Thread: Water meter

Default Water meter

Howsit!

Does anybody know who sells water meters that you can install on your property, with leak detection? As in separate from the council unit.

Thanks
    1997 Discovery 1 300tdi - Pussy Galore
    1996 Discovery 1 V8 - Mr Creosote

Default Re: Water meter

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBlue42 View Post
    Howsit!

Does anybody know who sells water meters that you can install on your property, with leak detection? As in separate from the council unit.

Thanks
    Following with interest. Are you basing your query on examples you've seen before? I agree it would be great to prevent receiving a massive charge in future.
    Jannie Botha

2008 Fortuner D4D 4x4

Google flow meter. Even some hardware stores sell them but you need to look at max pressure issues. More professional stuff is sold by some valve suppliers and places like Incledon. Incledon is a supplier to plumbers and industry doing pipe installations but they will sell private.

In OP's part of the world there should be similar places.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

As a general rule check the municipal meter on a regular bases. The last number should be for liters. Make sure no taps are in use. Check the meter. If the last number moves then there is an issue. Time and it is possible to calculate the loss. The trick is to do this between 3 and 5 am. During the night pressure is higher as there are minimal flow losses. Some leaks (initially) show only at the higher pressure.

Because of municipality not fixing their pressure reducing valves I installed 6 bar pressure control box close to the meter. It is standard from plumbing suppliers. Normal geyser valve is 4 bar (400 kPa) but we have sprinkler system so I took 6 bar. Each geyser has then 4 bar PRV. I added extra valves to be able to bypass the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan777 View Post
    Following with interest. Are you basing your query on examples you've seen before? I agree it would be great to prevent receiving a massive charge in future.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jan777 View Post

So a friend of mine here used to work for a manufacturer that sells units with a leak detector which is normally put in by landlords. In Botswana, if there is a pipe leak/burst after the meter, it is the owners problem. I know somebody who had a warehouse which incurred a R100K odd bill and they switched him off until he paid. So he couldnt let the unit out to a new tenant until things were sorted out! They did give him a payment plan but still it is a sickening waste!

The units here are approximately R3300 which is not cheap but I have spent almost R15K on leaks in 7 years... just trying to see if there is something more reasonable on the market.