Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Most fuel efficient 4x4 capable of doing dune trips

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Schimper View Post
    Now how did fuel consumption in the dunes end in which bakkie is best in the dunes.
    It is not always the case, but it stems from the fact that a vehicle that handles dunes with ease has an easier time and end up with lower consumption, and the more extreme the dunes the more relevant it becomes.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hugmin42 View Post
    I currently own a Pajero 3.8L V6 which is perfect for Dune trips like Luderitz to Walvisbay or skeleton coast. For these trips about 10 jerry cans are needed as fuel consumption drops to 2-3km/l. And just to get to Namibia costs more than flying as I only get 5.8km/l on the highway.

For interest sake and possibly for buying a different vehicle, as per the title, what are the most fuel efficient 4x4 capable of doing the above mentioned dune trips.

As an added bonus things like maintenance costs and reliability can also be considered. And budget around R300 000. The Pajero for comparison cost only R150 000.

Or maybe just tell me that fuel consumption shouldn't be a factor at all when thinking of 'luxuries' like dune trips.
    Hmm - we have the same vehicle (well, it's a Montero not a Pajero but it's the same vehicle - 3.8L V6 LWB).
    If you're carrying 10 x 20L cans you have a total of 288L of fuel - this seems a lot more than I'd expect.

We've driven across the Simpson in ours - we covered 610 Km with 135L of fuel so an average of 22 L/100 km (4.5 km/L). In the dunes the consumption ranged from 20- 25 L/100 km (5-4 km/L). So if you're planning on a reserve of 100 km 288 L gives you 1200 km range in the dunes.

Our "normal" fuel consumption on highways ranges from 15-17 L/100 Km (6.7 to 5.9 km/L) so we have a range of 520-590 km on the highway, in terms of getting to and from your destination area.

To answer your question, when we bought the Montero we looked at a variety of vehicles and ended up with a short list of the Montero, a Land Cruiser, and a Wrangler. The short version is that the Wrangler was not as spacious or comfortable as the Montero (especially on long trips) and the Land Cruiser was twice the price of the Montero (!).

In terms of fuel consumption, the Land Cruiser gets about the same as the Montero, and the Wrangler gets a lot better consumption so will give a range of 1200 km (+100 km reserve) with around 170 L. So, if you can live with the space of a Wrangler it will give you better fuel consumption, although it's not the most comfortable vehicle for long trips.

If we were to replace the Montero we'd have a tough time... I have to say that for our next "big trip" (Canada), since shipping rates have gone through the roof, we're planning on buying a Wrangler and selling it again. There aren't many dunes on the trip we're planning, however if we were planning a Skeleton Coast trip a Wrangler would be an attractive option. We'd prefer to take our Montero, and accept the weight of the fuel we'd be carrying however, as noted, shipping rates are sky-high right now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alannymarce For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Most fuel efficient 4x4 capable of dune trips

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    Thats a little poorly.

Anyway, what about a G500? I exclude the G63 etc because they ship with stupid low profile tyres and such. Does the G500 come with proper rubber? Not exactly a budget beater, but should be pretty good by all the criteria that matter?
    May as well buy a New Defender V8....
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

First thanks to all the kind words in this thread. In person I do not see myself as a sand King. I do however enjoy sand and dune driving tremendously.
    Rustie I did not take you serious on your post. I do two to three dune trips a year on average. Were much more in the past.
    Have done some serious trips that involve rock crawling in between. I have seen almost every 4x4 vehicle in action at a time.
    I does not own a FJ but close friends and family does. I have drive and tested them in most conditions. On all the trips I have done were FJ`s were involved they stood out above the rest.

Stephen on the ML and all the other high powered SUV`s. Have seen them in action. They are fine in the type of environment were Bartho took his BMW. I were on a trip with SuperHansie a few years ago where a ML hit a sharp dune base. It destroyed the whole front section plus coolers and radiators. Biggest problem with a SUV like the ML is, is that they have all the power but is hopelessly under tyred for serious dune driving. With protection and 35 x 12.5 x 16`s they would make nice dune machines. But I think it impossible to fit proper sand rubber on them.

Ian on the Patrols. The best Sand machine I ever saw in action were the 427 V8 Patrol called Yster. The one that belonged to Tommie Watkins.

Maybe the forum should arrange a dune weekend at Waterford. Then we get a few FJ`s, Dusters and any other 4x4`s involved.
    Then everyone can come and see for themselves which is the best 4x4 in sand.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    25%...

How did they do this.. Please elaborate!
    following..

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    That FJ is nice.

The kilos are a tad high, but trust me, those FJ's are bullet proof in the dunes. Price is not bad either for that one. If you buying it as a TOY or second 4x4 , Go for it. I would.

I made a statement once and said that FJ's as stock are useless. I retract my statement.
    RechardT

Now- Toyo GD6 2.8- Creed

One day is One day- Dodge Ram 6.7l TD.

You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rechardt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Ian on the Patrols. The best Sand machine I ever saw in action were the 427 V8 Patrol called Yster. The one that belonged to Tommie Watkins.
    Oom Christo - Tommie (whilst still driving Yster) arranged the first dune trip I drove along with the Patrol Forum. This was several years ago, and included Waterford and Transboegoe. We stayed at Transboegoe. That Patrol was unstoppable... But it was also very far from standard...

I think, following the accident in Namibia, that motor is now in one of the other Patrol Forum trucks. I seem to recall Attie has a pickup named Yster2. I imagine that it will probably be in action in the dunes again at the Patrol 70th anniversary get together at Goerapan later this month.

But we are digressing now.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Stephen on the ML and all the other high powered SUV`s. Have seen them in action. They are fine in the type of environment were Bartho took his BMW. I were on a trip with SuperHansie a few years ago where a ML hit a sharp dune base. It destroyed the whole front section plus coolers and radiators. Biggest problem with a SUV like the ML is, is that they have all the power but is hopelessly under tyred for serious dune driving. With protection and 35 x 12.5 x 16`s they would make nice dune machines. But I think it impossible to fit proper sand rubber on them.

Oom Christo, this is exactly what I was referring too. While the Touareg is massive in sand, there is just no way I will take it on a real dune trip - the risk of damage is just too great. Now if I could have put on a replacement front bumper and some rocksliders, hell, that will make for an awesome 4x4!!!

I think we came to a conclusion, the most fuel efficient 4x4 that is capable of real dune trips without needing too much extras seems to be the FJ?
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

On the ML I totally agree. I was thinking the G500. The square boxy one favoured by the Hollywood set, but not the AMG63 version. I think they come in a G350D professional - very stripped out and basic for the price, but it wont rev in the dunes. Then the AMG versions, but I think there is a G500 - with a big v8 but without the AMG trapping. Surely this would have power, revs, three locking diffs, but may be a bit heavier than the FJ Cruiser.

On the ML I totally agree. I was thinking the G500. The square boxy one favoured by the Hollywood set, but not the AMG63 version. I think they come in a G350D professional - very stripped out and basic for the price, but it wont rev in the dunes. Then the AMG versions, but I think there is a G500 - with a big v8 but without the AMG trapping. Surely this would have power, revs, three locking diffs, but may be a bit heavier than the FJ Cruiser.
    yes. But not sure if you can fit decent rubber without some significant mods on the suspension? The disk rotars on the 500 is massive so don't think you can go lower than 19" rims.

Like so......

Edit - I see those are 18" so might be possible!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO-2021-07-07-11-35-03.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	629850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO-2021-07-07-11-35-05.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	629851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO-2021-07-07-11-35-07.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	629852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO-2021-07-07-11-35-16.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	629853  
    Last edited by Nys; 2021/09/14 at 09:40 AM.
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

The G is great and the G350D is awesomely capable and will most probably do well enough in the dunes if not very well as it is.
    But the V8 one's all have (Because this is a German car) BEEEG brakes, requiring BEEEG rims, leaving no space for tyres

I see Nys replied already
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/09/14 at 09:40 AM.
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    yes. But not sure if you can fit decent rubber without some significant mods on the suspension? The disk rotars on the 500 is massive so don't think you can go lower than 19" rims.

Like so......

Edit - I see those are 18" so might be possible!!!
    You photo shows portals..
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

Haven't read the entire thread...

What about an Amarok 2lt Bi TDI 4Motion?
    The little extra you use in the dunes you will save on the road with town or long road driving.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion Auto

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazza For This Useful Post:

Now to be really critical here , I mentioned the FJ because I found it to be more economical than i though it to be and in the sand to have the same or even slightly better fuel economy than the diesels that did the same dunes.

But , to get the OP , there were diesels on our trip that got much better fuel consumption than the rest of the group , and yet did the whole trip without problem, eccept fo the fact that they chose to go fishing or leave their vehicles in camp when we chose to go play in the dunes.
    So to answer your question you need to decide what the nature of your dune trip will be.

I say again, you dont need the best 4x4 to have fun, I think I would have had more fun with the cheap Hardbody, but it would have consumed much more fuel.

On a side note about having fun, there was a GD6 2.4 Hilux in another group that joined us when we went to play in the dunes, it was about as capable as my Hardbody would have been, possibly more so , but the Hardbody would definitely have been more fun, while burning about double the fuel.
    My logic therefore tells me that the relevant equation is "burning fuel = fun " and petrols are better at that than diesels
    Last edited by Bex; 2021/09/14 at 09:54 AM.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Jup - I did say significant mods

But the tyres are 37x12.5R18
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

The tour operators along the coast used to call the FJ the tok-tokkie, like running over the dunes.

Before the FJ came onto the market those tour operators were of the opinion the Prado were the better vehicle for the dunes. But they also said most of the time its the driver that struggles, not the vehicle.

The worst vehicle there I saw was the 2.4 hardbody, just too 'pap'.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/09/14 at 09:56 AM.
    Johan Kriel

Well if we can be silly then what about the G 4x4 Squared?
    https://www.autoevolution.com/cars/m...7at-4x4-422-hp
    I saw a few of these in Jeddah. Pretty awesome in pretty much any conditions. (That could be the portal axles that Nys was showing as these have them.) Saudi is a good place to own one of these. I never saw a fuel slip for more than about $5 for my guys that were working there.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    The JL 392 will not be sold in RHD anywhere. And you under-estimate the fuel savings on the new Hemi with MDS.
    they sell RHD jeeps in America new- the postal service uses them.

https://www.holzhauers.com/right-han...s-for-sale.htm

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    they sell RHD jeeps in America new- the postal service uses them.

https://www.holzhauers.com/right-han...s-for-sale.htm
    Indeed. Not the 392 Hemi.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

So now that we've established that there is no such thing as an economical dune machine I suggest you keep the V6 Pajero. Save money for extra petrol. Chuck mechanical sympathy out of the window and gooi mielies.

The following video should be watched with eye protection due to possible flying Tupperware.

SS kicked in.

https://youtu.be/agRsyzaW0RM
    Last edited by Tom13; 2021/09/14 at 03:11 PM.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast