Default Will SA follow UK and allow B licences to tow 3500kgs?

The UK will stop certifying B licence holders to have an additional towing test that allows them to tow up to 3500kgs during September 2021. They will formalise the new rule during next year (the date has not yet been set).

South Africa adopted the EU regs during the 90's. Hopefully this means that our authorities will follow suite. I doubt this will happen on it's own, but we have a trailer committee that advises government that should take up this process.

Time to get the ball rolling!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heinz Modricky For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Will SA follow UK and allow B licences to tow 3500kgs?

What? And drop the means for another moneymaker?? I doubt it Heinz.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LouisXander For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LouisXander View Post
    What? And drop the means for another moneymaker?? I doubt it Heinz.
    How many B licences are being upgraded in order tow higher than 750kgs, relative to the economic stimulus in simply allowing this? I don't see the difference in towing and reversing a 750kg trailer and a 2000kg trailer - the reason being that the tow vehicle matches the additional load. I'd rather be towing a braked 2000kg trailer with a 2000kg tow vehicle, than a braked 750kg trailer behind 1100kg tow vehicle.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heinz Modricky For This Useful Post:

My son has just done his drivers for full trailer towing. Other being required to reverse with a trailer on, they taught him absolutely nothing about driving with a trailer. So as the license currently stands I donít see an EB being any more qualified than a B or whatever they dish out normally these days.

I am now teaching my son to drive properly with a heavy trailer, but he is lucky that I have a lot of experience with big trailers and can teach him to drive properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    How many B licences are being upgraded in order tow higher than 750kgs, relative to the economic stimulus in simply allowing this? I don't see the difference in towing and reversing a 750kg trailer and a 2000kg trailer - the reason being that the tow vehicle matches the additional load. I'd rather be towing a braked 2000kg trailer with a 2000kg tow vehicle, than a braked 750kg trailer behind 1100kg tow vehicle.
    Heinz I think you are applying logic to the problem whereas our government is the sort that believes banning the sale of pre-cooked food will mitigate the spread of Covid.

I think most sane people would agree that the B / EB distinction serves no practical purpose but I doubt we will see a change

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Just go do a new license - and stop sitting around waiting for better days to come. This system has been in process for at last 22 years now!! Really guys - this process is not as horrible as you think it might be, I found it to be quite the opposite to say the least.

Its like the B license holders are living in this dreamworld of someday, somehow there will be change.......

This B, EB, EC1, EC debate seems like it will never stop - just go do the right license to suit your needs and lets focus on bettering the Springbok backline
    Last edited by Stormchaser; 2021/09/14 at 09:43 PM.