Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Kenya - Selfdrive trip - October '21

Quote Originally Posted by apfac View Post
    "Bored" is a very strong word while in the wilderness, specially when talking about visiting and staying at beautiful Amboseli.
    Yea, I don’t think I ever get bored in the bush. But some suggested 3-4 days is enough. And it’s probably enough to see all the highlights. But photographic opportunities everywhere! Haha

While staying outside Amboseli NP, I would recommend a day spent at the Kimana Sanctuary. https://www.kimanasanctuary.com/

The sanctuary is communally owned by 844 local Maasai, who in 1996 had the vision to set-aside this land as the very first community conservancy in Kenya. Tourism provides a much needed revenue stream for this community, and is therefore a critical incentive for preserving this important piece of land.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2021/09/15 at 09:45 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Kimana looks fantastic, thanks!
    Would you recommend any camping or day trip?
    I found the following “You can pay by mpesa only at the gate”, is it hard to get Mpesa as tourist?
    Last edited by DutchieGoingAfrica; 2021/09/15 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchieGoingAfrica View Post
    I found the following “You can pay by mpesa only at the gate”, is it hard to get Mpesa as tourist?
    I know that area, but I haven’t been since the Kimana Sanctuary was set up as a conservancy. I think it sounds wonderful either for a day trip or for camping.

MPesa is pretty simple to set up - if you buy a Kenyan SIM card (ID needed), and have the cash to load the MPesa account. When I go home to Kenya, I take an old mobile phone in to which I put a Safaricom SIM card. However, you will need the time to go to a Safaricom outlet (such as in the Hub, Karen) to get the SIM card, set up MPesa, and have Kenyan shillings cash in order to load the MPesa account with what you think you may need for your visit to Kenya. You can pay for anything from vegetables to park fees with MPesa. Mobile phone “banking” was invented in Kenya by Safaricom.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

This will be of interest to those wanting to travel from Nairobi to Amboseli NP/Kimana Sanctuary avoiding the main Nairobi-Mombasa road or the road from Namanga.

There is now an alternative route that means you do not have to go on the Mombasa Road. You can use the A104 Athi River to Namanga road, and just before you reach Kajiado, after “Enchula Resort” you can turn left onto a fully tarmacked road signposted “Imaroro D524” that connects to the C102 Emali to Loitokitok road through Selengei. Google maps will tell you that this option takes 45 mins longer than using the Mombasa Road, however, taking into account there are no trucks or traffic, it is a much safer, more scenic and often faster option.

(Note: You can join the A104 Athi River to Namanga Road via the Ngong Road or through Ongata Rongai to Kiserian, and then on to Isinya. This avoids any traffic due to the current road works on the Mombasa Road and Waiyaki Way.)

Continue on the C102 for approximately 55km, and once through the town of Isineti and out the other side you will see a fence-line on your left and then you will come to a new section of speed bumps and an elephant crossing with two sets of dangling vertical wires. Within this corridor you will see a sign on your left pointing you to the Kimana Sanctuary entrance gates down a dirt track.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2021/09/16 at 12:31 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Great camping in Kimana, just be wary of long grass... ticks... They manicure the grounds but a short walk off the path into long grass and you'll pick up a few hitchhikers.

Tey get a Riverside campsite.

While there you can ask the rangers where the Tuskers are and that should present incredible photographic opportunities. Last time we were lucky to have Tim (RIP) in the sanctuary and didn't struggle to find him, on a different trip searching for Craig in the chyulu area was thrilling!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atakanmerdin For This Useful Post:

Hello Dutchie, my husband and I just returned from our first Kenyan self-drive on Friday. I’m sharing our itinerary and some notes with you in hopes that it will give you an idea how to pace your route. As a rule, it takes much longer to drive long distances as towns and villages have speed bumps plus cows and sheep in the streets. Toilet facilities in the reserves and parks are atrocious or non-existent and at the most there are cold showers. We opted to stay in huts and bungalows instead whenever possible to have a flushing toilet and warm showers. And believe me, you will get very dusty every day. Despite those hardships and stressful driving, we enjoyed each park and had many truly amazing wildlife sightings, so it balances out. But be prepared for lots of risky driving by others, car pollution on a mega scale, garbage all over and dust galore. I’m
    still trying to come to terms with our experiences that range from horrible to wonderful!
    Have fun planning! Katrin

August 25: arrive Nairobi 5pm
    O/n Wildebeest Eco Lodge

August 26: LC rental, shopping Carrefour Hub, safaricom SIM card, drive to Sekenani Gate (236km)
    O/n Oldarpoi Mara camping (arrived just at dusk)

August 27: Mara Talek area
    Self drive (brakes fail on LC, repair in Talek)
    O/n Aruba Mara camp bush tent

August 28: Mara Talek area
    Hire guide Ken game drive Talek (highly recommend to hire a guide in Talek) amazing sightings!!!
    O/n Aruba Mara camp campsite

August 29: Mara Talek area
    Game drive with guide: Ken (amazing sightings, 2 cheetah hunts and kills, lions, even a crossing)
    O/n Bush tent upgrade

August 30: Mara Talek area
    Self drive (I find two leopards)
    O/n Aruba Mara Bush tent upgrade

August 31: Mara Talek area
    Hire guide: George (amazing sightings)
    O/n Aruba Mara Bush tent upgrade

Sept. 1: drive to Mara Triangle via Musiara gate
    O/n Eluai Public (not a great view after all, too busy, no shade)

Sept. 2: Mara Triangle
    O/n Eluai Public

Sept. 3: Mara Triangle (lioness kills baby wildebeest)
    O/n Isaiah Public (loved it in the forest, only campers there)

Sept 4: Mara Triangle (I find two leopards with zebra kill in tree)
    O/n Isaiah Public

Sept 5: Mara Triangle
    O/n Isaiah Public

Sept. 6: Drive Oloololo to Nairobi ( left 11 am, arrived after 5 pm)
    O/n Wildebeest Eco Lodge

Sept. 7: shopping Carrefour then drive to Amboseli
    (Arrived 4:30 pm, via Emali)(Nairobi to Emali=road from hell)
    O/n Kimana Community Hut (no time for park visit)

Sept. 8: game drive Amboseli
    O/n Kimana Community Hut

September 9: Game drive Amboseli (2 full days was plenty of time)
    O/n Kimana Community Hut

September 10: drive to Tsavo West, Chyulu Gate
    O/n Chyulu Public Campsite (107km) (not nice)

Sept. 11: Explore Tsavo West (amazing landscape and springs)
    O/n Chyulu Public campsite

Sept. 12: Drive C103 to Voi Gate Tsavo East NP
    Pm enter Tsavo East (three Cheetah hunt, just us)
    O/n Red Elephant Bungalow at waterhole( highly recommend)

Sept. 13. Game Drive Tsavo East
    O/n Red Elephant Lodge bungalow

Sept. 14: Covid Test Lancet Lab in Voi
    (red lions, red elephants, gerenuk etc)
    Game Drive Tsavo East
    O/n Red Elephant Lodge bungalow

Sept. 15: Drive to Nairobi, (342km) took 9 hours with two stops. Took B 50 to avoid construction by Athi River)Nairobi-Mombasa road is very dangerous and tedious with no rules followed and trucks doing risky passing, beware!
    o/n Wildebeest Eco Lodge

Sept. 16: Sheldrick’s 11 am visit ( need reservation ahead of time)
    Return car before 4 pm
    Shuttle to airport 4 pm
    Fly back to USA 10:25 pm

Last edited by KaliCA; 2021/09/21 at 04:24 AM.
    If life is a journey, be sure to take the scenic route!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KaliCA For This Useful Post:

More thoughts regarding food. We brought with us a bunch of freeze-dried meals where all you do is add hot water. Those meals came in handy on a rainy evening and when we were just too tired to properly cook a meal. Backpackers use those meals and some taste quite well, e.g. Beef Stroganoff.
    Ortelius and us both stayed just outside the Kimana gate in Amboseli. It’s two km along the fence line with the park and you will get a flush toilet and warm water even as a camper. Also there is a bar and David, the attendant is very nice and helpful. For $20 you can get a hut with a bed and flushing toilet and warm water shower. So worth it. The access road is the worst but still worth it over staying at KWS campsite.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KaliCA For This Useful Post:

I think Kali has different priorities and tolerances to ourselves. We have no problems with rustic camping.

I hope there will be a more detailed report forthcoming in due course?
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

I tried very hard to manage KaliCa’s expectations so far as facilities in campsites are concerned. We like rustic or just simple pieces of Africa.

Looking forward to KaliCa’s trip report - warts and all…

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Haha you two! I know what you mean by “rustic”. What I saw inside parks was dirty and dilapidated, and yes, I have little tolerance for that, especially when paying $30pppn inside a park. On the other hand, I payed $50 for two at Red Elephant Lodge and got a tiled shower stall with hot water shower, a bottle of drinking water to brush teeth(bonus) a comfy bed, and a flushing toilet…all that squeaky clean, you bet I will choose the latter, even if I have to sleep 5 minutes outside Tsavo East NP.
    Yes, WW tried to get us to camp in Oloololo. When long drop toilets were mentioned, I understood it to be like the ones in the CKGR, with a seat, no flushing, like we have in our NP. But no, long drop in Kenya means a hole in the ground, I discovered. And then, when I saw a gaggle of bats flying into those holes…. No thank you, I just couldn’t use those “toilets”.
    On the other hand, I liked camping on special campsites in TZ where there were no expectations of facilities at all.
    I guess we are older and spoiled, so these things are more important to us than to others.
    All that aside, we had amazing animal sightings in the Mara, we enjoyed the scenery and animals in Amboseli, loved the landscape of Tsavo West and were enchanted by red elephants and red lions in Tsavo East. We didn’t like the chaotic streets of Nairobi nor the traffic on the Mombasa road or the constant dust in Amboseli and Tsavo, but it was all part of the experience.
    The problem writing a trip report is not the writing, but the photos that need to be sorted out first. This will take some time.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KaliCA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KaliCA View Post
    Hello Dutchie, my husband and I just returned from our first Kenyan self-drive on Friday. I’m sharing our itinerary and some notes with you in hopes that it will give you an idea how to pace your route........
    Thanks a lot KaliCa. All this information is very useful. However I think we still opt for staying the first week or so in the Triangle instead of the reserve side. We love bush camping, so a spade and roll of tp is all we need haha.

few questions tho:
    1. Where did you fuel up? Serena Lodge is not giving fuel to selfdrivers atm?
    2. You hired a guide (Ken), where did you hire him and what did you pay? I'd like to drive myself but their network can be very valuable in finding the Nne Bora or some other cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    This will be of interest to those wanting to travel from Nairobi to Amboseli NP/Kimana Sanctuary avoiding the main Nairobi-Mombasa road or the road from Namanga.

There is now an alternative route that means you do not have to go on the Mombasa Road. You can use the A104 Athi River to Namanga road, and just before you reach Kajiado, after “Enchula Resort” you can turn left onto a fully tarmacked road signposted “Imaroro D524” that connects to the C102 Emali to Loitokitok road through Selengei. Google maps will tell you that this option takes 45 mins longer than using the Mombasa Road, however, taking into account there are no trucks or traffic, it is a much safer, more scenic and often faster option.
    Great info, did I highlight the right road? (Nairobi, Enchula Resort, Mashuru, Memerush, Makutano, Kimana -> Kimana Gate)
    Name:  road.png
Views: 83
Size:  276.7 KB
    Last edited by DutchieGoingAfrica; 2021/09/26 at 04:43 PM.

Dutchie

That looks like the route to me, but Atakanmerdin will know better as he has driven it.

I don’t know for sure at the moment, but I think the Serena will sell fuel to self-drivers, but only if they have had a delivery. It just depends on their deliveries. If they don’t have enough fuel, just ask the attendants and they will, in all likelihood, be able to make a plan for you. We have always been able to buy fuel at the Serena in the past pre-Covid-19, but we do also take a number of jerrycans just in case.

There is no need to hire a guide, but the Mara Triangle does offer a ranger/day guide if needed. It will cost you. I think KaliCa hired a guide from the tented camp near the Talek where they were staying.

If the Five Musketeers are in one of the northern Mara conservancies, then you will be out of luck as they are exclusively for those staying on those conservancies.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post

(Note: You can join the A104 Athi River to Namanga Road via the Ngong Road or through Ongata Rongai to Kiserian, and then on to Isinya. This avoids any traffic due to the current road works on the Mombasa Road and Waiyaki Way.)

Continue on the C102 for approximately 55km, and once through the town of Isineti and out the other side you will see a fence-line on your left and then you will come to a new section of speed bumps and an elephant crossing with two sets of dangling vertical wires. Within this corridor you will see a sign on your left pointing you to the Kimana Sanctuary entrance gates down a dirt track.
    When driving back to Nairobi from Voi, I remembered your suggestion and we did just that. Yes, it probably added more than an hour, but kept us sane and safe. It is quite a scenic, pastoral, route but be aware of many marked and unmarked speed bumps through villages which will slow you down. After Kisarian, we took the Magadi road into Langata but it was terribly clogged because it was market day. And stretches of it looked rather unsavory and shanty towns abounded. So maybe we needed to take another route back, but GPS told us to take Magadi Road. We made it safely back to Wildebeest Lodge, which is what counts.
    so thanks for that information which was very helpful.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KaliCA For This Useful Post:

Firstly, another tip. When driving to the Ranger station workshop next to the Serena Lodge, you can fill up washing water there. They save rain water and it might even be good enough to drink. We didn’t but bought all our drinking water in Nairobi in 5 liter containers. Took up a lot of space in the car for sure.
    I saw the gas pump there but did not refuel there. Don’t know if you can now. Since we needed some fruit and bread, we opted to leave Oloololo gate and drive to the little town of Mara Rianta. There is a shop for bread and drinks, even eggs, and up the hill I bought bananas, apples, and tomatoes. Someone said not to buy fuel from Bushra fuel stop but drive a little further and there is a new station on your left.
    Regarding a guide. Two of my Namibia forum friends have hired George multiple times and my UK friend recommended him since he guided her when employed at Malaika Camp. He is now free lancing and was to guide us in the Reserve. He was on a filming gig with ticttock people so his friend Ken guided us for two days, then we did one day self drive where I found a leopard with her cub myself! and then George guided us the next day. All in the Reserve side. Let me tell you, this was the best money ever spent. George wanted $25-30 for a full day and both guides got double that from us. Even though they had no radio since they were in our car, their Masai friends would keep them in the loop over the phone. We had lions on a kill, two cheetah hunting gazelles that were both successful and both had Cubs!
    then a crossing by Lookout Hill with a Croc getting a baby wildebeest, the 4 Cheetah brother coalition(number 5 left!) in morning and evening light, a pride of lions with babies, Luluka the leopard, more lions, many males, that both found on their own. They were driving off-road a lot but kept respectful distances to the cats. Other drivers were crowding them. Ken was the better Guide but less personable whereas George is very well respected among the Masai guides and is more personable. So to us, best decision ever. They were with us from 6 am to 7 pm and we shared our meals with them. Ken is a top photographer in his own right and both know how to position the car in best light and angle. Both of them would shoot with our second camera. They grew up in Talek and know the Reserve and it’s animals so well we were simply amazed. They dress in traditional Masai garb with beads and chains and all, so they look good in pics! Haha.

bushcamping: Eluai has no facilities at all and it’s a little disgusting to think that all those many campers poop around the bushes there. We did not care for that spot. A German man just wrote me that they had lions there every night not 15 m away but he didn’t like it. We didn’t have animal visits that I know of. We really liked Isaiah which is only a few km away but under trees and we felt very cozy there. Saw a civet cat and warthogs. There is a drop toilet there.
    We loved self-driving in the Triangle as the rules were clear and it did not have the rule-less feel of the Reserve. We didn’t have a guide there but had some of our best ever cat sightings on our own, plus the thousands of animals of the migration. No cheetah, though, those you will find on the reserve side. In fact, many Triangle guides came to the Reserve side especially to find Cheetah.
    Oloololo has showers and I actually took a shower there bringing my own warm water into the stall. Drop toilets there as well. But it’s very close to the Rangers quarters, but it has wonderful views over the savannah. Lots of lions around Oloololo and Governors area.
    if you have more questions, please ask, it’s very fresh on my mind.
    best, Katrin

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KaliCA For This Useful Post:

Thanks Katrin, great tips! Looks like you had another unforgettable trip! Hope we get half as lucky. (=

So if I understand correctly, there’s two fuel stations in Mara Rianta (don’t take bushra’s I see). Bread sounds good as well, we Dutchies really love our bread haha.

Where did you find Ken & George? I thought about hiring a guide too, for a day or so in the reserve. (Talek)

Lions in camp? Interesting experience to say the least. Only had hyena, elephant and hippo visiting (when in rooftop). Are there any rangers in the public campsites? Since you have to hire them for the private campsite. Not that I necessarily need them, just wondering.
    For now I booked Dirisha and probably take both Eluai and Oloololo. But since no pre booking is needed, we’ll see where the bush takes us.
    Let’s just hope I scoop around the old poo.

Fill up with borehole water at the Mara Conservancy (Triangle) HQ just near the Serena.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Bread sounds good as well, we Dutchies really love our bread haha.
    It won’t be the bread you Dutchies like - it will be too sweet. Bake your own on the campfire.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2021/09/27 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KaliCA View Post
    When driving back to Nairobi from Voi, I remembered your suggestion and we did just that. Yes, it probably added more than an hour, but kept us sane and safe. It is quite a scenic, pastoral, route but be aware of many marked and unmarked speed bumps through villages which will slow you down. After Kisarian, we took the Magadi road into Langata but it was terribly clogged because it was market day. And stretches of it looked rather unsavory and shanty towns abounded. So maybe we needed to take another route back, but GPS told us to take Magadi Road. We made it safely back to Wildebeest Lodge, which is what counts.
    so thanks for that information which was very helpful.
    Karibu!

Well, you missed the “joy” of the climb up the Ulu escarpment on the main road - with all the trucks from the port of Mombasa grinding up to all points in East and central Africa…

Ongata Rongai and the Magadi Road is something I always try to avoid. I go Kiserian, Ngong, Karen. But we all need to see the reality of life in Africa - shanty towns and all. And that’s not to say that poverty doesn’t exist in the western world - it’s just not so “in your face”.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Thanks Katrin, great tips! Looks like you had another unforgettable trip! .
    Although highly negatively charged, I firmly believe this trip will perdure on their memories longer. Instead of fading, it will just grow with time.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast