Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    37
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 18

    Default New tire dilemma

    Hi everyone. I'm in the rather urgent market for new tires. Hilux is still running OEM Grandtrek AT25s which at 54k have now become slicks on the edges.

    I am looking at two options with a more expensive third possible option.

    General Grabber At3 vs Wrangler Adventure AT are the main contenders at R2400 a tyre (extras included).

    The third option is the Maxxis Razr 811 which is now on special for R3600 a tyre all-in.

    My driving is all tar in the week and gravel and mild 4x4 with the camping trailer over weekends. A Central Kalahari trip is possibly on the cards next year.

    My gut tells me that although the Maxxis is by far the superior tyre, the type of driving and overlanding we do just doesn't justify the extra R6k on a set of 5.

    And frankly, money is a serious factor currently, but if the other two options will hold our camping endeavours back then I'd try to make a plan.

    Any advice will be much appreciated!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    34
    Posts
    93
    Thanked: 83

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Have a look at the Terrafirma Rugged Terrain as well.

    I fitted a set about 1000kms ago and I really like them. I paid R2600 each fitted and balanced

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    65
    Posts
    957
    Thanked: 240

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Go for the Wrangler Adventure AT's, good all-rounder, available everywhere (most important). I have used them (or their RT/SA precursors) for close to 30 years on my own and work fleet vehicles, always very happy.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ouarzazate For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,097
    Thanked: 180

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    In the last 10 years I have had two sets of Maxxis and 3 sets Wranglers on my Isuzu's. No issues apart from one Maxxis tire punctured by a nail. The Wranglers are good tires, I would stick with them.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WernerDV For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    30
    Posts
    91
    Thanked: 93

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by Bom Boshoff View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm in the rather urgent market for new tires. Hilux is still running OEM Grandtrek AT25s which at 54k have now become slicks on the edges.

    I am looking at two options with a more expensive third possible option.

    General Grabber At3 vs Wrangler Adventure AT are the main contenders at R2400 a tyre (extras included).

    The third option is the Maxxis Razr 811 which is now on special for R3600 a tyre all-in.

    My driving is all tar in the week and gravel and mild 4x4 with the camping trailer over weekends. A Central Kalahari trip is possibly on the cards next year.

    My gut tells me that although the Maxxis is by far the superior tyre, the type of driving and overlanding we do just doesn't justify the extra R6k on a set of 5.

    And frankly, money is a serious factor currently, but if the other two options will hold our camping endeavours back then I'd try to make a plan.

    Any advice will be much appreciated!
    I have been looking at those Maxxis Razr 811s as well, they seem to tick the boxes. Where are they on special if I might ask?
    RvdM

    2017 Mitsubishi PS 2.5DI-D 4x4 MT
    2011 Suzuki GV 2.4 M (SOLD)



  8. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    59
    Posts
    42,851
    Thanked: 20097

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Continental CrossContact, General Grabber, and Hankook Dynapro are all decent options if you can find them.

    Not sure about Bridgestone Dueller.

    Dunlop is rubbish in my opinion. I see TWT doesn't even sell them any more.

    I've had excellent service from Velocity Raptors in 245/70-16, and I've seen a bunch of guys in my area run them on their Fortuners and Hiluxes.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    37
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 18

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by rvdm1 View Post
    I have been looking at those Maxxis Razr 811s as well, they seem to tick the boxes. Where are they on special if I might ask?
    Jumbo Fitment Centre in Paarl/Wellington.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    37
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 18

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Thanks everyone. I've abandoned the idea of the Grabbers and the Maxxis and it's down to Wranglers and Dynapro RF10s - just waiting on final pricing, but reports of incredible mileage with the Hankooks on the Hilux might swing it. They also look lekker

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    65
    Posts
    957
    Thanked: 240

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    I have had both of these on my 1998 SFA Hilux, not too much difference between them. The open spaces on the tread on the Hankooks are, however, a bit wider (less rubber) giving sharp rocks the opportunity to enter, than on the Wranglers. I once took Bridgestone AT's off my Hilux after just one trip to Namibia because of exactly this problem (two punctures on the tread). More space between the rubber may be better for muddy conditions, but not for hard road surfaces with sharp rocks. I also believe the Wranglers would be easier to find in remote areas. In addition, I have never noticed any road noise on Wranglers, and they give reasonably good mileage as well.

    Just my 2c's.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ouarzazate For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    506
    Thanked: 461

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouarzazate View Post
    Go for the Wrangler Adventure AT's, good all-rounder, available everywhere (most important). I have used them (or their RT/SA precursors) for close to 30 years on my own and work fleet vehicles, always very happy.
    I have the wranglers, and honestly as much as I want to like them, after 60k kms, the tread is close to need replacing.

    Besides that, had only 2 punctures in 60k kms.

    I will change to something else in the next 20k kms.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,087
    Thanked: 9606

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    I have the wranglers, and honestly as much as I want to like them, after 60k kms, the tread is close to need replacing.

    Besides that, had only 2 punctures in 60k kms.

    I will change to something else in the next 20k kms.
    The new Adventurer is a different tyre to the AT/SA with kevlar
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    FJ - 2 Batteries, a tow bar, OME, Good Year Adventurers, and a drawer
    Ex:
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Kareedouw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    157
    Thanked: 103

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by Bom Boshoff View Post
    Thanks everyone. I've abandoned the idea of the Grabbers and the Maxxis and it's down to Wranglers and Dynapro RF10s - just waiting on final pricing, but reports of incredible mileage with the Hankooks on the Hilux might swing it. They also look lekker
    Just make sure the dynapros is the LT spec tyres. But I would go for wranglers

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    506
    Thanked: 461

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    The new Adventurer is a different tyre to the AT/SA with kevlar
    really? Thats good to know, I have the older Kevlar ones and I am really not happy with them.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,087
    Thanked: 9606

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    really? Thats good to know, I have the older Kevlar ones and I am really not happy with them.
    I had them (the AT/SA) on my NP300, and although I abused them, never had a puncture. But at 50k km on the tyres, when I sold the bakkie, they seemed almost done with.

    These new ones that I have now (The Adventurer) is definitely a tougher, better tyre and showing much slower wear
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/09/08 at 10:17 AM.
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    FJ - 2 Batteries, a tow bar, OME, Good Year Adventurers, and a drawer
    Ex:
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Vereeniging
    Age
    59
    Posts
    275
    Thanked: 275

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    The new Adventurer is a different tyre to the AT/SA with kevlar
    I have 76000km on a set of these, and they are just about done for. I did get at least 20% better mileage on Conti Worldcontact 4x4. I almost exclusively drive tarred roads with no load on a 4x2 single cab. In fact, I avoid gravel like the plague.
    Die B staan vir Beneke

  19. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,087
    Thanked: 9606

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by EtienneB View Post
    In fact, I avoid gravel like the plague.
    Jirre, I would not admit this out loud on this forum..
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    FJ - 2 Batteries, a tow bar, OME, Good Year Adventurers, and a drawer
    Ex:
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

  20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:


  21. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    506
    Thanked: 461

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by EtienneB View Post
    I have 76000km on a set of these, and they are just about done for. I did get at least 20% better mileage on Conti Worldcontact 4x4. I almost exclusively drive tarred roads with no load on a 4x2 single cab. In fact, I avoid gravel like the plague.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I had them (the AT/SA) on my NP300, and although I abused them, never had a puncture. But at 50k km on the tyres, when I sold the bakkie, they seemed almost done with.

    These new ones that I have now (The Adventurer) is definitely a tougher, better tyre and showing much slower wear
    Yeah I have done about 60k and they are pretty done. I was pretty disappointed by that. Only had two punctures which were my own fault, but just expected a bit more from them.

  22. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Vereeniging
    Age
    59
    Posts
    275
    Thanked: 275

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Jirre, I would not admit this out loud on this forum..
    Since I clean it myself, it makes for far less work.
    Die B staan vir Beneke

  23. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Kareedouw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    157
    Thanked: 103

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Ek is nou van die topic af. Maar ek sien manne kla oor lae kilos (60 000km tot 80 000km). Vir interessantheid. Het jul al die hoeveelheid kilos en prys van band uitgewerk.
    SÍ bv
    Band A kos R2000 en gee 50000km
    Band B R4000 en gee 100000km
    Band C R2100 en gee 65000km
    Ek ry 5000 na 6000km per maand. 80% grondpaaie
    Watter is beter band om te koop.
    Vir my is dit as ek 50000km kry op n stel bekostigbare bande, sonder baie probleme is ek happy.

    Net n waarneming

  24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CornelisVoigt For This Useful Post:


  25. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    59
    Posts
    42,851
    Thanked: 20097

    Default Re: New tire dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by CornelisVoigt View Post
    Ek is nou van die topic af. Maar ek sien manne kla oor lae kilos (60 000km tot 80 000km). Vir interessantheid. Het jul al die hoeveelheid kilos en prys van band uitgewerk.
    SÍ bv
    Band A kos R2000 en gee 50000km
    Band B R4000 en gee 100000km
    Band C R2100 en gee 65000km
    Ek ry 5000 na 6000km per maand. 80% grondpaaie
    Watter is beter band om te koop.
    Vir my is dit as ek 50000km kry op n stel bekostigbare bande, sonder baie probleme is ek happy.

    Net n waarneming
    Goeie punt. Kilos per mm, en dan ZAR per mm........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •