Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Default Re: Nissan Triton or Mitsubishi Navara?

I am unbiased in this exchange and find it quite interesting, because in my mind: AWD means 1. a permanent set - up 2. Usually a 40/60 split in power between front and rear wheels 3. No LR but often with TC. FWD means it is selectable, gives you 50/50 split, and any combination of DL and or LR.

Not looking to enter into an argument, just finding this interesting.
    Johan Swanepoel

"Nkabe ke ngwana wa morago"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    Zilch might have been a bit of a strong word, I agree, but the main reason for going AWD was not to get off the line faster but to have better control/be safer in low grip conditions. The Audi Quattro rally car's biggest advantage was on the slippery surfaces and it is for exactly that reason the SS has the ability to go from 2WD to AWD at speed.
    You corner with your Pajero / Triton on slippery surfaces like Walter Röhrl did in the Audi Quattro and tow a trailer while doing that?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

So basically super select are for guys that have no confidence driving on a wet surface, gravel surface or towing in 2wd.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"You too need a new signature" - Hedgehog

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

If you all like SS so much, because it can shift to 4wd on the fly, what is the point of 2wd?
    Last edited by AfricainHD; 2021/08/04 at 05:47 AM.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Yet another "drain-hole" thread. This lockdown is making everybody grumpy.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    Just to be a bit pedantic, 4wd helps zilch on a drag strip, AWD on performance cars are there for cornering with better control in wet and dry conditions.

You will also not be using 4HLc under those conditions, that will be 4H with an open CDL.
    Tell that to the Golf R, Audi TTRS, GTR, etc. The AWD launch gets it out of the blocks so fast that it manages to beat more powerful cars on a 1/4 strip.

It helps less on low powered vehicles, but add a bit of power and the 2WD vehicle is at a big disadvantage off the line due to wheelspin. I'm excluding purpose built drag cars in this discussion.
    2014 Lexus RX350 EX AWD - 14.1 l/100km currently 145,000km

EX:
    2013 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS D/C - 11.8 l/100km over 243,000km
    2007 Hilux 3.0 D-4D D/C - 11.9 l/100km over 342,000km
    2001 Hilux 2.7 Raider D/C - 15.1 l/100km over 321,000km

When I walked away from my last (7th) Pajero and 21 years of Pajero ownership, the only thing I really missed was the Super Select. I have obviously now grown out of it and I must say a decent traction control on a rear-wheel drive does ease the pain a little.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    If you all like SS so much, because it can shift to 4wd on the fly, what is the point of 2wd?
    They say its the most economical way to drive the vehicle wrt fuel consumption, I would have personally scrapped the 2H mode. I dont see the need for it as I drove 99% of the time in 4wd as it really made the bakkie feel very stable and handling was great.
    Henk Stols

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Yster1979 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Yster1979 View Post
    They say its the most economical way to drive the vehicle wrt fuel consumption, I would have personally scrapped the 2H mode. I dont see the need for it as I drove 99% of the time in 4wd as it really made the bakkie feel very stable and handling was great.
    That is the thing. And I'm not even trying to be a troll. A friend of mine has done exactly what you do. He lives in 4wd now as he could not make out a difference in fuel consumption between 4h and 2wd.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

I'll weigh in as I have owned almost all possible systems (those with low range).

1. the advantage of superselect is that you can be in 4x4 on hard surfaces (like tar) without experiencing any lockup. That is it. No other benefit (to me)

2. In terms of one above, I agree, no use of having a 2H option. Fuel consumption is negligible

3. Following on 2, this is now the option on most 4x4 vehicles (OK, SUV's not double cabs) You have permanent 4wd (or AWD as some would like to call it), you can then lock the centre diff with the push of a button, making it a normal 4x4, and the low range

4. The best system I've operated is the one in my current Touareg. It is permanent 4WD. However you can select low range without centre diff locked, making it possible to manoeuvre on hard surfaces in low range. Comes in handy manoeuvring a caravan into a garage as an e.g. Then you can lock centre diff in low range. However, in lack is no centre diff lock in "high range" but the traction control makes up for it.
    Last edited by Nys; 2021/08/04 at 07:10 AM.
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    I'll weigh in as I have owned almost all possible systems (those with low range).

1. the advantage of superselect is that you can be in 4x4 on hard surfaces (like tar) without experiencing any lockup. That is it. No other benefit (to me)

2. In terms of one above, I agree, no use of having a 2H option. Fuel consumption is negligible

3. Following on 2, this is now the option on most 4x4 vehicles (OK, SUV's not double cabs) You have permanent 4wd (or AWD as some would like to call it), you can then lock the centre diff with the push of a button, making it a normal 4x4, and the low range

4. The best system I've operated is the one in my current Touareg. It is permanent 4WD. However you can select low range without centre diff locked, making it possible to manoeuvre on hard surfaces in low range. Comes in handy manoeuvring a caravan into a garage as an e.g. Then you can lock centre diff in low range. However, in lack is no centre diff lock in "high range" but the traction control makes up for it.
    By implication, you deem the Touareg's drivetrain system better than a Pajero? HOW DARE YOU MAN!
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"You too need a new signature" - Hedgehog

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Right. I think I have it now.

SS is wannabe AWD with CDL and low range. Wannabe because it has a 2wd option which nobody seems to use. But, should one want to use 2wd, which nobody does, one can switch from 4H to 2H at drag strip speeds on tar roads whilst towing your boat.

That makes sense...

I ask again - what is so special about SS ? That you can shift between 2H and 4H at speed like any other transfer ? Except one can do so on sealed roads too ?

Nevermind.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    (Not my oinion, but somebody who possibly knows a few things about 4x4 systems)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wapcar.my/news/698/amp
    He might know what he is talking about when discussing Super Select, but he is wrong about Toyota's A-Trac. It works on the front axles as well when in 4L.

I also don't see why all d/c and bakkie based suv's don't just have a permanent 4wd that can lock the center diff on low traction surfaces. My dad drives a 4.0 Fortuner first generation, this is exactly how it's drivetrain works. Is there really a need for selectable 2wd? Does it make a real difference consumption wise and is it more expensive to produce a system with permanent 4wd with center diff lock and low range?
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

My vorige Pathfinder was een van die beste/lekkerste karre wat ek nog gehad het. Dit kon net soos my huidige PS na 4H gaan on the fly (kan net onthou tot op watter spoed nie), maar dit was meer gemaklik, meer ruimte, beter klank, ligter op diesel en mooier - my opinie! As jy die Pathfinder en PS kan saamgooi, sal dit vir my die best of both worlds wees. Ek kon nog nooit regtig die verskil tussen die PS se super select en die Pathfinder se sisteem verstaan ie - vir my was dit dieselfde.
    Carl Breytenbach

11 Pajero Sport 3.2 Auto
    15 Volvo V40 D3
    Echo 3.5 (Ex Echo 1 Modified)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to breyts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    I also don't see why all d/c and bakkie based suv's don't just have a permanent 4wd that can lock the center diff on low traction surfaces. My dad drives a 4.0 Fortuner first generation, this is exactly how it's drivetrain works. Is there really a need for selectable 2wd? Does it make a real difference consumption wise and is it more expensive to produce a system with permanent 4wd with center diff lock and low range?
    Which begs the question, why did Toyota go back to traditional 4x4 system after the first gen Fortuner
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Yet another "drain-hole" thread. This lockdown is making everybody grumpy.
    Yes. Pissing contests everywhere. Wouldn't really call it a community. If the mitsu guys are going to miss their SS, drivertrain and engines, let it be.

Its guys with small sausages that downplay another man's vehicle of choice.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

2WD saves fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post

Which begs the question, why did Toyota go back to traditional 4x4 system after the first gen Fortuner
    I suspect costs... Most Fortuner drivers did not even knew their Fortuner was AWD (previous gen.)
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 Auto Diesel

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Yes. Pissing contests everywhere. Wouldn't really call it a community. If the mitsu guys are going to miss their SS, drivertrain and engines, let it be.

Its guys with small sausages that downplay another man's vehicle of choice.
    Steady now, young Padiwan. The post was made in the general section. Not in the protected game Mitsubishi section, so I think all are entitled to their opinions.

I have regularly waded through various posts punting Super Select. I was just curious what made it so awesome, and why it would be a deal breaker. I must admit, I was expecting more. I was disapppinted. I am no longer going to be recommending second hand Pajeros in future. I will now recommend Amaroks.

Your final comment can cut both ways. The huge bitchiness about Mitsu vs Nissan can potentially be seen in a similar light. But I have not seen people getting their knickers in a knot.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast