Default Complex gate opener

What is the best (optimum) settings for a gate opener in a complex. Some want it to autoclose after 2 sec. Other say thats too risky. Standard mode or condominium mode?

Default Re: Complex gate opener

Quote Originally Posted by Paterkie View Post
    What is the best (optimum) settings for a gate opener in a complex. Some want it to autoclose after 2 sec. Other say thats too risky. Standard mode or condominium mode?
    Why do they say 2s is too risky? With a sensor the gate will not close until clear
    Mike Lauterbach

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Standard mode and everyone must be responsible to see that the gate is fully closed prior to driving off. We have a complex across the street from us and Iíve seen people disappear around corner and gate hasnít even triggered to close. This is the problem with complexes, your security is as good as your weakest link.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Roberto Betta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Why do they say 2s is too risky? With a sensor the gate will not close until clear
    As I understand it the gate closes automatically after 2 secs - not enough time for vehicle to enter gate opening safely. I dunno

As I understand it the gate closes automatically after 2 secs - not enough time for vehicle to enter gate opening safely. I dunno
    There are also speed options.

If the sensor has been disabled for security concerns, then 2 seconds will not be enough.
    Mike Lauterbach

On Centurion motors there are two "options". Auto-close and PIRAC control.

PIRAC control is via the safety beams, whereby when the beams are clear of an obstruction the gate will close. Auto-close is after a pre-set time period, irrespective of whether a vehicle or pedestrian has passed.

Enable PIRAC control with a xx seconds pre-closing delay and Auto-close with a say, 10 second delay.

The pre-closing delay is, in reality, only for residents who might be towing a trailer and to prevent the gate closing when the beam circuit closes over the disselboom. In my experience 1-2 seconds is sufficient.

The auto-close delay is to ensure that the gate closes automatically even if the beams weren't triggered. i.e. somebody pressing a remote but not actually entering or leaving within the auto-close time period.

Condominium mode just means the (onboard) receiver will not accept opening inputs until the gate is fully closed. This is often confusing to residents and increases the risk of tail-gating.

Make sure the beams are as tamper proof as practically possible and consider pedestrian-only openings for domestic workers.

Single gate complexes are really difficult to manage in this regard because the system needs to be dumbed-down to cater for the village idiot(s).
    Andre Louw

4 XJs, 2 TJs, 2 KJs, 2 WJs, 2 WKs, 1 XK

2010 JKU Rubicon

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Changa Bulanga For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Changa Bulanga View Post

PIRAC control is via the safety beams, whereby when the beams are clear of an obstruction the gate will close. Auto-close is after a pre-set time period, irrespective of whether a vehicle or pedestrian has passed.

Enable PIRAC control with a xx seconds pre-closing delay and Auto-close with a say, 10 second delay.

The pre-closing delay is, in reality, only for residents who might be towing a trailer and to prevent the gate closing when the beam circuit closes over the disselboom. In my experience 1-2 seconds is sufficient.

The auto-close delay is to ensure that the gate closes automatically even if the beams weren't triggered. i.e. somebody pressing a remote but not actually entering or leaving within the auto-close time period.

Condominium mode just means the (onboard) receiver will not accept opening inputs until the gate is fully closed. This is often confusing to residents and increases the risk of tail-gating.

Make sure the beams are as tamper proof as practically possible and consider pedestrian-only openings for domestic workers.

Single gate complexes are really difficult to manage in this regard because the system needs to be dumbed-down to cater for the village idiot(s).
    Thanks a lot. This makes really sense to me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Changa Bulanga View Post

Only problem now is that closing gate can not be stopped with beam like in Autoclose - only with remote. Can be dangerous.

Only problem now is that closing gate can not be stopped with beam like in Autoclose - only with remote. Can be dangerous.
    If you cross the beam again it will open stop closing until the beam is unobstructed again. At least this is the way we have our complex set up