Default Towing behind a Jurgens XT140

Good day All

I am new to this site. Found it very interesting and informative thus far.

I will value the opinions of the experts. I recently purchased a 2015 Jurgens XT140. Seeing that boating is often part of my camping experience, I am trying to establish if one can fit a towbar to the XT and tow a boat behind it (the boat and trailor is lighter than the XT but slightly longer). I assume that the XT's chassis is strong enough? I have towed the same boat behind my Penta in the past but didnt have the tow bar fitted myself.

Any XT owners here who has fitted a towbar to their XT and towed something heavier than a small luggage trailor?

Your comments will help me to make an informed decision.

Default Re: Towing behind a Jurgens XT140

Doubt if the chassis behind the wheels is strong enough

I would have said the same thing, I would think that the boat trailer would be better in front of the XT and use a stabilizer. AFAIK, you have to take the combined GWM and tare into consideration IRO the towing vehicle.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Thanks for your opinions gents. The combined GWM of the boat and fully loaded XT vs my towing vehilcle, should meet the legal requirements. Just based on a visual inspection and without any technical facts, the boat trailor defenitely seems alot less robust than the XT. I just reckoned (based on the aforementioned) and the fact that the XT is heavier than the boat.....the boat behind the XT makes more sence. But I cant speak from experience. I plan to have the boat trailor refurbushed....maybe I should ask the refurbisher if the boat trailor can be strengthend (if need be) to accomodate the XT behind it......

In addition, from experience only : the 1st towed trailer must have a longer hook to axle length than the 2nd towed trailer, else you looking for violent sway issues...
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 131 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 125 000 km

Does the boat trailer have brakes? What is your tow vehicle?
    Current:

2019 Kombi Trendline 2.0TDI DSG 103kW
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Auto
    2016 Metalian Maxi

Quote Originally Posted by Lappies1980 View Post
    Good day All

I am new to this site. Found it very interesting and informative thus far.

I will value the opinions of the experts. I recently purchased a 2015 Jurgens XT140. Seeing that boating is often part of my camping experience, I am trying to establish if one can fit a towbar to the XT and tow a boat behind it (the boat and trailor is lighter than the XT but slightly longer). I assume that the XT's chassis is strong enough? I have towed the same boat behind my Penta in the past but didnt have the tow bar fitted myself.

Any XT owners here who has fitted a towbar to their XT and towed something heavier than a small luggage trailor?

Your comments will help me to make an informed decision.
    Lappies, good luck. You can expect a lot of advice, comments, suggestions and contributions from many very clever people. Luckily you say you have experience of towing your boat behind a trailer, so you are aware of all the caveats. I would take the trailer to a Jurgens dealer and speak to them. They should also be able to refer you to an accredited installer.

I cannot imagine the XT will have a weaker construction than the Penta.
    Johan Swanepoel

"Nkabe ke ngwana wa morago"

Thanks for all the comments and oppinions gents. I reckon i will take the advice of chatting to the Jurgens dealers.....probably the best option for an oke like me. I will report back as a matter of interest

So, I made contact with Jurgens. They strongly discouraged me to fit a towbar to the XT for purposes of towing a boat (or anything else for that matter).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lappies1980 For This Useful Post: