Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: These Ford engines are crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosvark Kzn View Post
    Eish....
    JLSA wants R40k for 4 new injectors.
    JLR quoted my FIL the same amount to replace 4 injectors. The guy at JLR was kind enough to tell him to go to the Bosch shop across the road. 1 injector seal and R1000 later the Freelander was purring away. Still running like new. LR is open about the fact that they don't "fix", they only replace.

Out of interest, did the landy lie on its side with the motor running for a while by any chance?

Saying its a POS without knowing its history and with 170k kms on it is a bit unfair. I have a few friends with 2.2 pumas and 2.4 puma's that have done well over 200k kms without issues. Mine have only done around 120k kms so cant compare.

(sorry I did not read the entire thread so I could be picking up stompies)

PS. I was told ford were selling these motors for around R40k. Not sure how true that is but did you investigate that option?
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma
    New Defender 110 D240

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzr...LJ470_H4QwPgVA

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Out of interest, did the landy lie on its side with the motor running for a while by any chance?

Saying its a POS without knowing its history and with 170k kms on it is a bit unfair. I have a few friends with 2.2 pumas and 2.4 puma's that have done well over 200k kms without issues. Mine have only done around 120k kms so cant compare.

(sorry I did not read the entire thread so I could be picking up stompies)

PS. I was told ford were selling these motors for around R40k. Not sure how true that is but did you investigate that option?
    Bruce your first question, I can’t answer, ‘cos I don’t know, but I doubt it and this is why.

1) The 2.2 is fitted with an inerta switch, which should cut the motor in the event of a roll over or other accident event.
    2) In a previous life, I was quite involved with accident damaged vehicles and my experience is:
    If the motor is switched of seconds after roll over . No damage
    If the motor continues to run. Big end and main bearing damage very possible.
    If the vehicle is left upside down, oil could seep through and end up on the pistons. If this happens one have to remove injectors or spark plugs (petrol motor) before attempting to start it, or else you could end up with bent conrods.

My motor had no indication of damage as a result of the roll over and it is confirmed now that the motor is open and I inspected all the components. Everything is 100%, only the no.3 piston failed.

Now when I called it a POS, I was referring not only to my motor, but to the 2.2 Ford motor in general. There’s many threads, not only on this forum, other forums too, which points to the fact that these motors have a problem with pistons failing. I also have friends and relatives who experienced the same.

I can get a motor new from Ford for about R48k, but I’ve decided to repair mine and replace the pistons with AE pistons, which I’m led to believe is of a much better quality than the Ford pistons.

So it’s a bit of an experiment and only time will tell if the motor lasts longer with the AE pistons.

It seems the 2.2 is more prone to do it. The 2.4 not so much. My 2.4 failed as a result of overheating.
    Last edited by Bosvark Kzn; 2021/09/22 at 01:11 PM.
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

When the landy is running again invest in a proper egt gauge. That crack might be cause of that
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Quote Originally Posted by Sam vd Merwe View Post
    When the landy is running again invest in a proper egt gauge. That crack might be cause of that
    Ya, itís good to know what EGT you running and I will definitely at some stage fit a Madman or something similar.
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

Bruce your first question, I canít answer, Ďcos I donít know, but I doubt it and this is why.

1) The 2.2 is fitted with an inerta switch, which should cut the motor in the event of a roll over or other accident event.
    2) In a previous life, I was quite involved with accident damaged vehicles and my experience is:
    If the motor is switched of seconds after roll over . No damage
    If the motor continues to run. Big end and main bearing damage very possible.
    If the vehicle is left upside down, oil could seep through and end up on the pistons. If this happens one have to remove injectors or spark plugs (petrol motor) before attempting to start it, or else you could end up with bent conrods.

My motor had no indication of damage as a result of the roll over and it is confirmed now that the motor is open and I inspected all the components. Everything is 100%, only the no.3 piston failed.

Now when I called it a POS, I was referring not only to my motor, but to the 2.2 Ford motor in general. Thereís many threads, not only on this forum, other forums too, which points to the fact that these motors have a problem with pistons failing. I also have friends and relatives who experienced the same.

I can get a motor new from Ford for about R48k, but Iíve decided to repair mine and replace the pistons with AE pistons, which Iím led to believe is of a much better quality than the Ford pistons.

So itís a bit of an experiment and only time will tell if the motor lasts longer with the AE pistons.

It seems the 2.2 is more prone to do it. The 2.4 not so much. My 2.4 failed as a result of overheating.

ok thank you for the explanation.

Why did your 2.4 overheat?

Good luck with the repairs.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma
    New Defender 110 D240

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    ok thank you for the explanation.

Why did your 2.4 overheat?

Good luck with the repairs.
    The hose between the coolant reservoir and the motor chafed through against the bellhousing, resulting in coolant loss and it overheated.
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

The hose between the coolant reservoir and the motor chafed through against the bellhousing, resulting in coolant loss and it overheated.

thank you. Good to check. Iíve just replaced most of the coolant stuff as a precaution. Will check those pipes also
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma
    New Defender 110 D240

On the D1's and defender's of the older types i would guess that 99 % of people fitted the madman to warn for water loss - the rest of the features was just a bonus

do the modern puma's not have a low level alarm in the dash as std ?

Had one on my TD5, I tried to get a madman fitted to my puma but eventually gave up after being messed around by a fitter and not being able to find another. Pity as it’s a good product
    Last edited by BruceT; 2021/09/22 at 07:25 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma
    New Defender 110 D240

does the bore or stroke of the 2.2 match that of the 2.4?
    If the stroke is the same maybe there is a possibility to go oversize on the bore?
    Defender 130
    Defender 90

Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post
    does the bore or stroke of the 2.2 match that of the 2.4?
    If the stroke is the same maybe there is a possibility to go oversize on the bore?
    I think the stroke is the same, the 2.4 bore is obviously bigger.
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

Havent read the whole thread. Is the ford 2,2 and puma the exact same motor . Is the 2,4 just the same motor with bigger pistons.I wonder how much just the pistons cost for the AE type.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Havent read the whole thread. Is the ford 2,2 and puma the exact same motor . Is the 2,4 just the same motor with bigger pistons.I wonder how much just the pistons cost for the AE type.
    I asked the question in my first post, and I think I can answer the question now that my 2.2 is in the process of getting overhauled right next to a few 2.2 Ranger motors. I canít see any difference between the two. I didnít compare the sumps, but I think thatís different and some of the hanging parts, like the intake manifold is definitely different.

Injectors look exactly the same, but the numbers on the injectors are not the same.

AE pistons and rings on the 2.2 is R5600.00 excl.v.a.t
    Price should be about the same on the 2.4
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

I asked the question in my first post, and I think I can answer the question now that my 2.2 is in the process of getting overhauled right next to a few 2.2 Ranger motors. I canít see any difference between the two. I didnít compare the sumps, but I think thatís different and some of the hanging parts, like the intake manifold is definitely different.

Injectors look exactly the same, but the numbers on the injectors are not the same.

AE pistons and rings on the 2.2 is R5600.00 excl.v.a.t
    Price should be about the same on the 2.4

where are you having the work done? you mentioned its a friend of yours, would be good to know for future reference..
    Defender 130
    Defender 90

Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post
    where are you having the work done? you mentioned its a friend of yours, would be good to know for future reference..
    Anthony, BG Engineering 083 554 5073
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

Just got the motor back, they worked late to get it done.

Tomorrow Iíll fit all the hanging parts and get it ready for fitment. Hopefully the clutch kit will be here on Monday, Iíve decided to replace the clutch while the motor is out, then I can have it back in the Landy and with a bit of luck we can do first start-up on Tuesday.

Canít wait to drive this thing again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

Sterkte daar met die bou. Hoop hy doen die keer n miljoen kilos
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sam vd Merwe For This Useful Post:

So she’s running again, took a bit longer than anticipated. Had the injector values checked, by means of live data while engine is idling.

Apparently the values should be below 999 ( not sure what value it’s looking at)

On no.2 cylinder it’s 1004 and on no.3 cylinder (the one that failed) it’s 1084.

But, she’s running and running fine, no smoke on start-up or while driving and no other abnormalities noticed, so I’ll take her to another place on Monday to check the “injector values”, just to get a 2nd opinion before I start replacing injectors.

She’s running so perfect, it’s hard to believe no.2 and no.3 injector is over fueling (according to the diagnostics we did).
    Last edited by Bosvark Kzn; 2021/10/02 at 08:07 PM.
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

S
    So she’s running again, took a bit longer than anticipated. Had the injector values checked, by means of live data while engine is idling.

Apparently the values should be below 999 ( not sure what value it’s looking at)

On no.2 cylinder it’s 1004 and on no.3 cylinder (the one that failed) it’s 1084.

But, she’s running and running fine, no smoke on start-up or while driving and no other abnormalities noticed, so I’ll take her to another place on Monday to check the “injector values”, just to get a 2nd opinion before I start replacing injectors.

She’s running so perfect, it’s hard to believe no.2 and no.3 injector is over fueling (according to the diagnostics we did).
    So it’s a 1500 km after the engine overhaul and so far so good, running perfect (touch wood), but the injector issue is sitting on my mind every time I drive the Landy.

I’ve been talking to people in the business to try learn more about common rail injectors.
    The general feeling is checking values with a diagnostic tool at idle, tells you nothing. Most of the companies “rebuilding” the injectors, admitted it’s really only a short cut and anything can happen after the “rebuild”. Some said they stopped “rebuilding” due to too many comebacks.

So I’ve pulled the trigger on 4 new injectors, should be here on Monday.
    As a matter of interest.

I managed to get original injectors @ R5790 incl V.a.t each
    From the dealers the price is R12118.06

I’ll have the old injectors tested once removed and update the post with the results. I think it will be interesting.
    Last edited by Bosvark Kzn; 2021/10/08 at 07:37 PM.
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast