way to Lvi and quite a lot to see / do if you take it a little slower.

If you have time on your hands, take a right at Chirundu and go up towards Lower Zambezi (Opposite Mana on Zambia side), Kiambi is very comfortable, and Mvuu is amazing (a little further away in the GMA, but wilder and really worth a visit)

We did Mvuu all the way to Guinea Fowl Cottage outside Colomo (just under 2 hours from Lvi) a really nice FARM STAY, they have a lovely cottage or you can camp on their Dam - great for birds

When driving from Chirundu, consider AVOIDING the T2 / T1 main road via Turnpike & Mazabuka (Plenty of trucks up & down the escarpment) -

• 17km out of Chirundu take a left (M15),
    • after 7.5km take a right (D501 / D500), it's a relatively new road (tarred), all the way to Munyumbwe (extremely scenic and we saw just one truck along the way, plenty of goats and Baobabs!).
    • At Munyumbwe to take a right up the escarpment to Chisekesi (D397) .... 40km of true rural 4x4 bicycle track .... But it's worth the diversion!

hope the attachment makes sense
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickeld For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nickeld View Post
    Hi Martin ...

Yes - agree with Tony - a long way to Lvi and quite a lot to see / do if you take it a little slower.

If you have time on your hands, take a right at Chirundu and go up towards Lower Zambezi (Opposite Mana on Zambia side), Kiambi is very comfortable, and Mvuu is amazing (a little further away in the GMA, but wilder and really worth a visit)

We did Mvuu all the way to Guinea Fowl Cottage outside Colomo (just under 2 hours from Lvi) a really nice FARM STAY, they have a lovely cottage or you can camp on their Dam - great for birds

When driving from Chirundu, consider AVOIDING the T2 / T1 main road via Turnpike & Mazabuka (Plenty of trucks up & down the escarpment) -

• after 7.5km take a right (D501 / D500), it's a relatively new road (tarred), all the way to Munyumbwe (extremely scenic and we saw just one truck along the way, plenty of goats and Baobabs!).
    • At Munyumbwe to take a right up the escarpment to Chisekesi (D397) .... 40km of true rural 4x4 bicycle track .... But it's worth the diversion!

Another good spot to camp/lodge is at Eagles Rest, Siavonga on the banks of Lake Kariba. Follow the above route from Chirundu onto the M15 but don’t turn right on the D500/1 keep straight to Siavonga and ER. Google them. Lovely beach and rustig. Pub and restaurant also available.

Then travel back to the D500 turn off and follow the above directions to Livingstone.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nickeld View Post
    Hi Martin ...

I did this route late last year except coming from Livingstone to Siavonga. Very nice drive.

If I was coming from Mana I would actually go via the Kariba/Siavonga border, a very quiet little scenic border that enables you to drive across kariba dam. You could spend the night in Siavonga then take the scenic route to Chisikesi stay near choma then onto Livingstone (or do siavonga - livingstone in one fairly long day). There is even a back road from Siavonga onto the D500 I saw it sign posted come down the road but chickened out as it was the middle of rainy season.
    2002 HZJ105R Land Cruiser - being built as an overlander

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ozranger For This Useful Post:

One thing that frustrates me about this forum is one looks in the "Rearview Mirror" just to find out all the potentially nice places we missed out on!!

We actually contemplated going down to Kariba, Siavonga, wish we had!

Ah well - all the more reason to go back!! ... fortunately the vehicle is parked in Livingstone and planning to go back to Zambia in November - BAT SEASON!!

Quote Originally Posted by ozranger View Post
    I did this route late last year except coming from Livingstone to Siavonga. Very nice drive.

If I was coming from Mana I would actually go via the Kariba/Siavonga border, a very quiet little scenic border that enables you to drive across kariba dam. You could spend the night in Siavonga then take the scenic route to Chisikesi stay near choma then onto Livingstone (or do siavonga - livingstone in one fairly long day). There is even a back road from Siavonga onto the D500 I saw it sign posted come down the road but chickened out as it was the middle of rainy season.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickeld For This Useful Post:

Thanks to everyone for the great options. Really appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by ozranger View Post

Thanks very much for the info. Am sceptical about GPS estimates. How long do you think it will take from Siavonga to Livingstone. We’re a little pressed for time at that point in the journey.

It's about the same travel time either way you decide, 7-8 hrs, However the road coming out at Chisikesi is more scenic, fewer other road users and less mileage

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tripodontour For This Useful Post: