Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Sunsynk guru/help needed

Hi,

I'm looking for someone with experience on Sunsynk inverters. I have a few questions which my installer cannot answer so need to turn elsewhere.

Im in JHB if that matters.
    Jaco
    Life's a journey, enjoy the ride.

Default Re: Sunsynk guru/help needed

The guys on powerforum are very knowledgeable and there is quite a few threads about synsunk inverters..
    Wouter

Me:2018 Toy Fortuner 2.8 auto 4x4
    Swambo: 2017 Audi Q3 aka cutie
    Echo 2 in tow

3. The Following User Says Thank You to propofol For This Useful Post:

What questions do you have? I am not an installer or an expert but I do have sunsynk inverters and did quite a bit of research on them when they were installed.

Ask away on this forum. Your experience and the solution could help many others in the future.
    Riaan

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 GX-R
    2019 Toyota Hilux Extracab 2.8GD6 4x4
    2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4 (B1244)

Powerforum has a lot of knowledgeable people, including installers. Read through the sunsynk threads and see if they answer your questions. Otherwise ask. But I'm sure some guys here will also be able to help. I have the 8kW unit and am happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jice View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking for someone with experience on Sunsynk inverters. I have a few questions which my installer cannot answer so need to turn elsewhere.

You might just get some answers here as quite a numbers of guys have got them installed and some have done their homework.

Also look in the manual as the Synsunk must have one of the best manuals around.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2021/08/15 at 08:49 PM.

Hi,

which one do you have 5kw or 8kw?

as mentioned there is quite a bit of knowledge on these as many people are using them

you can even ask on the sunsynk forum as well and may get a response from Keith Gough
    Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4; Stofpad Bashplate; LR tank; Racor

Thanks guys.

So let me start at the beginning.

I bought a 5Kw unit, about a week after the installation the screen on the unit stopped working.
    After allot of back and forth they installed a "loan unit" for me while my current unit is being repaired.

On the same time I enquired that I would like to have my one air-con also connected to the inverter side as in the afternoons I have excess solar going to waste which might as well be used by the air-con.
    The tech advised that it's not necessary to move the air-con to inverter side because if there is excess solar the inverter will supply the "non critical" loads with the excess solar.
    It was then mentioned that it's not happening that way as explained. So he then noticed that the comms cable (the black and white cables) were not correctly cabled up.

After the fix a test was done and the air-con was pulling power from the inverter and I was happy.
    That evening I noticed that suddenly my geysers is pulling battery power. I enquired the next day and I was told the tech moved everything onto inverter because he thought the system could handle it.
    I said the system can handle it but what is the use of batteries for the evening when they geysers would just deplete them within hours.

So I started playing around, switching off the geysers when they are hot in the morning and by afternoon my batteries is fully charged as well but if for some reason I need to switch on the geyser at night it draws 3.5KwH average from the batteries which is not ideal. The geysers stay off when I drop the main switch on the house DB board though.

Does the above sound correct? Perhaps there is a setting I can enable for the geysers not to pull battery power when I need to switch them on? I did play around with the times and SOC/V on the discharge time page but as soon as I set SOC/V to 99% I don't see any watts being pulled from grid so I cannot say if the geysers turn on or not.

I also had a second battery installed, so I have 2 x 5.1KwH batteries but since the second one was installed the app on the phone does not show how much power is left in the batteries, when I had one battery it still showed.
    Jaco

Jeepers, you would expect better from an installer.

Your non-essential load can be supplied by excess PV production, but the CT coil must be installed correctly. This will prevent feedback into the grid, but allow the non-essentials to use the surplus.

When the grid is down, these loads will not be powered. I was down for a week a couple weeks back - I had excess solar but couldn't use it. My installer suggested installing a changeover switch, which will allow you to switch the geyser between the essential and non-essential supply.

I would get it changed back, that the geyser and aircon are on the non-essential side. They stuffed up, they shouldn't charge you for changing it back.

Another option is to use the aux port, but I would do a lot of reading on powerforum before going that route, guys have battled.

Also, consider getting a geyser timer (simple timer or geyserwise type of solution). Set the geyser to work in the day when you have pv available. (assuming that you don't feed back into the grid).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craigm For This Useful Post:

Regarding the battery, just check if one is selected as master and the other slave. And make sure the comms cable is plugged in.
    What batteries do you have?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craigm For This Useful Post:

Bump for later.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

So seems like the geysers and stove and air-con is on the non essentials side still as when I switch off the mains at the DB board, simulating a grid power failure, the air-con, geysers and stove does not work.
    Still mind boggling how it uses battery power when the AC connection is there.
    The way I understand it is if it was on critical loads and using battery power then it should still work when I switch off the mains, AC power. Or am I not correct in thinking so?

I have 2 x 5.1KwH BSLBATT batteries.

Where would I check the master/slave config? Is that on the inverter or those dip switches on the batteries?
    Jaco

Can you post a picture of the system mode screen (timer with SOC) and the system flow chart screen.

I'm not familiar with those batteries, but it should be on the battery itself.

That is the system mode screen currentlyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	JPEG_20210818_122349_4908280476916539767.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	626655
    dip switch on second battery. First battery no 1 dip is on, rest off
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPEG_20210818_122532_276581100288885698.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	626656
    Flow chart currentlyAttachment 626658
    The geysers, stove and aircon wattage will show above the house. This pic i turned on AC and one geyser
    Attachment 626659
    Last edited by jice; 2021/08/18 at 12:33 PM.
    Jaco

From my understanding, the inverter will power from any of the 3 sources depending on its settings.

1) Grid Power
    2) Solar Power
    3) Battery Power

You can set it to prefer power in order. Normally, 2 then 3 then 1. As Grid power is the one you pay for, so should be consumed last. It's only in RSA that we need reserve battery for load shedding.

The essential vs non-essentials is only there if the Grid goes down. If no grid, the non-essentials will not power on, which you say seems to be working.

I think you need to set the battery into "emergency only" or something similar in order to prioritise Grid over battery. I know on some of the systems you can set it to a percentage. EG 75% and then switch to grid.

What you really want to do is try make the geyser not run at night at all, so then you will need a geyser timer or smart switch.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

It seems that the geyser was moved and not the aircon. Yes the installer might just say he moved it all as the system an handle it. This is not what you requested so get him back.
    No you cannot move things with settings AFAIK.
    I would only use the geyser on the AUX in order to have it working from solar if you have a long power failure. If left on non essential it will not be able to use PV during LS or power failures.
    From a novice and not as requested.

That is the system mode screen currentlyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	JPEG_20210818_122349_4908280476916539767.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	626655
    dip switch on second battery. First battery no 1 dip is on, rest off
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPEG_20210818_122532_276581100288885698.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	626656
    Flow chart currentlyAttachment 626658
    The geysers, stove and aircon wattage will show above the house. This pic i turned on AC and one geyser
    Attachment 626659
    Your second two pics aren't displaying.

Give these settings a try (tick priority load). A buddy of mine is running his 5kW using these settings, which I helped him tweak (I would actually still tweak it a bit more, but its working for him). If this doesn't work, I would investigate the wiring.

Also consider changing your battery settings - your current settings will land you in the dark if you don't have a full battery when the sun goes down and you get hit with an outage.

Edit: The settings I proposed won't influence your problem. I concur with ekkekan - wiring issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Craigm; 2021/08/18 at 01:19 PM.

As per your post #12. Those loads that were so called moved to essential was not moved as they will still work with grid off.
    Get the guy back to sort out.

Attachments cannot be viewed.

No the loads that was "moved" does not work when the grid is off.

So if they move it back to how it was in the first place then the excess solar will not be used by the aircon, geyser or stove.

Is it able to work like that? I don't know.
    Jaco

No the loads that was "moved" does not work when the grid is off.

So if they move it back to how it was in the first place then the excess solar will not be used by the aircon, geyser or stove.

Is it able to work like that? I don't know.
    If the wiring is correct and the CT coil is connected correctly, the non-essential load can still be powered by the excess PV (when the grid is available).
    My friends system works like that (settings posted previously). He has a prepaid meter and cannot feed back, but runs his non-essentials off excess pv (blended with grid, dependent on PV availability). However, at night those loads use the grid (if required).
    It's a bloody good inverter when setup correctly. Your issue here doesn't sound like the machine, but rather the installer/installation.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast