Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bent the side step on the Tuna

Hi Peeps,

So I went out to Sable Ranch for some 4x4 fun as its not very technical and can provide a learner like myself with the required prep skills for off road driving. In the river crossing there was a large rock under the water with a hole in the front of it, which I obviously could not see. On the way down which was a slide rather then a down roll, the vehicle came down hard on the rock and bent the right side, side step upwards probably a few mm but its noticeable. Any recommendations on straightening it?

Thanks

PS. Had loads of fun though.

Default Bent the side step on the Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Hi Peeps,

So I went out to Sable Ranch for some 4x4 fun as its not very technical and can provide a learner like myself with the required prep skills for off road driving. In the river crossing there was a large rock under the water with a hole in the front of it, which I obviously could not see. On the way down which was a slide rather then a down roll, the vehicle came down hard on the rock and bent the right side, side step upwards probably a few mm but its noticeable. Any recommendations on straightening it?

Thanks

Have you considered maybe rocksliders? It will assist in future incidents like this if you attend on doing this more often.

Also, it helps with when people parking next to you to prevent dings. Lastly, it looks pretty cool.
    Last edited by Rebel 4x4; 2021/08/10 at 09:46 AM.
    Sent from my iPhone

Default Re: Bent the side step on the Tuna

Hi Peeps,

Thanks

You get a set of rocks sliders from Stofpad

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

083 399 2046

Thanks, Yes, def looking at replacing with rock sliders. Just need to confirm if it affects warranty as I will def be doing this more and more.

replace with rock sliders and do not worry about warranty.

remember,damage on side step and sill on 4x4 trail is not covered with warranty in any case.

don't compromise,stofpad-ise.

Thanks, Yes, def looking at replacing with rock sliders. Just need to confirm if it affects warranty as I will def be doing this more and more.
    Warranty? On side steps? Using the vehicle as designed? I rather think Toyota would be stepping into legal problems trying to prove that.........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    You get a set of rocks sliders from Stofpad

Yessss, specially for a once off incident.

Can I also suggest a safety belt for your camping chair

Oh dear, side step bent a few mm - but visible - yeah it could also happen in the Sandton parking lot.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Yessss, specially for a once off incident.

Can I also suggest a safety belt for your camping chair

Oh dear, side step bent a few mm - but visible - yeah it could also happen in the Sandton parking lot.
    One would assume that someone who bought a 4x4 vehicle and that then joins a 4x4 forum is planning to use the vehicle in terrain where the standard side steps will forever be a hindrance. The standard side steps offers no protection and are always the first thing to get damaged before the nudge bar.

I am by no means an experienced 4x4'er, have done a few trails, level 2-3 and have damaged the sidesteps on my Fortuner, its not bothering me too much.

Honest question re side steps, have read or seen on some trails that it is recommended to remove side steps, does that not expose the door sills to damage that is more serious and expensive to fix. I'll rather take a ding on the side steps. What am I missing?
    Gert v Vuuren
    2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D
    Wildebeest Offroad Trailer
    2009 VW Polo (Swambo)

You're not missing anything
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Tentpen View Post
    Honest question re side steps, have read or seen on some trails that it is recommended to remove side steps, does that not expose the door sills to damage that is more serious and expensive to fix. I'll rather take a ding on the side steps. What am I missing?
    The argument is valid up to the point where the sidestep fails.
    Rather regard the sidestep as an early warning device , if it touches or starts to crunch stop and change your line.
    The sidesteps on my FJ were so soft I straightened them out by hand, give it a try.
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser
    Website https://www.gama4x4trails.com/home
    Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/JorsMalan

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    One would assume that someone who bought a 4x4 vehicle and that then joins a 4x4 forum is planning to use the vehicle in terrain where the standard side steps will forever be a hindrance. The standard side steps offers no protection and are always the first thing to get damaged before the nudge bar.
    I bought a 4x4 for added assurance I will return home after a day's work. I do not want to modify my car to create the impression that I am part of group of people using every excuse to venture into places where my car will inevitably get damaged. I joined the forum to learn from others and, where possible, share my experience and/or knowledge.

I have also enrolled for a 4x4 course to learn some more, and also bottomed on both side steps. Barely noticeable, but I would also like to know if it would be possible to bend them straight again. Seems like this forum is not the place to ask for such information.
    Pieter
    ------
    2018 Fortuner 2.8 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by BarOne View Post
    I bought a 4x4 for added assurance I will return home after a day's work. I do not want to modify my car to create the impression that I am part of group of people using every excuse to venture into places where my car will inevitably get damaged. I joined the forum to learn from others and, where possible, share my experience and/or knowledge.

I have also enrolled for a 4x4 course to learn some more, and also bottomed on both side steps. Barely noticeable, but I would also like to know if it would be possible to bend them straight again. Seems like this forum is not the place to ask for such information.
    My wife and son took her Fortuna to a 4x4 course on the first week she had it. My son, never scared to attempt things, knackered the side step.

I applied my, not inconsiderable bulk several times to the step and it did straighten out a fair bit, but not completely.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Seems like this forum is not the place to ask for such information.
    It does seem like you regard the advice given here as bad advice.

I think most sidesteps get bent straight by the owner , or if its not bad , left like that.
    Last edited by Bex; 2021/08/11 at 09:58 PM.
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser
    Website https://www.gama4x4trails.com/home
    Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/JorsMalan

With enough force anything can bend
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

I bent the side step on my last outing, I just stood on it and did small jumps until it straightened out. Took about 3 small jumps. Just have a "spotter" behind you so you don't take it too far.
    Regards,

William

4x4 'Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.

My old bakkies side steps bent badly doing Kungwini and I had to jump on them to straighten them out, once you do rock climbs etc they will hinder you badly and replaced mine with a custom made set that basically just sat higher on the body, never had one issue after that. My new bakkie has the exact steps and they will need replacing as once again they are a nuisance offroad, I personally find they badly designed especially for a 4x4 vehicle.
    Henk Stols

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    It does seem like you regard the advice given here as bad advice.

I think most sidesteps get bent straight by the owner , or if its not bad , left like that.
    I do not regard the advice as bad advice. My remark was on the irrelevant advice. The original post asked for suggestions to straighten the side steps, and four suggestions were to fit rock sliders. And a suggestion that when buying a 4x4 and joining this forum, you should have replaced the side steps with rock sliders before taking ownership. If I wanted to make sure everybody sees I am an off-road person, I would have bought one of those Nissan bakkies that says Off-Road on the sides.

But thank you, I will ask one of my bulkier colleagues to apply some treatment to the barely noticeable deformed sidesteps. And if he was too effective, I'll find an obstacle to lift it a bit again!
    Pieter
    ------
    2018 Fortuner 2.8 4x4

OK, here is what I do. You place something solid under the area you want to bend back say 30mm lower than the sidestep. Then you (I am around 100kg) jump on it and the solid bricks or whatever ensure that it does not overbend. I needed another person to jump with me to finally get it straight again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast