Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Langosta
    Age
    72
    Posts
    80
    Thanked: 1

    Default TD5 Throttle Pedal Potentiometer

    Anyone know of a tried and true testing method off testing of the truck ?<br><br><br>

    EU3
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by skipjack452; 2021/09/07 at 05:59 PM. Reason: clarification

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    New Germany
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,653
    Thanked: 1084

    Default Re: TD5 Throttle Pedal Potentiometer

    Have to try another peddle but make sure it the same as there were 2 track and 3 track what year is yours
    or will have to change it on ECU to which ever one using
    Last edited by clivemd; 2021/09/07 at 06:04 PM.
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Langosta
    Age
    72
    Posts
    80
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: TD5 Throttle Pedal Potentiometer

    That is all I could come up with also; one on the way but two weeks out!

    thank you

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,794
    Thanked: 3502

    Default Re: TD5 Throttle Pedal Potentiometer

    Quote Originally Posted by skipjack452 View Post
    Anyone know of a tried and true testing method off testing of the truck ?<br><br><br>

    EU3
    If you can get a diagram of the pins you should be able to check it out with a decent multimeter and a power supply.
    Depending on the type, it will either have 2 or 3 wire wound coils with sweepers to give redundancy.

    To test, you need to check for continuity in the windings as well as whether the sweepers pick up in their entire rotation of the coil, as they sometimes break down at commonly used points, like a specific revs or speed.
    The rotation test is fiddly as you need to turn very slowly and deliberately to prevent back and forth movements of the sweeper and at the same time monitor the readout.

    Basically, you connect the power supply to the coil and read off the sweeper for a breakdown in signal.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

    'People who believe the vaccination will alter their DNA should probably consider it an opportunity"

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE -- Sold
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    65
    Posts
    19,834
    Thanked: 9554

    Default Re: TD5 Throttle Pedal Potentiometer

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    If you can get a diagram of the pins you should be able to check it out with a decent multimeter and a power supply.
    Depending on the type, it will either have 2 or 3 wire wound coils with sweepers to give redundancy.

    To test, you need to check for continuity in the windings as well as whether the sweepers pick up in their entire rotation of the coil, as they sometimes break down at commonly used points, like a specific revs or speed.
    The rotation test is fiddly as you need to turn very slowly and deliberately to prevent back and forth movements of the sweeper and at the same time monitor the readout.

    Basically, you connect the power supply to the coil and read off the sweeper for a breakdown in signal.
    Be very very careful with a power supply. In a blink of an eye you can have an “ex” potentiometer or even power supply.

    The meter in resistance mode is perfect and is in fact the same thing.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

    If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,794
    Thanked: 3502

    Default Re: TD5 Throttle Pedal Potentiometer

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Be very very careful with a power supply. In a blink of an eye you can have an “ex” potentiometer or even power supply.

    The meter in resistance mode is perfect and is in fact the same thing.
    Thanks, Fluffy.

    We use a dual voltage supply to test potentiometers on our choppers, but those are made for the job, so won't fry the pot.

    Well worth remembering about the multimeter, thanks!
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

    'People who believe the vaccination will alter their DNA should probably consider it an opportunity"

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE -- Sold
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •