Default Kia Sportage 4x4 vs Nissan Terrano

I am contemplating purchasing either a KIA Sportage 4x4 [old type with low range] or a Nissan Terrano to do a few trips ie Baviaans/Cederberg etc-nothing seriously. I am semi retired and owns an AWD KIA Sportage that I do not wish to damage going off-road. My orriginal idea was to get an off-road bike but it will be selfish to leave my missus at home-these brands go for cheap and it will not cost an arm and a leg to undertake repairs/upgrades. To my mind they are both reliable and small and compact that will suit our needs. Any advice on your preference based on experience will be much appreciated

Default Re: Kia Sportage 4x4 vs Nissan Terrano

I had the first gen Sportage and found it to be very under rated , it never let me down . I had it for 7 years and toured Namibia without any issues and I sold it because I got a good offer to buy an Outlander . My two main gripes were it is a bit underpowered ( auto ) and aircon was weak , fuel consumption is quite high but I had a 40mm lift and 215 tyres and on a good day would get 8Km/l on the open road , apparently the manual is better. The engine is a Mazda 626 so spares are fairly easy to come by and the only thing I would do is change the air hubs to manual hubs as the air ones will let you down. There are many Sportages on the road so spares should not be an issue , not sure about the Terrano.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Rodrigues For This Useful Post:

The Terrano was one helluva good off-roader, especially in SWB form but they are hen's teeth now. Its 2.7 Tdi engine is apparently very good; ask Reenen. But then again, look at your Forum title and consider that first!
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Andrew-thank you very much for your info-much appreciated. the manual gearbox is then the way to go

Thanks Jen-I noticed a few for sale-if I get a 3 door one, will consider it.
    I sold my petrol Pajero SWB to a friend [what a mistake] and bought a DID SWB recently- It looked ok from outside but had to spend R17,000 before it go through road worthy. The mechanic warned me about the diffs that were opened before as well as the engine and advised to get rid of it which I did. It was my own fault-I did not check the papers whenI bought it from a private individual. When I arrived home I only realised he bought it from Webuycars and I had to register it ex Webuycars. I thought it was his own private one. I suspect I had 'buy it now' fever.My Sportage is AWD but rather new and I just have to do a few off-road trips.
    My worry with the Terrano is that it is diesel and with high milage on the clock, may be a bit risky in repair cost. Best wishe