Thread: Impala potjie

Default Impala potjie

So I graciously got an impala from a friend. Shot it in the pooper so I got plenty of good meat. Since I've seen how much meat is actually on an impala's legs, I decided that it's not worth cutting off and mince it into wors so I asked the butcher to cut me some stewing meats from the shanks, which he promptly did. I don't have a lot, but enough to make a good potjie. The carcass hung for 2 weeks so it's not totally fresh, meaning that venison flavour is a little bit more prominent than I'd have liked, and I wouldn't mind getting that a bit subdued in the recipe.

Anyway, I want to make an impala potjie with it. This weekend, actually, so I'm looking for a recipe. I was wondering if I could use it like regular beef, but with the addition or red wine to kill some of the venison flavour. Typically, what I do:

1. Brown the meat with some salt, no pepper, until it is properly browned.
    2. Remove meat, add onions. Fry onions until they're clear.
    3. Add meat back, add moisture (typically beef stock) and cook the meat and onions for a good hour or two.
    4. Top with veggies, starting with the starches like potatoes and ending with mushrooms right on the end.
    5. Slowly cook until ready, typically 5~6 hours, adjusting moisture as needed.
    6. Before serving I often add a packet of oxtail soup mixed with cold water or sometimes even cream to just thicken up the potjie sauce a bit.

Potjies always come out good, but I'm not sure how to adjust this to impala. I'd like to incorporate some sweetness alongside the venison, perhaps some dried peaches and a sweet red wine, but I have no idea. I need guidance here.

So, anyone with a good recipe that's bound to work? I'll be using a flat bottomed potjie on gas (purely for simplicity).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Impala potjie

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    So I graciously got an impala from a friend. Shot it in the pooper so I got plenty of good meat. Since I've seen how much meat is actually on an impala's legs, I decided that it's not worth cutting off and mince it into wors so I asked the butcher to cut me some stewing meats from the shanks, which he promptly did. I don't have a lot, but enough to make a good potjie. The carcass hung for 2 weeks so it's not totally fresh, meaning that venison flavour is a little bit more prominent than I'd have liked, and I wouldn't mind getting that a bit subdued in the recipe.

Anyway, I want to make an impala potjie with it. This weekend, actually, so I'm looking for a recipe. I was wondering if I could use it like regular beef, but with the addition or red wine to kill some of the venison flavour. Typically, what I do:

3. Add meat back, add moisture (typically beef stock) and cook the meat and onions for a good hour or two.
    4. Top with veggies, starting with the starches like potatoes and ending with mushrooms right on the end.
    6. Before serving I often add a packet of oxtail soup mixed with cold water or sometimes even cream to just thicken up the potjie sauce a bit.

Potjies always come out good, but I'm not sure how to adjust this to impala. I'd like to incorporate some sweetness alongside the venison, perhaps some dried peaches and a sweet red wine, but I have no idea. I need guidance here.

So, anyone with a good recipe that's bound to work? I'll be using a flat bottomed potjie on gas (purely for simplicity).
    Alles is reg, behalwe die soet wyn. Liewer n appelkoos of twee. Soet wyn kan dit super vinnig oordonner, ekt dit al geleer.

Le jou vleis oornag in karringmelk, spoel dit af voor jy dit in die pot braai. Dit vat die wild smaak amper henemal weg. Dis nie n oumens storie nie.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Sal daai try, dankie. Vleis is nou in die vrieskas so ek sal maar moet uithaal binnekort neem ek aan. Sal die soetwyn los en eerder 'n gewone rooi try. Ek wil ook nie 'n super droŽ wyn try nie, ek't gesien dit maak potjies bietjie tannic, veral omdat die vleis self nie baie vet bevat nie.

Sal daai try, dankie. Vleis is nou in die vrieskas so ek sal maar moet uithaal binnekort neem ek aan. Sal die soetwyn los en eerder 'n gewone rooi try. Ek wil ook nie 'n super droŽ wyn try nie, ek't gesien dit maak potjies bietjie tannic, veral omdat die vleis self nie baie vet bevat nie.
    Jy kan ook bacon ingooi wat sal help om bietjie meer vet te gee

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Alles is reg, behalwe die soet wyn. Liewer n appelkoos of twee. Soet wyn kan dit super vinnig oordonner, ekt dit al geleer.

Le jou vleis oornag in karringmelk, spoel dit af voor jy dit in die pot braai. Dit vat die wild smaak amper henemal weg. Dis nie n oumens storie nie.
    Ipv karringmelk kan jy amazi ook gebruik.
    Baie mense gooi slaaisous wat asyn in het ook by (in die pot) om die wild smaak te breek.
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

I am going to add this to the Hunting Ethics thread.....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JadeDsantos For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    I am going to add this to the Hunting Ethics thread.....
    Considering the shot broke the femur and pelvis, shredded the large and small intestine, cut the liver in half, cut off the artery in the spine, broke the back, deflected down and punctured the heart and the lungs and she dropped right on the spot, dead before she hit the dust, I figure it'll be a good addition.

Considering the shot broke the femur and pelvis, shredded the large and small intestine, cut the liver in half, cut off the artery in the spine, broke the back, deflected down and punctured the heart and the lungs and she dropped right on the spot, dead before she hit the dust, I figure it'll be a good addition.
    I have no doubt about the quick kill, but I have never heard about guys talk about a poephol shot!

I am sure dignity should play a role in hunting ethic ha ha.

Going to the farm this weekend, will try find an impala and try out your potjie. Will just do a lungshot though.

Heh it's called a "Texas Heart Shot" in traditional terms.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

We added a can of tomatoes into our venison potjies for the ones who didn't enjoy the stringer flavor. Worked a treat for us.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

1. Brown the meat with some salt, no pepper, until it is properly browned. Add garlic, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, 6 gun grill spice (Reason for no pepper?)
    2. Remove meat, add onions. Fry onions until they're clear. Brown the meat with the onions.
    6. Before serving I often add a packet of oxtail soup mixed with cold water or sometimes even cream to just thicken up the potjie sauce a bit. Let the oxtail soup and cream cook for about an hour before serving.

Potjies always come out good, but I'm not sure how to adjust this to impala. I'd like to incorporate some sweetness (brown sugar..about a cup...depends on quantity of food) alongside the venison, perhaps some dried peaches and a sweet red wine Use about 1.5l'of beer, i make use of black label or homebrew pale ale) , but I have no idea. I need guidance here.

My 2c
    • 1960's Series 2A 88" Land-Rover powered by Isuzu C201 (ThermoKing generator motor) (Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Towing, Boat launching, Rubbish tipper, Over landing, 4x4 tracks, 4x4 obstacles, Recovery vehicle, Sunday drives and Daily drive)
    • Want to need list: Snorkel, New suspension, 35's, Custom Canvas interior, Winch, Recovery kit, Dual Battery system, Solar panel and brakes!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Splitpin For This Useful Post:

Donít worry about the game taste in a potjie. Iíve on a number of occasions served game potjie to people who donít like the game taste and they all go for seconds. If you donít say anything most people wonít even notice. But, if you want to play it safe, you can add some fat mutton to the pot. Game meat is very lean so adding some form of fat is a good idea anyway.

I like adding wine or beer before poring the stock, and I add thyme and rosemary while frying the onions.

My secret ingredient is half a teaspoon curry powder when frying the onions. Itís not enough for anyone to pick up the curry taste, but it adds a lot to the overall flavor.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hierswolf For This Useful Post:

The biggest mistake that everyone makes with venison is that they treat it different and add stuff that the family does not normally eat.

Use it exactly the same as your normal potjie meat, use the same recipe and enjoy. The only thing that you must do is to wash your meat prior to cooking. Rinse it in water till the water runs clear, 2 or 3 times should be enough.

We only eat venison at home, trust me. You can thank me later. Add marrow bones if you want to add fat.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tommyknocker For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys. I'll incorporate a bit of all of the above and let you guys know how it turns out!

Lekker geeet?
    Hoe het jy toe gemaak?
    • 1960's Series 2A 88" Land-Rover powered by Isuzu C201 (ThermoKing generator motor) (Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Towing, Boat launching, Rubbish tipper, Over landing, 4x4 tracks, 4x4 obstacles, Recovery vehicle, Sunday drives and Daily drive)
    • Want to need list: Snorkel, New suspension, 35's, Custom Canvas interior, Winch, Recovery kit, Dual Battery system, Solar panel and brakes!

Oh yes, update.

So daar was so effens meer vleis as wat ek oorspronklik gedink het. Daar was 4 pakkies skenkels en dit was nie "meestal been" soos party van hulle nie. Elkgeval, ek het die vleis in koue water afgespoel en selfs vir 'n rukkie ge-"soak" tot al die bloederigheid afgewas is. Die vleis het so gryserig vertoon daarna, en al klaar na hierdie storie was die "wild" reuk al aansienlik minder. Ek is dus oortuig daarvan dat die "wildreuk" in vleis sit in die bloederigheid in die bene, en nie in die vleis self nie. Daarna het ek die vleis in 'n groot bak gegooi en liggies bedek met maas, en dit oornag in die yskas gelos.

Volgende dag, laatoggend het ek die platboompot sommer op die gasstoof staangemaak en die vleis ingesit met 'n bodempie olie en goed warm gemaak. Die vleis het ek weer afgespoel en dit was opmerklik hoe "los" die vleis van die bene geword het. Dit het begin voel soos kalfsvleis (veal), wat my nogal opgeval het. Het ook glad nie meer soos wild geruik nie.

Met die olie warm het ek toe die vleis begin inpak, maar dit was heeltemal te veel. Die pot was halfvol net met die vleis, en het redelik water gegooi. Ek het die vleis gesout en gepeper in die pot en hom oopdeksel laat kook tot al die vloeistof opgeraak het. Toe skep ek die vleis uit en gooi twee gekapte uie in.

En het die uie so vinnig probeer braai maar die vleis het al die olie opgetrek, so toe gooi en nog olie en sit toe sommer die vleis bo-op die uie. Toe die skerp uiereuk weggaan het ek 'n halwe bottel Merlot en 'n koppie water ingegooi, die hitte afgedraai, deksel opgesit en hom gelos. Ek het so elke 30 mins gekyk hoe dit vorder en na die eerste uur toe is die voggies min, so toe top ek op met kookwater en Six Gun Grill spice (maar nie baie nie).

Na so 3 ure het die vleis mooi kleur gekry, maar dit was vreeslik taai. Ek het elke nou en dan gekyk en moes optop met bietjie water om te keer dat dit brand. 4 ure in toe het ek net 'n pakkie potjiekos-groente bo-in gegooi, nog water ingegooi, deksel opgesit en hom toe gelos.

2 ure later, net voor opdiening, het ek 'n pakkie oxtail-soppoeier in koue water gemeng, bo-oor gegooi en hom so 20 minute laat prut. Die soppoeier het amper dadelik begin skroei, en amper gebrand, maar dit het 'n fantastiese geur op die vleis gesit, wat toe teen die opdientyd bottersag was.

Ek sal dit beslis weer so doen, dalk net die vleis eers apart kook of in die drukkoker sit. 'n Potjie soos die sal in 3 ure gedoen kan word, mits die vleis sag kan kom.

Opgedien met cous-cous en genoeg tuisgemaakte Irish Red Ale dit was koningskos.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post: