Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Developments at Matusadona National Park

Thanks Mike, the august report is a highly entertaining read, ranging from generel construction reports, road works, radio towers and repeaters being brought in and conected, zebras travelling on ferries, elephants wanderering outside the park, gold panners brought to court, school group educational tours and chili brick building! Really great how African Parks shares their news.
    "make a plan to break a plan"

After following this thread for a while took leap and headed across to the Matusadona for a week
    really good trip. Very positive feedback from those we spoke to about the developments there over this past year with African parks
    It is well worth a visit

Have attached a quick report on the trip

Andy
    Attached Files Attached Files

3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ANDY AND CAL For This Useful Post:

Thanks Andy, these updates on old favorites are invaluable.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Thanks Andy for your report. I am pleased to hear the ferry is working well. I think Matusadona will start gaining popularity now there is effort been put into the place and Rhino Safari camp is great.
    The more we talk about what is wrong, the less we see what is right in this world.

Well done! I enjoyed your trip report. Matasudona used to be a great park with many fond memories. Need to go back sooner than later.

As a point of interest what did the ferry cost?

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Well done! I enjoyed your trip report. Matasudona used to be a great park with many fond memories. Need to go back sooner than later.

Hi Tron
    Herewith Info Sonya McMaster of Ferry Service
    Trip Costs per ferry – we don’t charge for individual vehicles.

Kariba town to Changa return – U$450 per trip
    Kariba town to Tashinga return – U$900 per trip

Price EXCLUDES all National Parks lake usage fees and VAT.

We do not provide any meals or beverages.

Maximum number of vehicles on the vessel – 4 (bakkie size) (or 2 vehicles with trailers)

Weight restrictions per vehicle – normal light 4x4 vehicles – no restrictions

Frequency of trips – Totally dependent on demand, no set dates of travel.

Travel time – Kariba to Changa – approximately 3½ hours (depending on weather/lake conditions) – one way
    Kariba to Tashinga – approximately 6 hours (depending on weather/lake conditions) – one way

Nearest accommodation day before trip – Kariba town – Lomagundi Lakeside have a camp site and self-catering lodges with a pub & restaurant, or Warthogs Bush Camp have similar.

Vehicle Insurance requirements – all vehicles to be fully covered by vehicle owner – we are covered for the vessel and passengers only.

Please note, the ferry has a very basic ablution for passengers and a top deck for seating, again very basic (own chairs).

I can send you contact details if you need.
    The more we talk about what is wrong, the less we see what is right in this world.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

Great report Andy, sounds like you had a fantastic time. Linda and I really look forward to returning to Africa, hopefully May 2022, and spending time in the bush with you and Cal
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/10/06 at 01:31 PM.
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Ratel" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

It was 450 as quoted. You need to be a bit flexible to try and tie in with other deliveries for the ferry. But unlike the old kariba to mlibizi ferry you can agree and book a date in advance which is a huge plus for planning

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Great report Andy, sounds like you had a fantastic time. Linda and I really look forward to returning to Africa, hopefully May 2022, and spending time in the bush with you and Cal
    Look forward to this John.. let's avoid sandy rivers though!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ANDY AND CAL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Thanks Andy for your report. I am pleased to hear the ferry is working well. I think Matusadona will start gaining popularity now there is effort been put into the place and Rhino Safari camp is great.
    Mike we would not have considered the trip before your posts .Thank you.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ANDY AND CAL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Hi Tron
    Herewith Info Sonya McMaster of Ferry Service
    Trip Costs per ferry – we don’t charge for individual vehicles.

Kariba town to Changa return – U$450 per trip
    Kariba town to Tashinga return – U$900 per trip

Price EXCLUDES all National Parks lake usage fees and VAT.

We do not provide any meals or beverages.

Maximum number of vehicles on the vessel – 4 (bakkie size) (or 2 vehicles with trailers)

Weight restrictions per vehicle – normal light 4x4 vehicles – no restrictions

Frequency of trips – Totally dependent on demand, no set dates of travel.

Travel time – Kariba to Changa – approximately 3½ hours (depending on weather/lake conditions) – one way
    Kariba to Tashinga – approximately 6 hours (depending on weather/lake conditions) – one way

Nearest accommodation day before trip – Kariba town – Lomagundi Lakeside have a camp site and self-catering lodges with a pub & restaurant, or Warthogs Bush Camp have similar.

Vehicle Insurance requirements – all vehicles to be fully covered by vehicle owner – we are covered for the vessel and passengers only.

Please note, the ferry has a very basic ablution for passengers and a top deck for seating, again very basic (own chairs).

I can send you contact details if you need.
    Yes please Mike and thanx so much.

Yes please Mike and thanx so much.
    Hi Tron

Dave MacMaster of Chawara Harbour is developing the Ferry Service apparently the Ferry can take 4 vehicles or 2 vehicles and 2 trailers.

I suggest you get hold of Sonya MacMaster on E-mail: [email protected] or Dave on Mobile Number +263 772 874353 (calls and messages only, he doesn't do Whatsapp).

This service has already been used and i note that Rhino Safari Camp in Matusadona are also using the services to bring clients from Chawara Harbour near Kariba.

It would be a nice plan to drive down the escarpment to Tashinga from Chizarira. Spend a few days exploring the Matusadona wilderness and then getting the ferry to Kariba. This can all be prearranged re times and it would mean no arduous trip back up the escarpment.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2