Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Which Pajero? Educate me please

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Uuum, that's somewhat off the mark. I have been to a few places in my travels where there are no roads, and have more than a passing acquaintance with low range. It's the lack of Hi-Lift jack jacking points that may put me off.
    But thanks for your input (as for lifting, if you had read any of my posts on lifting or aftermarket suspension, you would know that I am not a fan).
    Hi Tony, I have also been opposed to lifting my pajero but today I went ahead and lifted it 20mm front and rear (its a bit more but it will settle). I bought the new bilstein B6 shocks. The new B6 model has a snap ring for the coil seat on the front the front. This has 2 positions factory and 20mm lift. This negates the need for a spacer but allows the shock (which is the same length as factory but has more travel) to utilize more of its range of motion.

On the rear I ended up putting a 10mm Teflon spacer in on top of the coil. Again no need for longer shocks or anything like that.

I have only driven around 40km since the lift but so far I am beyond impressed by the ride quality improvement from the bilstein shocks. The car is slightly higher but I doubt the untrained eye would notice. However, it's handling is dramatically improved and it's somehow both softer and stiffer.

I must admit my old shocks were absolutely shot but I have driven our Pajero's with new shocks before and no setup we've had comes close to what I fitted today.

I kept the factory coils.

I should've done this a very long time ago and using this setup means that even in a remote location I could get a shock should I need. It's not an arbitrary length or anything.

Most 2nd hand purchases in the 180k plus region will probably require new shocks anyway so this may be the way to go. I did the fitment in the Cape but I must give a huge shoutout to Darrell from mikem suspension who organized the shocks. He was an absolute pleasure to deal with and genuinely knowledgeable which made it easy.

I don't use high lift Jack's so I'm not too clued up but the front runner pajero rock sliders have high lift points front and back and if you have a tow hitch receiver you can also get a fitting for there.

Cheers
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2021/08/06 at 11:07 PM.

I can vouch for the Bilstein shocks.
    I had them on my Gen1 and they were awesome.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

What sort of mileage will it do? If V6 Pajeros are significantly cheaper than a 3.2, stand you're servicing at dealers, you have to do some decent mileage for the diesel to be cheaper in the long run, they're not that efficient.

I really enjoyed my Gen4, but the Pajero Sport was by far my favourite. It's a different class of vehicle, but given the choice that's what I'd have every time, though both my Pajero and sport where a bit older than what you're looking at I think..
    Last edited by petermoffat; 2021/08/07 at 06:36 PM.
    Office Johnny

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold

If the 3.8V6 is a consideration, then this must be the most car for the least money - ever!
    https://www.autotrader.co.za/redirect/listing/26147289

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    If the 3.8V6 is a consideration, then this must be the most car for the least money - ever!
    https://www.autotrader.co.za/redirect/listing/26147289
    Still a damn good looking vehicle

I had a Gen3 SWB and later a Gen4 LWB both in 3.8V6 format. They are incredibly pleasant cars to live with. Before that I had a few 3.2 DiDs and the consumption difference is about 30%. The V6 has quite an expensive cambelt and sparkplug service every 90k km to consider.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2021/08/07 at 09:55 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2