Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Default Re: Most fuel efficient 4x4 capable of doing dune trips

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    So now that we've established that there is no such thing as an economical dune machine I suggest you keep the V6 Pajero. Save money for extra petrol. Chuck mechanical sympathy out of the window and gooi mielies.

The following video should be watched with eye protection due to possible flying Tupperware.

SS kicked in.

https://youtu.be/agRsyzaW0RM
    That looks like serious fun! Would love to try that with my Cherokee Trailhawk.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

I would seriously love to do a dune trip with the cruiser. It’s on my bucket list forsure. She might be big and heavy but she has the power and torque to take on the dunes for sure.

Would be great to have a group tour doing a dune trip in deed. I’m in for such a trip.
    You have one shot.
    Make it count.

Default Re: Most fuel efficient 4x4 capable of dune trips

I did faces of the Namib in 2011 with my Petrol 4.2 Patrol and by the end of the trip it gave me 2.23km/lt, all of it in Low range, and the going was heavy because of the 3 speed auto box with a very low diff ratio. All in all not a good vehicle to use in the dunes/desert.

I had a total tank size of 250lt plus 4 Jerry cans with 20lt each, and I emptied one jerry can into the tank on each of the first two nights. at the end of the trip I had 21lt left in my tanks.

The trip starts in Solitaire, shoots straight for the coast, the goes south to an abandoned mining town, turns north and ends in Walvisbaai. I can't recall the mileage, but it was a 6 day/ 5 night trip and we had to carry all our food, water and accommodation. RTTs were not advised due to top heavy vehicles and dunes do not going hand in hand.

Two vehicles that totally blew me away were: a then brand new Hilux 3.0 D4D diesel auto and a 4.8 Patrol auto, both standard on standard size tyres. While the Patrol was obviously very thirsty, the Hilux got around 5km/lt in the desert and on route to Namibia about 12km/lt. It was fast and nimble on the sand and climbing the dunes. I am no Toyota fan, but heck, that D4D really impressed me no end.

The worst three vehicles were: (and all 3 were and very heavy on fuel)
    1 - my 4.2 Patrol 3 speed auto (very long gear ratios, mostly not in its power band .
    2 - a 2700i Toyota Hilux that just did not seem to have the power to climb the dunes
    3 - a BMW 2.8 engined Defender. It was like he was towing a ships anchor, ha;s way up dunes he would loose momentum, swapping forward motion with wheels spinning wildly.

The above was my personal and actual experiences of dunes/desert driving over 5 days and about 700km

To me the best vehicle overall on that trip was that D4D!!!

Pictures of THAT D4D and also of some of the group (12 vehicles in total). The guides used very potent and capable Cruiser V6 Bakkies that were also drinking for a spot on the first team...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Namib Faces M&L10a.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	629930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01284.JPG 
Views:	278 
Size:	812.4 KB 
ID:	629931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01396.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	821.0 KB 
ID:	629932  
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2021/09/14 at 10:28 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Jhb area for now, maybe will look at moving WC way, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires.
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Malcom daardie selfde rooi Cruiser in 2011 of `n Luderitz - Walvis trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    So now that we've established that there is no such thing as an economical dune machine I suggest you keep the V6 Pajero. Save money for extra petrol. Chuck mechanical sympathy out of the window and gooi mielies.

The following video should be watched with eye protection due to possible flying Tupperware.

SS kicked in.

https://youtu.be/agRsyzaW0RM

That is easy dune driving You should be able to do it in 2wd

2WD? ja right .
    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    That is easy dune driving You should be able to do it in 2wd

I was planning a little trip from Midrand to Swakopmund and doing my fuel consumption
    and cost calculation for my 2012 KK Jeep Chrokee 3.7 L Sport A/T.

Unless my calculator was faulty, my estimate fuel cost for the trip (one way only!) was
    just short of R6000.

My Jeep has only done less than 70 000 km total, and buying a fuel efficient new or newer
    4 x 4, while personally affordable, according to my calculator or my spreadsheet does not
    make to much sense.

Considering alternatives I was doing the fuel and cost calculations for a little light on fuel
    4 seater and the projected fuel cost, one way, Midrand to Swakopmung (via Walvis Bay)
    was only about R3250, alas, that 4 seater does not have a four wheel or even a two
    wheel drive, only a one prop drive.

Bearing in mind the saving in travel times, fuel, and accommodation costs while driving
    there and back, flying there and renting a 4 x 4 locally seems increasingly viable.

The cost of such a used, but good condition 4 seater is comparable with the cost
    of some of the better, used, more fuel efficient 4 x 4s.

Problem is that the little aerie we wanted to buy is waiting for weeks for a part
    from the USA. The previous owner, misguidedly set it for refurbishing when the
    new one would only take a few days to arrive and would not be much more
    expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    "And budget around R300 000. The Pajero for comparison cost only R150 000."

How much petrol can you buy for R150k?

Assuming you buy cash:

R150,000 / R18.30 = 8,197 liters

That is CONSERVATIVELY 16,000kms in the dunes.............

Do your sums.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8