Default Land Cruiser 79 V8 Diesel - Boost issues

Morning Guys

Vehicle: 2016 Land Cruiser 79 v8 Diesel (about 180k on the clock), it is chipped for fuel consumption and very rarely use the extra power unless overtaking.

We were recently on a trip and started to have some funny things happen with the boost.

My understanding of the boost system: Variable vayne turbo with essentially two settings that is activated by vacum hoses. I say that because I feel a "kick" at 1500 RPM and then a second one at 2000 rpm. The issue came in when I sometimes did not have power up to 2000 RPM. I have a 4x4 mon system where I can monitor the boost. Boost would sit at 0.3 bar until it hit the 2000 mark then it will come in. What I used to see was boost going up to about 0.7 bar at that range. If i brought the car up to 1500 slowly, then tried to go slightly faster, i could feel the turbo hesitate and see the boost go up by a bar then back down. Its as if there was a loose connection making contact for a brief second then coming loose. If I put heavy foot from low down on rpm it worked better.

When above 2000 rpm, car is normal. I assume the natural position of the vaynes is for 2000 rpm +, the vaynes are activated for the lower RPM and my vehicle is having issue with activating.

My thoughts at this point:
    1. Vacuum hose issues. I have looked at the two vacum hoses by the boost controller, they seem fine, also the vacum hose to the turbo vayne activater all seem fine.
    2. Boost controller faulty. (I think these are known to give issues.)
    3. Turbo issues (really hope this isnt the issue)
    4. I assume there is a vacuum pump. don't know how to test that. but I assume brakes would have been affected if the vaccum pump is issue.

To start the trouble shooting process. I want to:
    1. Put syringe on vacuum hoses to turbo after the boost controller and see if I can activate the vaynes to ensure they are not sticky. (I dont have a catch can installed yet and I assume it is possible for oil to build up by the vaynes and cause them to struggle moving)
    2. Somehow test the boost controller, don't know how to do this without buying a new sensor?

Any other suggestions of quick checks I can do before I start spending money?

Thanks
    2016 Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    2001 Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD - sold

Default Re: Land Cruiser 79 V8 Diesel - Boost issues

Quote Originally Posted by JamGrey View Post
    Morning Guys

Vehicle: 2016 Land Cruiser 79 v8 Diesel (about 180k on the clock), it is chipped for fuel consumption and very rarely use the extra power unless overtaking.

We were recently on a trip and started to have some funny things happen with the boost.

My understanding of the boost system: Variable vayne turbo with essentially two settings that is activated by vacum hoses. I say that because I feel a "kick" at 1500 RPM and then a second one at 2000 rpm. The issue came in when I sometimes did not have power up to 2000 RPM. I have a 4x4 mon system where I can monitor the boost. Boost would sit at 0.3 bar until it hit the 2000 mark then it will come in. What I used to see was boost going up to about 0.7 bar at that range. If i brought the car up to 1500 slowly, then tried to go slightly faster, i could feel the turbo hesitate and see the boost go up by a bar then back down. Its as if there was a loose connection making contact for a brief second then coming loose. If I put heavy foot from low down on rpm it worked better.

When above 2000 rpm, car is normal. I assume the natural position of the vaynes is for 2000 rpm +, the vaynes are activated for the lower RPM and my vehicle is having issue with activating.

My thoughts at this point:
    1. Vacuum hose issues. I have looked at the two vacum hoses by the boost controller, they seem fine, also the vacum hose to the turbo vayne activater all seem fine.
    2. Boost controller faulty. (I think these are known to give issues.)
    3. Turbo issues (really hope this isnt the issue)
    4. I assume there is a vacuum pump. don't know how to test that. but I assume brakes would have been affected if the vaccum pump is issue.

To start the trouble shooting process. I want to:
    1. Put syringe on vacuum hoses to turbo after the boost controller and see if I can activate the vaynes to ensure they are not sticky. (I dont have a catch can installed yet and I assume it is possible for oil to build up by the vaynes and cause them to struggle moving)
    2. Somehow test the boost controller, don't know how to do this without buying a new sensor?

Any other suggestions of quick checks I can do before I start spending money?

Thanks
    5. Vanes stuck in one position due to soot buildup.
    VW Touran 2.0tdi - For the wife.
    80 Series cruiser - To use the fuel I save on the other two.
    Hilux - Work mobile

Heimrich Swart

Brilliant products are ruined by incompetent suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by Swartjan View Post
    5. Vanes stuck in one position due to soot buildup.
    I'm with this one as well.

500ml of JASO FC or FD in a full tank
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Hi Jelo, where do u get the Jasco products?

Does it compare to Wurth or is it another thing? Just asking.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ed rouillard View Post
    Hi Jelo, where do u get the Jasco products?

Does it compare to Wurth or is it another thing? Just asking.

Thanks.
    Ed, look on the bottle. It's a RATING, not a PRODUCT.

Sasol 2-stroke: API TC, Jaso FC/ISO GD
    Castrol 2T: Only JASO FB
    Castrol Activ 2T: JASO FC
    Shell Advance VSX2: Jaso FC

etc
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

First unplug the Chip and test.
    EGR deleted or blanked?..
    Stuck EGR valve can cause some of symptoms you describe.

Also faulty boost controller or the boost sensor on the intake.

Do you have a free flow exhaust on the Cruiser.? If not the chance are high that you might have a blocked cats.

My suspicion is the chip might be the cause of your problem

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    First unplug the Chip and test.
    EGR deleted or blanked?..
    Stuck EGR valve can cause some of symptoms you describe.

Also faulty boost controller or the boost sensor on the intake.

Do you have a free flow exhaust on the Cruiser.? If not the chance are high that you might have a blocked cats.

My suspicion is the chip might be the cause of your problem
    Still havent got around to doing some tests. I drove the car on the weekend and everything seemed back to normal.

The EGR is completely blanked with some things in the chip that prevent the a check engine light. There is also a free flow. At this point I am guessing sticky vaynes or faulty boost controller.

I cant actually check the Boost sensor reading through OBDII as it is being manipulated by chip.

So plan at this point is check vaynes move freely with syringe. Then temporarily remove chip.
    2016 Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    2001 Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD - sold

Sounds like a chip issue.
    Sent from my iPhone