Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tankwa roads eating tyres

Tyre warning----- those Tankwa stones can shred tyres sidewalls.

I have just heard of a party there about two weeks ago who lost two tyres.
    I suspect the roads were recently graded which caused those sharp stones to stand upright.
    It takes a while for cars to push them to the side of the tracks. Also do not cross the middlemannetjie.

Most important - keep speeds below 60km. Take puncture kits and compressor.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tankwa roads eating tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post

I suspect the roads were recently graded which caused those sharp stones to stand upright.
    It takes a while for cars to push them to the side of the tracks. Also do not cross the middlemannetjie.

High speed, according to me, is the biggest reason for the high amount of punctures on that road.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind≤)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

I had to learn the hard way to ignore the Hilux Handbook recommendation for 2.4 Front and 2.8 Rear when loaded, when on this (and similar) roads. A local farmer who stopped to help me with a wheel change here once said that he ran his bakkie at 1.6 all round.

I find 1.6 a bit scary, but now run at 1.8 all round in this district. This also compels me to limit my speed to to 80 km/hr max, which is what you should do on a gravel road with a loose surface anyway. I haven't had a puncture since adopting this policy.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RodS For This Useful Post:

Same experience with running at 1.8. No issues with the Isuzus after many trips through the area.

Did lose a trailer tire though, but this was a 5 year old fong kong product and I didn't expect it to last. We bought a spare for it before heading down the R355. It failed in the last 10km on that road, taking half the wheel arch with

Lower speed and 1.6bar is spot on for bad gravel roads.

We have done 2 Namibia trips in the past, with some big gravel sections. Never lost a tyre (all terrains) with above advise.

We had family get together trip at DIe Dam between Gansbaai and Struisbaai. Everyone deflated and got there nice and early, except one guy who said the ford's book says 2.6bar. He got there way after dark after losing one tyre and fixing another.

After that he deflated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    Lower speed and 1.6bar is spot on for bad gravel roads.

We have done 2 Namibia trips in the past, with some big gravel sections. Never lost a tyre (all terrains) with above advise.

We had family get together trip at DIe Dam between Gansbaai and Struisbaai. Everyone deflated and got there nice and early, except one guy who said the ford's book says 2.6bar. He got there way after dark after losing one tyre and fixing another.

After that he deflated.
    Deflating is a debatable issue. We were three Dc bakkies with similar loads doing Namibia. Two, normal pressure and one deflated (on gravel). The guy with deflated tyres was the one who lost a tyre. Could be that he had Bridgestones.

Most important factor is drivestyle and an approriate tyre for the conditions. An HT tyre will not survive the Tankwa.

Bostoe
    Last edited by bostoe; 2021/09/07 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bostoe View Post
    Deflating is a debatable issue. We were three Dc bakkies with similar loads doing Namibia. Two, normal pressure and one deflated (on gravel). The guy with deflated tyres was the one who lost a tyre. Could be that he had Bridgestones.

Most important factor is drivestyle and an approriate tyre for the conditions. An HT tyre will not survive the Tankwa.

Bostoe
    I alsways deflated to about 1.8b with my Defender. It is a debatable subject though as when you deflate, you expose your sidewall more.
    Mike Lauterbach

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I alsways deflated to about 1.8b with my Defender. It is a debatable subject though as when you deflate, you expose your sidewall more.
    I agree that there is an additional risk here, but I have had 4 punctures in this area over the years, (with hard tires), and all of them were a sharp piece of crushed stone punching straight through the tread.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RodS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    High speed, according to me, is the biggest reason for the high amount of punctures on that road.
    Agree, speed is a huge culprit.

I had a set of cheap AT tyres, some fourteen gravel road punctures later I got rid of them..... but each time I got a puncture it was a rear tyre and almost always as I approach 100km/hr on gravel.
    With those tyres, if I stuck to 80km/hr or below, no problem, approaching 100km/hr on a bad gravel road almost guaranteed me a puncture.
    All were rear tyre stone penetrations between the tread blocks.

Edit: Removed tyre brand name.
    Last edited by Searcher; 2021/09/07 at 10:59 AM.

can someone comment on highlighted route.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Trying to understand why higher speed will result in (more) punctures?

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    Nice. Gannaga Pass is very pretty. Don't expect much of Middlepos, there's really nothing there. Gannaga Lodge is a nice stop.

I'm not sure what the roads in Tankwa National Park are like, often very corrugated. If you can I would suggest that you turn off near Tankwa Padstal (also worth a visit) and then take Skieterrypas and Katbakkiespas and then Op-Die-Berg and Ceres. It's a really beautiful drive.

https://goo.gl/maps/aMY22Zy2ojuHhhgh6
    Last edited by niclemaitre; 2021/09/07 at 11:20 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niclemaitre For This Useful Post:

The roads are extremely corrugated, probably because of the non deflation spoken about earlier... Because it's "debatable"

Seriously.. When we tackle some corrugations now.. My wife gives them a rating against those in Tankwa - We have not found their equal yet
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/09/07 at 11:41 AM.
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

I have a vivid recollection of deflating my tyres to 1.2 bar, and crawling the 30 km from the gate to the offices at 10 km/h, because that produced the easiest ride of all speeds tried between 0 and 100 km/h.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niclemaitre For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    I was there 3 weeks ago and the roads were not in bad condition one had to govern ones speed.

I suggest you allow a longer time for that route - many places to see that are worth while.

It would be interesting to find out which side tyres punctured the most - drivers or passenger. As I have a theory that the closer one gets to the side of the road the easier it is to puncture.
    We lost a trailer tyre on the last trip on the passenger side - side wall gash, just after we passed vehicle coming from the front.

Luckily the tyre pressure monitor alerted us and we did not shred it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post

I have seen a Jag SUV with no rubber on the rims, any rims, all four.

During the burn, I must have plugged over 50 tires.

Its the ultimate test, highish speed, shale rock and corrugations.

Debatable, I've heard a few guys say that you rather over inflate, when I went I dropped to 1.8, stayed at 60 and still lost a tyre..no corrugations to speak of.
    FJC - Just Cruising

I think you need to be careful about a blanket rule for Tankwa "skallie" gravel and other areas like Namibia.

I'v done the Tankwa a few times and the only time I had a flat was running lower pressures with the trailer attached (extra weight on the rear tyres).

I'd be interested to see if all the punctures where the rear wheels, and probably left rear.

As mentioned, left is closer to the edge.

My theory is that the front tyres flip up a stone (in Tankwa they are shaped like an axe head) and then then rear tyre either runs over it or into it causing a sidewall cut. So decent tyres with sidewall protection will help, and higher pressures will help keep the sidewall out of harms way. By higher I mean 2.0 or so.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

I have heard the locals don't deflate - use normal pressure - but keep speed to 60kmh max.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    Trying to understand why higher speed will result in (more) punctures?
    The front tyres fling the stones backwards into the rear tyres. cutting the inside wall.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Karl Reay For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast