Default Kenya entrance by road

Hello Everybody

I need some advice please. I am driving up to Chipata, Zambia but also need to visit Kenya. So I thought why not just continue driving. Question is with regards to Covid, documents and land borders.

Are travelers allowed in at present?
    So I will be driving through Tanzania.
    What documents will I need for the vehicle? 3rd party insurance? For TAnzania and Kenya
    Covid test results not older than....? Where can I do tests in Tazania and Kenya?
    Are the land borders open?

This will be my first time to Kenya. It is not a visit for leisure but I might just do some sight seeing along the way. Any advice, warnings for traveling through Kenya?

Thank you for your help

Default Re: Kenya entrance by road

I hope you're not using the Defender.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Why
    Robert van den Berg...(fully vaccinated with two Pfizer jabs & certified)

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty' (jabbed with 50ppm)
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully' (jabbed with 50ppm)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Why
    They don't have Super Select.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by Kudus View Post
    Hello Everybody

I need some advice please. I am driving up to Chipata, Zambia but also need to visit Kenya. So I thought why not just continue driving. Question is with regards to Covid, documents and land borders.

What documents will I need for the vehicle? 3rd party insurance? For TAnzania and Kenya
    Covid test results not older than....? Where can I do tests in Tazania and Kenya?

This will be my first time to Kenya. It is not a visit for leisure but I might just do some sight seeing along the way. Any advice, warnings for traveling through Kenya?

Thank you for your help
    I have been researching the same. With the major caveat that nothing that is true today can be guaranteed tomorrow, as covid rules change frequently and without notice, here is what I have discovered:
    -Yes, travelers are allowed into Tanzania and Kenya
    -You'll need 3rd party insurance. If you buy 3rd party insurance in Zambia it's easiest to buy COMESA from that insurer and then you don't need to hunt around for 3rd party further north. You can buy this from Nico or Phoeneix insurance in Livingstone, there may be others, but those for sure sell COMESA. Your COMESA coverage must come from the same place you bought 3rd party, no mixing and matching of companies.
    -Usual documents needed for the vehicle, registration, insurance, letter from the bank and/or owner if you're not the owner or the vehicle is still financed
    -Tests required at all border crossings, I believe covid test results are no older than 72 hours. Recently the Kasesya borderpost was closed, but the main Zam/Tanzania post at Tunduma was open. Reportedly tests are available at/near the border. Join the Overland Africa FB group to get the latest, they have a WhatsApp group running for people on the road with up to date info.
    -I don't know which Kenya/Tanzania borders are open or closed, but I have read of plenty of travelers crossing.
    -The big issue you'll need to consider is a carnet for Kenya. You used to be able to enter on a renewable 14 day TIP, but more and more people are getting turned away without a carnet. You can read the latest rules from KRA here: https://kra.go.ke/en/media-center/pu...ehicle-permits, but note that even though that rule has a narrow allowance for entrance on a TIP, it seems most people are getting turned away, that there was some sort of internal memo to customs personnel to require carnets from non East Africa vehicles due to a high number of illegally imported vehicles, particularly from SA.
    Last edited by CalDriver; 2021/08/13 at 12:46 AM. Reason: fix typo
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kudus View Post
    Hello Everybody

Thank you for your help
    It is a long old way from Chipata, Zambia to Nairobi, Kenya. Good luck.

I will only tell you what I know and/or have found out through the internet about entry to Kenya.

But as Caldriver said, things can change with a few hours notice. The TZ-Kenya border is open, but I’m not sure that all the border posts are open. Namanga is open as of today’s date.

A COVID PCR negative test is required. This must be done within 96 hours of arrival in Kenya. You will be able to find somewhere to have a PCR test in Arusha. I copy and paste what I have found on the internet.

All travellers arriving in Kenya must complete a COVID-19 Travellers Health Surveillance Form before their arrival, even if only transiting. The online registration form can be found on the “Jitenge” platform, accessible via the following link or the “Jitenge” App (available on the Google Play Store). After submitting the form, travellers will receive a QR code which must be presented to port health officials for them to be allowed to proceed to arrival immigration. Arrivals will then be expected to self-monitor and report daily to the same platform for their first 14 days in Kenya.

All negative COVID-19 test results must prove that they have been taken no more than 96 hours before travel to Kenya and be verified digitally through the Trusted Travel Initiative.
    If you travel to Kenya you will also need to complete a COVID-19 Travellers Health Surveillance Form.

Visas

You need a visa to enter Kenya. Kenyan entry visas are exclusively issued electronically, with passengers required to obtain their e-visas before departure. You can apply for single entry and transit visas on the e-visas website

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Very funny Jelo. I actually have the disco 1 300tdi. I am hopeful yes!! Why wouldn’t you 😅

Thank you all for the info. It helps a lot