Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Solar system for my 40l Engel Fridge

Quote Originally Posted by Viertrek View Post
    On what type of battery did you made above mentioned finding?
    High cycle/semi deep cycle
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Just did an intense, confusing, understandable read wrt Mppt vs PWM. Basically the Mppt comes out tops when low sunlight vs PWM and...........
    I would agree. MPPT is usually more expensive than PWM hence Fluffy's post. The OP ask what is needed and at a budget. A panel plus PWM controller and a high cycle battery will do the job for his weekend needs for the least money.

Everything else will add extra cost.

If I was asked for a combined vehicle/solar system I would recommend the WRND and a lithium battery.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    You want the worlds best, future proof, bullet proof, fool proof, all singing and dancing system - easy give me 25 minutes and an unlimited budget.

So lets design some systems. Lets call them.

1/. Bare Bones Weekender Starter Kit.

2/. Regular User "It works just fine" Kit.

3/. Regular user "Extended Stay" Kit.

4/. Regular user "Extended Stay with lots of Ice" Kit.

5/. Expert User "Mines better than yours" Kit.
    This would be great to use as a reference

Agree, Fluffy will appreciate that.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

My 2c worth . . . .

Yagni. You don't need the solar.

You have the Engel 40L, advertised as having the lowest power draw of any 40L fridge. So do I

Assuming:
    • Camping only for a weekend - +- Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon - 2 days
    • Only running the fridge and charging a cell phone from the battery, nothing else
    • Fridge running at 1įC
    • Fridge pre-cooled at start of trip ie most stuff packed into it the day before
    • Fridge is mostly full, not mostly empty (requires less cooling)
    • Battery is deep-cycle or lithium, not starter, which can only be safely discharged by about 15% - as far as I know
    • You have an ordinary battery charger to charge the battery up before and after the weekend

In mid-winter, I went camping and ran exactly the above for 3 days and used 28% of my 108Ah battery. 2 days camping, 1 day battery & fridge sitting in car at home.
    I also did not re-connect the fridge to the car once I started the weekend. I was experimenting to see how much power would be used.
    If I had plugged the fridge into the car while driving during the weekend and on the way home, the power draw from my 108Ah would've been reduced, maybe down to 15% or less for 2 days. I did turn the fridge down at night to +- 4įC.

In mid-summer, I imagine the power usage may double or triple. If so, still within the capabilities of a lead acid deep-cycle.

You could charge up the battery before the weekend, have the fridge connected to the car whenever you drive, charge the battery when you get back home, and you should be fine.

PS

I advise not to use a cigar lighter plug from your fridge. Hella and BH give stronger, more reliable and better connections, less voltage drop therefore reduced power draw.
    Stuart

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 4.7L V8

7. The Following User Says Thank You to slodj For This Useful Post:

Use the previous posts info at your peril.

It is just so incorrect on so many issues and facts.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

You want the worlds best, future proof, bullet proof, fool proof, all singing and dancing system - easy give me 25 minutes and an unlimited budget.

So lets design some systems. Lets call them.

1/. Bare Bones Weekender Starter Kit.

2/. Regular User "It works just fine" Kit.

3/. Regular user "Extended Stay" Kit.

4/. Regular user "Extended Stay with lots of Ice" Kit.

5/. Expert User "Mines better than yours" Kit.
    Yip, that sums it up nicely, I went from 1 to 4 rapidly....mostly due to running out at some point. I must admit had some school fees along the way....

As for 5, not me....

Looking forward to some practical inputs from forumites on 1 to 4
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/08/09 at 09:14 AM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 126 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 125 000 km

My set up for now due to budget will be... and advice would be appreciated. Maybe good advice for OP.

1) buy one of those portable jump start hand held packs for just in case.

2) connect up a solinoid from crank battery with correct wiring to auxiliary battery. Connect a bypass switch to energies solinoid incase of emergency.

3) connect up fridge to auxiliary battery.

When driving, auxiliary will get charged. When in camp site, run off auxiliary. If staying longer than a weekend, switch other battery in ie both batteries will run in parallel ie 12v total but double Amp hours. If crank battery gets low and won't start vehicle. Your portable jump start will do the trick. Save up to buy solar panel at latter date. Hint.. If you camping at power supplied camp sites, then forget the solar panels, charge controllers etc. I'm open to corrections.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    My set up for now due to budget will be... and advice would be appreciated. Maybe good advice for OP.

1) buy one of those portable jump start hand held packs for just in case.

2) connect up a solinoid from crank battery with correct wiring to auxiliary battery. Connect a bypass switch to energies solinoid incase of emergency.

3) connect up fridge to auxiliary battery.

When driving, auxiliary will get charged. When in camp site, run off auxiliary. If staying longer than a weekend, switch other battery in ie both batteries will run in parallel ie 12v total but double Amp hours. If crank battery gets low and won't start vehicle. Your portable jump start will do the trick. Save up to buy solar panel at latter date. Hint.. If you camping at power supplied camp sites, then forget the solar panels, charge controllers etc. I'm open to corrections.

Agreed, that's a budget start - and to keep down the costs use an el cheapo starter battery as aux. (pref same Ah size as main)

Then as your needs change, learn and build from there...
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/08/09 at 11:01 AM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 126 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 125 000 km

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

..Engel 40L, advertised as having the lowest power draw of any 40L fridge."

Might be but my one even after a service and replacement of some thingie runs twice the amount of time my other fridges do under the same conditions.
    The waeco is also much faster to reach any minus temperature.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Quote Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
    I thought that one cannot use voltage to determine SOC on a lithium battery
    No mention of this on installation except that you cannot use the NL auxiliary battery monitor with a LiFeO4 battery and Blue Nova quote a number of voltage values (operating range 11.6 - 14.4). If you cannot use voltage, what do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    No mention of this on installation except that you cannot use the NL auxiliary battery monitor with a LiFeO4 battery and Blue Nova quote a number of voltage values (operating range 11.6 - 14.4). If you cannot use voltage, what do you use?
    A proper BVM or BMS.

HOWEVER even the NL monitor or other voltage device, although it won’t give you accurate SOC is still a useful indicator. You will know at a glance if the battery is OK or flat, or if the system is up, or there is a fault somewhere. It will also give you an audible alarm when the battery dies, alerting you to do something.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2021/08/10 at 09:43 AM.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Use the previous posts info at your peril.

It is just so incorrect on so many issues and facts.
    How so?
    Stuart

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 4.7L V8

A proper BVM or BMS.

HOWEVER even the NL monitor or other voltage device, although it wonít give you accurate SOC is still a useful indicator. You will know at a glance if the battery is OK or flat, or if the system is up, or there is a fault somewhere. It will also give you an audible alarm when the battery dies, alerting you to do something.
    Agree.

The other day at Garagab in Kgalagadi, I kept an eye on my auxiliary battery by not even leaving the tent. My NL battery monitor is installed in the canopy and it was possible to monitor the battery SOC at a glance by looking through the tent window and the canopy window in total darkness, during the small hours of the night when I had to go to the toilet.

Some may call it Christmas tree lights but I still find it very conveniant.

Quote Originally Posted by slodj View Post
    How so?
    OK - honestly - worst case scenario - somebody actually takes your advise.

Now don't get all steamed up. What you propose and what you have done, so have I , and probably thousands of others. With mixed results, mostly ending up in crying and warm food/drinks.

What you describe is a very very special set of circumstances, hardly your average camper. Your average camper is going to burn his fingers with this. (To be sure - he ain't gonna get frostbite digging in the fridge for ice. )

And factually there are a few mistakes here and there.

A cig lighter isn't going to cause extra power draw, its more than likely gonna do exactly the opposite. A few thousand people using the excellent Cig Lighter socket that comes with the Engel will testify. Sure, for the heavy duty user (which clearly by definition your example isn't) wire your car for an alternative arrangement. But remember, once you cut that cord and do that, your fridge is a one horse pony. You cant easily transfer it to another vehicle or lend it to somebody.

And total battery consumption for a camping weekend, with a freezer/fridge, without any charging system at all, of 15 - 23 % discharge, that means left with 75% capacity when you get home. mmm - naw - not gonna happen in typical SA conditions.

-------------------------

So in closing - your experience is pretty much that - and as valid as it comes. Good advise for general consumption - not so much.

As I said waaay back in this thread, people are going to contribute with extreme options.

At the one end is yours - no Solar, Mid-Winter, short term, hope and a prayer, cheap divorce lawyer.

At the other end is 300W of Solar, fancy dc-dc/MPPT chargers and controllers, Dual chamber fridge/freezer, Ice machine, hair dryer (for Uys), 220AH Lithium battery packs, happy wife, happy life.

-------------------------

Go in peace brother.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2021/08/10 at 02:37 PM.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3