Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Clarkson says it like it is

Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Default Re: Clarkson says it like it is

It ain't no working toy

I do like good looking blacksmiths though
    Robert van den Berg...(fully vaccinated with two Pfizer jabs & certified)

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty' (jabbed with 50ppm)
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully' (jabbed with 50ppm)

Jeremy Clarkson, the world’s most prominent motoring journalist
    Nogal, né!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    Nogal, né!
    Well if ASPW can call himself the "doyen of all things 4X4".....
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    It ain't no working toy

she reminds me of Zoolander in a mine.

any way
    i accompanied one to Piesangkloof 4x4.
    nothing wrong with it.

Land Rover? No never in my life. They are over priced and as mentioned way over priced.
    If I really had the money to spend and they would sell in SA, the new Hummer or the new Bronko are way better than this LR. This LR is in anycase just a Sandton crawler

Quote Originally Posted by unrealchris View Post
    Land Rover? No never in my life. They are over priced and as mentioned way over priced.
    If I really had the money to spend and they would sell in SA, the new Hummer or the new Bronko are way better than this LR. This LR is in anycase just a Sandton crawler
    You have noooo idea
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by unrealchris View Post
    land rover? No never in my life. They are over priced and as mentioned way over priced.
    If i really had the money to spend and they would sell in sa, the new hummer or the new bronko are way better than this lr. This lr is in anycase just a sandton crawler
    lol
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

Probably better looking than my great uncle,
    though, he after he trained to be a clergyman,
    instead of getting ordained, apprenticed himself
    to a blacksmith, and, then, firstly became a real
    black smith, then when it was still unheard off,
    studied to become an engineer.

He then started a number of factories, each
    employing hundreds of workers, bring new
    industries to the then new, old South Africa.

It ain't no working toy

It ain't no working toy
    If you followed any of the UK Defender groups, there are many owners using them on farms, car dealers delivering vehicles to customers on trailers, towing small yachts etc.

Amazing how so many have so limited knowledge of what is actually going on but venture an opinion of a vehicle and its capabilities without actually knowing much about it.
    Bruce Hunter

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Its obvious what Prof meant as a working toy.

If you suggest the new defender is a working vehicle , then so is every vehicle in Land Rovers lineup .

Just because a car can tow a boat or drive on a gavel road doesn't mean it is a working vehicle in regards to the defender heritage. This also goes with 4x4 just because a car can 4x4 doesn't make it a working vehicle.
    1996 300tdi Defender 110
    2017 2.4gd6 Hilux 4x4 DC Manual

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Niela For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    If you followed any of the UK Defender groups, there are many owners using them on farms, car dealers delivering vehicles to customers on trailers, towing small yachts etc.

Amazing how so many have so limited knowledge of what is actually going on but venture an opinion of a vehicle and its capabilities without actually knowing much about it.
    I have a somewhat long reply to this....

An example....my wife had to repair a lead glass window this past week. The guy made the door (2100mm high) and it fell over on job, breaking panels in window. They brought the panel in the bakkie. It was also too tight in the rebate. She did repair and said on collection bring door to make sure all fits ok in rebate.
    Oops...door does not fit in bakkie...it's a double cab. They have four kids that also have to be carted around. I get that, but it ain't a working vehicle. Incidentally it is a Toyota....

Yep, they use them on farms, but do they load them with a ton of fertilizer?...methinks that, that is delivered, especially on large farm whose owner could possibly afford a premium vehicle. Or has another 'working' vehicle....
    Towing....well there are many other vehicles that are capable of doing that as well.

The lass doing iron-mongery in the add might have fit for purpose vehicle in the add (it is only an add) but it still ain't a working vehicle.

Then I am gonna touch on this thing about 'others' commenting on LR's. This has been a bugbear on this forum since I joined in 2013. The leaking oil thingy is one of them...
    This current thread comes to mind (sorry guys, no foul intended) https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...rd-replacement

The amount of oil mess behind the manifolds Not happy about that ?
    Mine is also very messy there. So was my previous engine, but not as much. Would love to know where it comes from.
    Hey what can I say....LR jokes must have a basis...

I might not be able to own a Rmillion plus LR, but I may still have an opinion....at no time since 2013 have I said anything degrading about a LR. I do really enjoy your feedbacks on the vehicle you own.

But I have to wonder if @Fatbike had a point to make you change your signature to what it is now
    Robert van den Berg...(fully vaccinated with two Pfizer jabs & certified)

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty' (jabbed with 50ppm)
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully' (jabbed with 50ppm)

Yoh
    Regards,

William

4x4 'Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    “I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.”

18. The Following User Says Thank You to willben For This Useful Post:

I have a somewhat long reply to this....

An example....my wife had to repair a lead glass window this past week. The guy made the door (2100mm high) and it fell over on job, breaking panels in window. They brought the panel in the bakkie. It was also too tight in the rebate. She did repair and said on collection bring door to make sure all fits ok in rebate.
    Oops...door does not fit in bakkie...it's a double cab. They have four kids that also have to be carted around. I get that, but it ain't a working vehicle. Incidentally it is a Toyota....

Yep, they use them on farms, but do they load them with a ton of fertilizer?...methinks that, that is delivered, especially on large farm whose owner could possibly afford a premium vehicle. Or has another 'working' vehicle....
    Towing....well there are many other vehicles that are capable of doing that as well.

The lass doing iron-mongery in the add might have fit for purpose vehicle in the add (it is only an add) but it still ain't a working vehicle.

Then I am gonna touch on this thing about 'others' commenting on LR's. This has been a bugbear on this forum since I joined in 2013. The leaking oil thingy is one of them...
    This current thread comes to mind (sorry guys, no foul intended) https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...rd-replacement

Hey what can I say....LR jokes must have a basis...

I might not be able to own a Rmillion plus LR, but I may still have an opinion....at no time since 2013 have I said anything degrading about a LR. I do really enjoy your feedbacks on the vehicle you own.

But I have to wonder if @Fatbike had a point to make you change your signature to what it is now
    You still don’t get it and neither does Niela. For your info Niela, a RR velar or similar are not in the same working class as a ND.

They are being used as workhorses but I don’t need to elaborate as I see on these FB groups what the guys are using them for. Many are ordered as commercial spec for this reason. Do some homework before making sweeping statements but I do understand your point as most won’t be ‘working’ vehicles.

Secondly, Et tu Brute! fatbike did not make me change my signature. I noticed in many instances where a signature points to a certain bias. In my case my FJ and Defender…not to mention my BL���� Essentially he said that your signature should limit your opinions. No offence but this is just narrow minded. Opinions should at least be based on some type of firsthand experience.

I do a ‘Defender’ load of research on anything I decide to maybe purchase. I like to think I make informed decisions and so far so good apart from a dodgy hilux and Colt bakkie a few moons ago.

I should maybe have posted some pics of my Defender with seats folded flat transporting 180 bags of topsoil last Friday or a recent trip with scuba gear and 16 steel cylinders. I have no doubt the ND can handle a lot of abuse. Wear and tear will show like any other vehicle though. Any FJ owner will tell you how easily the plastics on the rear seat backs and floor scratch. The ND will as well but not as badly except for the steel floor in the boot unless you throw tools etc. around.

People really need to open their minds a bit and get over preconceived ideas etc.

I have taken a few shots already from the usual boneheaded appliance drivers until I inform them what my other car is. The bias is so bad in some cases that I just have to laugh knowing that these are in the same IQ pool as antivaxxers ����
    Last edited by BruceHun; 2021/09/06 at 09:58 PM.
    Bruce Hunter

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Hey what can I say....LR jokes must have a
    Show me a 20 year old vehicle with high mileage that does not have some oil sweat, seepage or leak somewhere.
    Bruce Hunter

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Ultimately ... respect is earned....

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tsaals For This Useful Post:

Love this pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bruce Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Love this pic
    Eina - never liked him and his opinions - some quite warped if I may say!

I would not buy any LR product, but the New Defender is very good looking!

Bostoe

I know that people hate ASPW, but on one of his early reviews of the defender he commented on the tow rating 3500kgs from memory, and also the payload. I think it was in the region of 1000kgs. A typical SUV would have a payload of around 450-600Kgs.

These two things are quite significant in terms of the ND as a work vehicle. I still think it is more of a glorified D5, but I believe they have now started selling the commercial versions in the UK which are a lot more stripped down and often have steel panels on the rear where there are windows. That in a 240D may well be a commercial proposition for some?

I think much like the new V6 Land Cruiser, we should all celebrate the tech and appreciate that in some time second hand owners may be able to get into some of these vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    but I believe they have now started selling the commercial versions in the UK which are a lot more stripped down and often have steel panels on the rear where there are windows. That in a 240D may well be a commercial proposition for some?
    I really don't see any business using a vehicle at that price point as a van. You'd need to have a very tiny niche requirement.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast