Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Basic removable battery box

I want to make a very basic removable battery box to purely power a fridge in the load bin for the odd times when I only go out with the vehicle. I don't want to install any cabling from the alternator to make it fully portable between vehicles. I was thinking of adding a solar controller and a 220V charger, so while I'm driving the fridge runs from the battery, but when stationary the battery charges from either a solar panel or a 220V source. No other fancy gimmicks.

Are there any charging units that can accept incoming charge from solar and a 220V source or would I need to include a regulator and a separate 220V charger? I literally want to 3 plugs on the box - solar in, 220v in and fridge out.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Default Re: Basic removable battery box

Plenty solar plus alternator combos out there, but I doubt you'll get a solar and 230V combo so it will have to be 2 separate devices.

Do you plan to mount a solar panel on the vehicle for charging while driving, or is your trips of the nature where you drive to a destination then stand for a few days?
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

The charging is predominantly for when stationary via either 220V or a loose standing solar panel. I'm not too worried about charging while driving - battery power should be enough and if really needed I can plug into the load bin plug connected to the main battery (while driving only).

I hoped there a unit that can do 220v and a solar source, but I don't know of any. Otherwise I'll just chuck in a cheapish PWM (with a loose panel a MPPT is probably an overkill) and a separate normal 220V charger
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

NL grey box and add WRND
    You are going to need multiple items.
    1 DC-DC WRND
    2 basic box diy
    3 Box with outlets but still need 12 volt charge method

Probably only all in one, still need box and battery

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I want to make a very basic removable battery box to purely power a fridge in the load bin for the odd times when I only go out with the vehicle. I don't want to install any cabling from the alternator to make it fully portable between vehicles. I was thinking of adding a solar controller and a 220V charger, so while I'm driving the fridge runs from the battery, but when stationary the battery charges from either a solar panel or a 220V source. No other fancy gimmicks.

Are there any charging units that can accept incoming charge from solar and a 220V source or would I need to include a regulator and a separate 220V charger? I literally want to 3 plugs on the box - solar in, 220v in and fridge out.
    Why not the cabling? I have a fully removable box, it connects to a BH plug in the tray and is very easy for me to whip out and use somewhere else.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JadeDsantos For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    NL grey box and add WRND
    You are going to need multiple items.
    1 DC-DC WRND
    2 basic box diy
    3 Box with outlets but still need 12 volt charge method

Probably only all in one, still need box and battery
    I had a WRND PWM in mind, plus adding a normal 220V charger, plus the basic grey box yes. Going the full WRND or National Luna 25A system is probably an overkill although gives more options (of connecting to alternator)

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Why not the cabling? I have a fully removable box, it connects to a BH plug in the tray and is very easy for me to whip out and use somewhere else.
    I want to use it in multiple vehicles so want a very basic but totally standalone solution.
    Last edited by George; 2021/09/03 at 12:57 PM.

I had a WRND PWM in mind, plus adding a normal 220V charger, plus the basic grey box yes. Going the full WRND or National Luna 25A system is probably an overkill although gives more options (of connecting to alternator)

I want to use it in multiple vehicles so want a very basic but totally standalone solution.
    Okay, so if you get the cabling done in all the cars it would work, since you just unplug it from the one vehicle and plug into the next.

I have the WRND DC2DC on the box, so easy to move from car to car.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JadeDsantos For This Useful Post:

If really needed while driving then I'd rather plug the fridge directly in to the socket in the back, depending on the charger you have, the battery will draw too much current for the vehicle's standard wiring if you try to charge the battery from that socket.

The WRND isn't a bad option, then you have the DC-DC alternator charging as well if needed. Otherwise maybe look at a PWM solar controller as you say, the Victron light controllers is good and not so expensive, a 5A or 10A charger will cost less than R1000.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2021/09/03 at 01:17 PM.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

Hi George

I built myself one in June, very much to the spec that you describe. Will post pic's when I get home.
    The idea was also not to have it linked to the vehicle, but able to charge from 220V at home, or from a PV panel when out in the bush.
    It is mobile, so can power lights in the camping trailer, as well as the fridge when I don't want the fridge on the bakkie.
    It is also used for lights, refrigeration, etc in the little cabin where we hunt in the Eastern Cape.

For 220V I use a National Luna charger. It came standard with two leads. One set has clamps, and the other M6 ring terminals. This lead with the ring terminals is fixed to the battery, and connect to the charger with a quick coupler.
    For solar input I used a Victron PWM charger, which also looks after the DoD of the battery.
    I added quite a few output plugs, to cater for the various lights, fridges, etc that may be used on these trips.

The box has sturdy handles for carrying and tying down during transport. So far so good.

Please shout if you'd like any more detail on the box.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaco vdW For This Useful Post:

Hi, I built a simple little "power station" for most purposes.
    105 amph battery
    solar controller with 2x usb
    220V battery charger 8 amps. Connected directly to battery.
    850W inverter
    100w lose standing solar panel
    Cable to also charge from vehicle 12V. Solar controller limits current demand. No heavy cables required.
    Normal plastic box from midas.
    Hella and cigarette lighter type outputs.
    Permanent volt meter.
    220V multi plug outlet with built in overcurrent trip switch.
    Little kiddies backpack for cables.
    The solar panel and vehicle cables input at the same point (one at a time)
    A multi purpose system for general use either in my bakkie or trailer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	628515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9786.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	628516
    Last edited by JBX; 2021/09/03 at 01:35 PM.
    Find the solutions, not the problems.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JBX For This Useful Post:

Not cheap but this gives you everything you need:
    http://www.hcdpelectronics.co.za/ind...&product_id=98

Note it includes a 220V charger!
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/09/03 at 01:43 PM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 131 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 125 000 km

That options looks similar to what I'm looking for. I'm not after a smart solution and very much have the BL with it's solar for that (then I plug the car fridge into the caravan). This is mainly to chuck into the Series landy for weekend trips or the odd occasion we travel without the caravan so don't want to spend an arm an a leg on something that'll get used very little.

I've got a loose CTEK charger, so probably best to get the WRND for solar and possible DC-DC and use the loose CTEK for 220v if needed.
    Last edited by George; 2021/09/03 at 01:55 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	628548

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	628549

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaco vdW For This Useful Post:

Just to add what works me. I've got a WRND dc-dc charger. But I use a 220v - 24vDC power supply similar to the picture to charge from 220v. When I can't connect my solar panels I plug this power supply in where I would've connected the panels and wha-la I charge from 220v. The power supply costs about R400 depending on the wattage you want to get.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bakgat104 For This Useful Post:

Now that's an interesting thought - use a 220 to 12 transformer and plug it where you'd plug in the car connection. Any reason why this might be a problem?

Now that's an interesting thought - use a 220 to 12 transformer and plug it where you'd plug in the car connection. Any reason why this might be a problem?

I'm not sure if you're referring an old school 220v to 12v transformer?

What's nice about the above power supply is the adjustable voltage dial. You can tweak it a bit to suit your needs. Attached is a paragraph from the WRND website that gives the voltages of charging and disconnection from the alternator.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes, but wouldn't a normal transformer work to run a dc-dc?

Yes, but wouldn't a normal transformer work to run a dc-dc?
    I don't know ... I'd suggest too plug the transformer into 220v and check what comes out at the 12v side?... If it reads above the charge threshold I can't see why not.

Aaah... I'm not sure if you'll get a 12v DC output on a transformer?... Power supply gives DC...
    Last edited by Bakgat104; 2021/09/05 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakgat104 View Post
    I don't know ... I'd suggest too plug the transformer into 220v and check what comes out at the 12v side?... If it reads above the charge threshold I can't see why not.

Aaah... I'm not sure if you'll get a 12v DC output on a transformer?... Power supply gives DC...
    Hmm indeed.

Ok then this should work like yours.
    Last edited by George; 2021/09/05 at 09:27 PM.

Hmm indeed.

Ok then this should work like yours.

Yip... That should work... ..

I personally would go a dash bigger... But of course it all depends what usage will be

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast