Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Camp fridge,105ah battery and solar?

My only advise to the OP,

Go out and test for yourself. Everyone has different opinions. You will be the only one to establish what is best for you. You will without a doubt find yourself with the best setup (for yourself) by going into the field and experiment with these things. The most expensive equipment is not always the best for you and the cheaper equipment might not be either, but there are enough equipment options that will suite YOUR budget and give YOU what you need so that you have happy times when camping.

That is all I can say, good luck.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tall Paul For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatbike View Post
    Another question at what temp can fridge be st to keep meat still frozen.
    I run my fridge at -8C for frozen goods.
    Robert van den Berg

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Duh 0 degrees or colder?
    Well, no, not really. The setting at zero on some fridges doesn't mean that the contents are at zero, just that the fridge compressor will kick in when the sensor strip outside the compartment senses zero. To be safe I keep mine at -10 (fridge side at +4). That way variations that arise when the cover is open do not allow the contents above zero. And not all substances freeze at zero, but I doubt we need to get that technical, my setting is always below -4.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Zero degrees.
    After looking at some test that were done its clear that not all fridges are at 0º when set to 0º (Some are higher and some lower)

The OP will have to experiment.

PS I could never understand the frozen meat thing, vacuum packed meat at 4º will just get better and better every day
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Quote Originally Posted by shfish View Post
    Kudus, probably more important than anything mentioned yet, ensure your panels are standing at the correct angle to the sun. I seldom see panels at the recommended 30 degrees. In my experience, standing your panels at just 10 degrees out, you will lose about 30 percent efficiency.
    My 2c worth.
    The OP can use this site.

http://www.solarelectricityhandbook....alculator.html
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    After looking at some test that were done its clear that not all fridges are at 0º when set to 0º (Some are higher and some lower)

PS I could never understand the frozen meat thing, vacuum packed meat at 4º will just get better and better every day
    I am 100% in agreement with the vacuum packed theory. Not only because the foam packaging takes up a lot of room but because the product is close to each other it helps to keep it frozen or cold even at degrees over zero. We tell our butcher we are going camping and everything has to be vacuum packed, no packaging paper or foam. Never had an issue they are happy to do it.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post

True, but that won’t keep my ice cream and ice blocks frozen.Also prawns should be stored at lower temps. 😇

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Considering that you are looking at a Victron solar regulator would it not make more sense to look at the WRND charger which combines DC to DC & an MPPT solar controller?

https://4x4direct.co.za/dc-to-dc-cha...110661867.html

The WRND is only a little more expensive but would give you the option to charge from alternator. Dependent on your usage the alternator can be a great way of charging the battery. In my case the morning game drive basically re-charges the battery. Back at camp I connect my 80W panel which meets the demand of 2 fridges meaning we don't dip into the battery at all.

The afternoon game drive tops up any battery usage.

Obviously during the night we use a bit of battery but this is replenished on the morning game drive.
    I will not go that route because of backup or redundancy.

If that single unit fails on day 5 of your 21 day trip jnto the Botswana wilderness, you will be up toilets creek without a puddle and may have to end your trip.

I also have the Smart Victron units (DC to DC, MPPT and also a Smart Victron Shunt).That means that should one charger fail, you at least you have something to fall back on, even if it means that you have to compromise your methods somewhat.

The Shunt will be invaluable on helping you to adjust you charging regimen.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2021/09/08 at 11:04 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Jhb area for now, maybe will look at moving WC way, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires.
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

I've now watched youtube vids and read up on it, but in layman's terms ... what's the difference between PWM and MPPT?

From what i've gathered, it that the MPPT utilizes almost 100% of incoming power from the panel, where as the PWM can't? But why? Algorithms?

Quote Originally Posted by fatbike View Post
    Another question at what temp can fridge be st to keep meat still frozen.
    I run my freezer at -5 once everything is frozen hard (either in the freezer at home or after adding more meat etc en route).

I find at -5 everything stays frozen AND I can leave the bottle ov Gin ant the 1lt bottle of tonic without worrying that it will freeze. I add two cans of beer at a time and even they do not freeze if left in there for 3 to four hours. The wife's Savanas (bottles) can stay at -5 for even longer.

Whatever you do, do not try that with the wife's salad ingredients, they will get frostbite at any setting below +4 or 5 degrees. Most freezers run to 2 or 3 beyond the setting, then the compressor turns off until the temperature goes 2 or 3 degrees above the setting before turning on again.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2021/09/08 at 10:57 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Jhb area for now, maybe will look at moving WC way, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires.
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    I've now watched youtube vids and read up on it, but in layman's terms ... what's the difference between PWM and MPPT?

From what i've gathered, it that the MPPT utilizes almost 100% of incoming power from the panel, where as the PWM can't? But why? Algorithms?
    The long and the short of it is.

PWM (Pulse with modulation) It is basically just a switch that directly connect your panels to the battery.

MPPT (Multiple Power Point Tracking) When panels are seried, the controller is able to search for the best "setting" in terms of volts and amps available and providing a better charge to your batteries.

But MPPT's only really make sense / come into their right with large installations of 500W and more.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    The long and the short of it is.

PWM (Pulse with modulation) It is basically just a switch that directly connect your panels to the battery.

MPPT (Multiple Power Point Tracking) When panels are seried, the controller is able to search for the best "setting" in terms of volts and amps available and providing a better charge to your batteries.

But MPPT's only really make sense / come into their right with large installations of 500W and more.
    thanks, so my 2 x 90W panels, in parallel with my 20A Victron PWM is a good marriage? I've watched too many vids and started thinking my choice of controller was crap.

thanks, so my 2 x 90W panels, in parallel with my 20A Victron PWM is a good marriage? I've watched too many vids and started thinking my choice of controller was crap.
    Perfect for your setup.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...r-pwm-or-mppt/

More technical...

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...WM-or-MPPT.pdf
    Robert van den Berg

Morning- Skip, what are the dimensions of your 90w panels and approx weight?

I need to get but can only go up to 180w currently.. flexible fold up panels are nice but so is the price
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.4 4x4 auto
    Metalian Maxi
    2014 Jeep Cherokee 3,2 Limited AWD A/T (swambo)

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Overland (sold)
    2011 Fortuner 3 D4D 4x4 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman71 View Post

I need to get but can only go up to 180w currently.. flexible fold up panels are nice but so is the price
    Don't know if its the same as Morne's, but the Enersol panels were the only 90W panels I could find a while back.

See https://www.sustainable.co.za/enerso...lar-panel.html for dimensions and specs.

(There are other (cheaper) online suppliers as well)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman71 View Post

they are 1000 x 600, if i had to guess, probably 7-8kg each ... but I have space for the in my canopy's roof, if that makes sense. So utilizing dead space, otherwise they are bulky, but they work lekker

Bought them at Geewiz probably 4 - 5 years back

they are 1000 x 600, if i had to guess, probably 7-8kg each ... but I have space for the in my canopy's roof, if that makes sense. So utilizing dead space, otherwise they are bulky, but they work lekker

Bought them at Geewiz probably 4 - 5 years back
    Thanks
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.4 4x4 auto
    Metalian Maxi
    2014 Jeep Cherokee 3,2 Limited AWD A/T (swambo)

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Overland (sold)
    2011 Fortuner 3 D4D 4x4 (sold)

Perfect just like it is yes. The gain you will have from an MPPT will be very very little.

The only reason I have one is because at the time, I found what was the bees knees at the time (Ctek D250S at R2450.00 brand new about 7-8 years ago) at a giveaway price, and I liked the idea of having a dc-dc charger that can do solar as well.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    He did not ask at what temp if freezes, but at what temp can you keep it frozen, if I go away I will put my frozen meet in fridge at 2 to 4 deg it will still stay frozen for 2 or 3 days depending how much frozen stuff you have in it and how obtain you open lid
    maybe that’s what he was Asking and his question was not specific enuf
    that’s the way see it
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    Read the question again. …many people have the same thoughts.

What is the lowest recommended setting to keep goods (meat) frozen? I presume in the interests of reducing freezer power draw and thus reducing the load on the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    I’ll take the bait.

Zero degrees might be the temp at which the produce is frozen but is not that temp at which is should be stored…otherwise freezer settings would go no lower than 0c.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consum...ng-food-safely
    Here is the question:

"Another question at what temp can fridge be set to keep meat still frozen."

The temp to keep stuff frozen is FREEZING POINT.

Above zero means a slow thaw and potentially spoiled food. Far below zero is probably better as mentioned for other foods.

But that WASN'T THE QUESTION.
    Neither is Whether your fridge thermostat is wrong or not.

Bloody hell.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Here is the question:

"Another question at what temp can fridge be set to keep meat still frozen."

The temp to keep stuff frozen is FREEZING POINT.

Above zero means a slow thaw and potentially spoiled food. Far below zero is probably better as mentioned for other foods.

But that WASN'T THE QUESTION.
    Neither is Whether your fridge thermostat is wrong or not.

Bloody hell.
    You're missing the grey in between....

Robert van den Berg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast