Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Stolen Hilux & Accessories

Thanks for sharing, unthinkable experience. You live to tell the tale, thank heavens.
    SJ 413 - "98 model coily, until son gets license
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

Modus operandi was exactly the same in the two cases I mentioned earlier. "Police" with blue lights and some police paraphernalia pulled them off. Pull gun at last minute. Chucked them into the back of the car and drove them around to give them time to find the tracker in the Hilux's, they probably know exactly where to look. Then dropped them off in a field close to some shacks.

Not so easy to just keep on driving with hazards. Who does not remember the case where real police reckoned the school teacher was trying to evade them and once she stopped at a garage, arrested her with force after getting back up police vehicles involved.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Thanx for sharing. Can you share details of your paragliding gear? If it pops up on gumtree or something.

What an ordeal. Please make sure you deal with the trauma correctly.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Janplank View Post
    Thanx for sharing. Can you share details of your paragliding gear? If it pops up on gumtree or something.
    Wings: Swift 5, Gin Bolero
    Harnesses: Wani reversible, Skywalk Breeze, Supair Delight
    Reserves: Beamer, Pepper Light, and unknown brand

And of course radios, skydrop varios, helmets etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    What an ordeal. Please make sure you deal with the trauma correctly.
    Yeah work is arranging someone to talk to.
    Not depressed but maybe a good idea to get this revenge / playing vigilante ideas out my head.

But while it's there....going to get be something bigger / stronger and drive that motherf***rs off the road next time. I'm not going to stop doing what I love,
    which require me to drive those highways at night over weekends.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Krokonoster For This Useful Post:

whew krok, good attitude and glad you are ok, hope you get over it. The actions of the "police" fake and real, are shocking and leads me to suspect collusion although maybe just indifference, knowing they will never be disciplined. Life in Afrika.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudgrubber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    Luckily you are okay. Was a nice looking Hilux.

Don't know if this a new tactic but two "colleagues" got highjacked the past year. Pulled over by "Police" and then highjacked. One in North West and one in Mpumalanga (Hilux Extra Cab and a double cab).
    Raises the question?

Should you stop for Police or indicate to go to the nearest police station and risk getting shot while doing that?
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Krokonoster View Post
    Yeah work is arranging someone to talk to.
    Not depressed but maybe a good idea to get this revenge / playing vigilante ideas out my head.
    That is very good. I was not hijacked, but I also experienced immense anger as well as huge sense of loss. I cried for about a week. Non-stop. But being female that was not frowned upon. Looking back I realized that I somehow allowed myself to progressively work through the stages of grief and shock and eventually the anger disappeared.

My handbag and purse was in my Hilux at the time of the theft, and in a way it distracted me to have to go and get a new license, bankcards, etc. in the week afterwards.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/08/05 at 08:08 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    Raises the question?

Should you stop for Police or indicate to go to the nearest police station and risk getting shot while doing that?

This is the concern for me as well, driving the N4 in a few days time.

I think one should just keep driving with hazards on. The chances are slim that real police will shoot at you... (The chances are slim for actual police to want to pull you over for that matter!) If they do start shooting, well then I think the chances are good that you are dealing with fake cops and defensive driving is in order.

This is my plan of action in any case.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

Hectic.

Thanks for sharing your ordeal. Some good tips to share with my friends and family.

Thanks for sharing. What an ordeal.

The refusal to open cases, to my mind, makes it clear that there is collusion.

One more question, the car with blue lights was not a marked SAPS vehicle or was it?

Because that is another thing, never stop for an unmarked vehicle with just a blue light.
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    One more question, the car with blue lights was not a marked SAPS vehicle or was it?

Because that is another thing, never stop for an unmarked vehicle with just a blue light.
    How would you tell at night when they are behind you with their lights on?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    How would you tell at night when they are behind you with their lights on?
    I just saw the 7:45 and assumed it was morning. I suppose it's probably pm.

Of course it's very difficult to tell the difference at night. Probably impossible. Only chance might be when they stop behind you.
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

I think the moral of the story here is:

SAPS won't try and pull you over just for a routine check. They need to have a formal roadblock and follow the SOP for such.

You are not obligated to pull over at night if a random vehicle flashes a blue light.

Drive to the nearest SAPS station and then engage.

I think Drive Alive even got this advice from a SAPS spokesman.

And as for the Metro Cops: any one of those seen after dark is probably up to no good anyway.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Krokonoster, I'm so sorry you had to experience something so horrible. I'm delighted to hear you are going for professional help to process the trauma.

Be patient with yourself, it's going to take a while to process.

-X-

I have experienced being pulled over by police on highway at night. I slowed down and continued driving slowly until I reached the police station while they followed me. From Rigel to Garsfontein police station. The two traffic officers were not happy campers and gave me attitude and a small fine for a break light that was 'out'. But that was a small enough price for me to pay to be safe. I would rather take my chances on an angry traffic cop than the alternative.

I was working late and this was 1am in the morning, I might add. There was no way I was going to stop.

They also tried to bribe me. I was going 100 in a 120 zone because I was very tired and needed extra processing time. They accused me of speeding but I played the "Oh, can the machine be out by 20km/hour?" and they backed off.

Needless to say I was not impressed.

I would say, just slow down and drive slowly and as non-threateningly as you can to the police station. I would make that decision again.

If you have the occasion to deal with police or traffic police, please ask them to show you their official identification. I will not be able to tell if it's real or not. I would rather go to a police station and explain there.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal, one of the truly horrific sides of living in SA is that you cannot trust being pulled over by the police, real or fake.

Just something to take note of, particularly when opening cases that are purely for insurance purposes. You can report any crime at any time to any police station. Don't let them BS you that it must be reported where it happened or where you live or anything like that. Its purely a tactic to avoid doing any work. If you open a case in Musina for a crime which happened in CT it will simply be transferred by SAPS to CT.

Its unlikely any investigation will take place but that is true regardless of where and how you open a case.

Be firm but polite in your requests and if they tell you to go elsewhere get to the point of asking them to be clear that that they are refusing to assist you with opening a case. Then request name and rank.

I will bet you a lockdown beer that they will open a case for you

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Reminds me of this incident;

https://maroelamedia.co.za/nuus/sa-n...hy-self-sterf/

I just searched "Delmas" on MM and there are a lot of articles.

Krokonoster - sorry to hear of your ordeal. Sterkte!

Things like this make me gatvol.

Crime is thriving, and sometimes I wonder when is it my turn or somebody close to me! Terrible thought!

Bostoe

Thanks for sharing and wish you well. I have been reading with much interest.

A few years back I was travelling along the edge of Lesotho past Fouriesburg, etc., towards JHb. It was around midnight. My wife was fast asleep, the road was empty, my lights excellent and knowing that road very well, yes I was exceeding the speed limit. All of a sudden from nowhere blue lights were flashing behind me. He must have been travelling without lights because you can normally see a car coming up from behind. Anyway, being guilty I nearly ... myself! I was motoring! I pulled off and saw the driver get out and approach me on the drivers side. He greeted me and asked where we were going and asked for ID. He explained that that was a favourite route for stolen / hijacked vehicles. He was a genuine policeman (with very good eyesight and in a very fast car!).

What I wrestled with afterwards was how reluctantly I stopped and mainly yes, feeling guilty! All I could see was flashing blue lights and he had his headlights on bright when stopped behind me. Only once he passed the front of his car did I catch a glimpse of someone in "police type uniform". While he was talking to me, my wife got a fright when "someone" walked up to her window - it was the cops assistant!. Sure the police have to be careful when they approach a situation but I also believe that they must appreciate we are in a similar situation. I was stupid, guilty and very lucky.

I will not travel at night unless no option. I will also certainly obey the rules. I will however most likely only slow right down and proceed with hazards on to somewhere safe. If at night what about turning interior lights on for a moment so they can see who you are and what you are doing? Would it help?
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast