Default Southern Namibia Road Trip Highlights

Namibia Overland Road Trip to Fish River Canyon, Kolmanskop, Elizabeth Bay, Sossusvlei, Orange River

We recently visited Southern Namibia on a 10 day overland road trip. Visiting the Fish River Canyon, Luderitz and the diamond mining ghost towns of Kolmanskop and Elizabeth Bay. From there we turned north to Sossusvlei, an incredible and special place where the Tsauchab River finds it's way to the ocean blocked by the desert sands.

We were privileged to experience water in Sossusvlei, a rare event that only occurs very occasionally after exceptionally good rains in the catchment area. Deadvlei, with it's ancient, 800 year old petrified (actually plain old “dead”), camel thorn trees is another special place.

Time was limited so from Sossusvlei we turned back south towards the Orange River where we crossed back into South Africa after an awesome, mostly gravel roads adventure. This video includes the highlights, in the next few weeks I'll be publishing more detailed videos of each place, I do hope that some might find some useful information within. I'm happy to answer any questions while it's fresh in my mind.

Last edited by kangelachris; 2021/08/08 at 02:11 PM.
    Kangela Chris
    www.kangelalife.com
    Kangela:"To look at with curious eyes"

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kangelachris For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Southern Namibia Road Trip Highlights

Quote Originally Posted by kangelachris View Post
    Namibia Overland Road Trip to Fish River Canyon, Kolmanskop, Elizabeth Bay, Sossusvlei, Orange River

We recently visited Southern Namibia on a 10 day overland road trip. Visiting the Fish River Canyon, Luderitz and the diamond mining ghost towns of Kolmanskop and Elizabeth Bay. From there we turned north to Sossusvlei, an incredible and special place where the Tsauchab River finds it's way to the ocean blocked by the desert sands.

We were privileged to experience water in Sossusvlei, a rare event that only occurs very occasionally after exceptionally good rains in the catchment area. Deadvlei, with it's ancient, 800 year old petrified camel thorn trees is another special place.

Time was limited so from Sossusvlei we turned back south towards the Orange River where we crossed back into South Africa after an awesome, mostly gravel roads adventure. This video includes the highlights, in the next few weeks I'll be publishing more detailed videos of each place, I do hope that some might find some useful information within. I'm happy to answer any questions while it's fresh in my mind.

Sure those camelthorn trees in Deadvlei are petrified?
    2007 Volvo S60
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Give him some slack , Hugo.😂.
    Nice video Chris. We are aching to go back, all the way there past Hugo as well. Damn virus!
    Drik Hoskin

Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4
    RAV4 VX
    Armadillo Shack caravan
    Silverback Sesta Comp 29er

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Apparently they are just plain old dead trees according to Wikipedia ďThough not petrified, the wood does not decompose because it is so dry.Ē

My bad, sadly itís not possible to go back and reshoot the video with the correct words at this stage.
    Kangela Chris
    www.kangelalife.com

Very nice videos anyway, thank you.
    2007 Volvo S60
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Thanks Chris, thoroughly enjoyed this, brought back memories of our trip through Namibia in October 2019 (see trip report in our signature below). Thanks for posting.
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Kamba 2" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Thanks Chris, thoroughly enjoyed this, brought back memories of our trip through Namibia in October 2019 (see trip report in our signature below). Thanks for posting.
    Thanks for the feedback, Iím glad you enjoyed the video.
    Kangela Chris
    www.kangelalife.com

Hi Chris,

Thanks for this epic video, I enjoyed it and the others on your Youtube channel and they have me salivating for my upcoming trip to Nam departing Cape Town 12th September. I did South and Central Nam in 2013 and have been itching to return since. Itinerary below, 1 vehicle just myself and the wifey in RTT:

1. Cape Town to Aus (1 night @ Klein Aus Vista campsite)
    2. Aus to Siesriem (2 nights @ Sossus Oasis campsite, 1 night @ Desert Hills Lodge)
    3. Sesriem to Swakopmund (1 night @ Alte Brucke resort campsite)
    4. Swakopmund to Spitzkoppe (1 night @ Spitzkoppe campsite)
    5. Spitzkoppe to Palmwag (1 night @ Palmwag campsite)
    6. Palmwag to Dolomite Camp Etosha (2 nights @ Dolomite Camp)
    7. Dolomite Camp to Okaukuejo Camp (3 nights @ Okaukoejo Camp)
    8. Okaukuejo to (we'll wind our way back down south probably passing through Windhoek for a dose of civilisation)

I have a few questions I hope you could answer please;

• What was your experience of the "you know what" situation in Nam?
    • Could you confirm the border requirements departing and returning to ZA please?
    • Do you think the situation would be a damper on any of the itinerary items?
    • Are you using a GoPro for these vids?
    • Any other call-outs or tips you might have?

Thanks,
    Roscoe

Quote Originally Posted by roscoeZA View Post
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for this epic video, I enjoyed it and the others on your Youtube channel and they have me salivating for my upcoming trip to Nam departing Cape Town 12th September. I did South and Central Nam in 2013 and have been itching to return since. Itinerary below, 1 vehicle just myself and the wifey in RTT:

I have a few questions I hope you could answer please;

• What was your experience of the "you know what" situation in Nam?
    • Could you confirm the border requirements departing and returning to ZA please?
    • Do you think the situation would be a damper on any of the itinerary items?
    • Are you using a GoPro for these vids?
    • Any other call-outs or tips you might have?

Thanks,
    Roscoe
    Hi Roscoe

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm not jealous at all of your upcoming trip

As far as the Covid restrictions go, they change all the time, but when we left they had eased up, mostly it's pretty similar to SA. Namibians are quite law abiding for the most part and follow the rules, like mask wearing, although in the more rural parts, folk seem to be less stressed about such things. I don't think the restrictions that are in place would put any dampener on your trip, it will be awesome as Namibia always is. When we arrived, restaurants could only sell takeaways, but that changed while we were there and as far as I know they are all now fully open for business.

Border crossings are no problem, going into Namibia you need a PCR test not older than 72 hours, coming back to SA you can do a quick test at the border (R300). I didn't find that they required a detailed itinerary, I just gave the name of our furthest one on the immigration form and that was fine. I was also not asked for vehicle ownership documents, but it's a good idea to have them anyway. Namibia really wants tourists, so they don't put unnecessary obstacles in the way.

I use a combination of GoPro and a Canon SLR camera for my video, for these kinds of video with lot's of "on the road" footage, the GoPro is my goto camera.

Other stuff: your itinerary sounds awesome, if I had a reservation it would be driving from Cape Town to Aus in a day. It can be done, (I've driven from Sossusvlei to Cape Town in a day once, but was broken afterwards). Although your route is all tar, it's quite a long day, you might want to consider breaking the journey by stopping over at either Felix Unite Provenance Camp or Amanzi, on the Orange River at Noordoever. You could then take the route along the river, through Rosh Pinah and up to Aus, a bit more interesting than the main B1/B4 route. I'd also recommend filling up with fuel whenever you get the opportunity, or carrying some spare, it's not always available in the more remote spots. Even the less remote ones sometimes run out, they didn't have fuel at Ais Ais, so we had to fill up at Canon Roadhouse. I would have been in trouble had they also not had any

Enjoy your trip, sounds as though it will be an epic one.
    Last edited by kangelachris; 2021/09/05 at 08:08 AM.
    Kangela Chris
    www.kangelalife.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kangelachris For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the advice Chris, appreciate it! The only thing standing between us and the border is that negative PCR test on Friday. It really adds another layer of anxiety and excitement to the trip.

I think I need to pick up a GoPro this week, which model do you have and where did you get the accessories to attach it to your vehicle?

Yeah, I appreciate the concern about the first stretch to Aus. The plan is to leave early morning and take it slow, arriving mid afternoon. This will likely be the longest stretch of the trip and it will allow the rest of the trip to be fairly laidback. I've done Luderitz to Cape Town in 2013, Sossus to CT is crazy .

On fuel, I have a LR 165l tank which gives me about +1200km but will also have a jerry with in case of emergency, I'm also quite pedantic about refuelling at every opportunity regardless of the LR tank. I guess given the drop in tourist traffic, places are less likely to hold on to stock. I will try call ahead as well. I'm most concerned about the more remote Northern area as I've not ventured north of Omaruru before, so it's all unknown to me. I should probably check in with Palmwag and Etosha about their fuel supply.

P.S. I just realised you're Chris from Instagram, I think we've been following each other there for a few years.
    Last edited by roscoeZA; 2021/09/05 at 08:59 AM.

Thanks for the advice Chris, appreciate it! The only thing standing between us and the border is that negative PCR test on Friday. It really adds another layer of anxiety and excitement to the trip.

I think I need to pick up a GoPro this week, which model do you have and where did you get the accessories to attach it to your vehicle?

Yeah, I appreciate the concern about the first stretch to Aus. The plan is to leave early morning and take it slow, arriving mid afternoon. This will likely be the longest stretch of the trip and it will allow the rest of the trip to be fairly laidback. I've done Luderitz to Cape Town in 2013, Sossus to CT is crazy .

On fuel, I have a LR 165l tank which gives me about +1200km but will also have a jerry with in case of emergency, I'm also quite pedantic about refuelling at every opportunity regardless of the LR tank. I guess given the drop in tourist traffic, places are less likely to hold on to stock. I will try call ahead as well. I'm most concerned about the more remote Northern area as I've not ventured north of Omaruru before, so it's all unknown to me. I should probably check in with Palmwag and Etosha about their fuel supply.

P.S. I just realised you're Chris from Instagram, I think we've been following each other there for a few years.
    No Diesel in Etosha for 3 days now. So do not trust the supply at all main camps.
    Defender Kalahari
    Series 3 SWB
    Series 1 De Luxe Cab Pickup
    Series 1 Station Wagon 88''
    Jimny Gen4 SWAMBO

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imgreg For This Useful Post:

thanks for sharing Chris.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imgreg View Post
    No Diesel in Etosha for 3 days now. So do not trust the supply at all main camps.
    Thanks Greg,

Do you know if itís the same with petrol? Iím driving a 2.7i Hilux, so unleaded is the name of the game. Iíll have a Jerry for extra back up.

Which is the best bet should we need to venture out of the park to find some? Weíre in Etosha for 5 days and Iíll try to fill up in Palwagbefore entering the park.

Probably makes sense to minimise distances when weíre in the park too.

Just outside the von Lindequist gate on the way to okaque there is filling station Old Traders Post.
    Inside the park you have filling stations at all three camps.
    In anycase the speed limit is 60 kph so you should be Ok.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to janseekat For This Useful Post:

I use a GoPro9 and an 8, and a suction cup for mounting on the windscreen or on the bonnet, you can get them at most places that sell GoPro.

That's cool, what is your IG name?
    Last edited by kangelachris; 2021/09/06 at 10:19 AM.
    Kangela Chris
    www.kangelalife.com

Quote Originally Posted by kangelachris View Post
    I use a GoPro9 and an 8, and a suction cup for mounting on the windscreen or on the bonnet, you can get them at most places that sell GoPro.

That's cool, what is your IG name?
    Thanks, gonna head out to ORMS later in the week to pick one up.

My IG name is therolo_, I've been dormant for a while but I definitely recall the epic pics from your account there. Saw your name on your Youtube channel and thought I recognised it from somewhere.
    Last edited by roscoeZA; 2021/09/06 at 10:30 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to roscoeZA For This Useful Post:

GO Pro 10 will be out any day now!

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

No diesel or petrol at any of the 3 main camps for 3 or 4 days now. I went outside round trip of 205km from Halali to outside Andersons gate. No other complaints all good otherwise.
    Defender Kalahari
    Series 3 SWB
    Jimny Gen4 SWAMBO

27. The Following User Says Thank You to imgreg For This Useful Post:

Thanks Greg,

Do you know if itís the same with petrol? Iím driving a 2.7i Hilux, so unleaded is the name of the game. Iíll have a Jerry for extra back up.

Which is the best bet should we need to venture out of the park to find some? Weíre in Etosha for 5 days and Iíll try to fill up in Palwagbefore entering the park.

Probably makes sense to minimise distances when weíre in the park too.
    You will be fine filling up that side. Then when you near Okaukuejo then pop out the gate 17km and 5km to another trading post filling station really nice place.
    Defender Kalahari
    Series 3 SWB
    Jimny Gen4 SWAMBO

29. The Following User Says Thank You to imgreg For This Useful Post:

Sossusvlei video is up for anybody who's interested:

Kangela Chris
    www.kangelalife.com

31. The Following User Says Thank You to kangelachris For This Useful Post: