Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Kenya - Selfdrive trip - October '21

Quote Originally Posted by apfac View Post
    Although highly negatively charged, I firmly believe this trip will perdure on their memories longer. Instead of fading, it will just grow with time.
    i sincerely hope that you are correct with your prediction. This trip did have its share of negative experiences, especially concerning the road transfers between the parks and the vehicle. Wildlife, however was the best we have seen and we had great sightings. But we both agree that we will not return as self-drivers and campers to Kenya. We might revisit the Mara triangle one day but staying in a lodge. Will seeÖ.
    If life is a journey, be sure to take the scenic route!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KaliCA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    It wonít be the bread you Dutchies like - it will be too sweet. Bake your own on the campfire.
    Regarding bread: in Mara Rianta I only found pre-sliced bread in a plastic bag. But it would do in a pinch. However, the Carrefour the Hub had a great bread selection and we especially enjoyed their rolls. If you can load up on those and freeze them or pack them into ziplock bags, you will enjoy them for a week or more. They also have Gouda cheeseÖso you will feel tight at home.
    plus they have crates and plastic tubs if you need them to organize stuff.

Here is the email for George: [email protected]
    tell him Katrin and Phil from Florida sent you. Let me know if you can make contact.
    He lives in Talek and we stayed at the Aruba Mara camp so he came over to meet us and introduced us to Ken.But I was in contact with him before the trip.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KaliCA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KaliCA View Post
    This trip did have its share of negative experiences, especially concerning the road transfers between the parks and the vehicle.
    Hi Katrin,

Can you shed some light on your vehicle (negative) experiences? If it is too sensitive to publish this openly, I'd be very grateful if you can PM or mail me your observations. Thanks.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KaliCA View Post
    Regarding bread: in Mara Rianta I only found pre-sliced bread in a plastic bag. But it would do in a pinch. However, the Carrefour the Hub had a great bread selection and we especially enjoyed their rolls. If you can load up on those and freeze them or pack them into ziplock bags, you will enjoy them for a week or more. They also have Gouda cheese…so you will feel tight at home.
    plus they have crates and plastic tubs if you need them to organize stuff.

Here is the email for George: [email protected]
    tell him Katrin and Phil from Florida sent you. Let me know if you can make contact.
    He lives in Talek and we stayed at the Aruba Mara camp so he came over to meet us and introduced us to Ken.But I was in contact with him before the trip.
    Yeah, the bread won't be anywhere like our Dutch bread. Love the dry African supermarket bread, always a few bags with fungus haha. But we're resourceful
    Unfortunately I don't master the art of bread making yet. Something to learn for our next adventure.

Hopefully the freezer has space left for the bread rolls, sounds good. But currently checking out to order some meat so we're gonna have some nice braais!
    Chris from JJ referred me to; https://greenspoon.co.ke/ and https://kalimonigreens.com/ for meat. So that might be a good tip for future travelers.

I will contact George and let him know you send us, will follow up.

Btw; how did the Germans camp together with lions? they came during night? or whilst sitting at a campfire?
    I'm quite adventurous but it has it limits haha. I would sleep in the vehicle haha. Reminds me of bringing a plastic bottle in the tent )
    Last edited by DutchieGoingAfrica; 2021/09/27 at 09:45 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DutchieGoingAfrica For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DutchieGoingAfrica View Post
    Yeah, the bread won't be anywhere like our Dutch bread. Love the dry African supermarket bread, always a few bags with fungus haha. But we're resourceful
    Unfortunately I don't master the art of bread making yet. Something to learn for our next adventure.

Hopefully the freezer has space left for the bread rolls, sounds good. But currently checking out to order some meat so we're gonna have some nice braais!
    Chris from JJ referred me to; https://greenspoon.co.ke/ and https://kalimonigreens.com/ for meat. So that might be a good tip for future travelers.

I will contact George and let him know you send us, will follow up.

Btw; how did the Germans camp together with lions? they came during night? or whilst sitting at a campfire?
    I'm quite adventurous but it has it limits haha. I would sleep in the vehicle haha. Reminds me of bringing a plastic bottle in the tent )
    If you become motivated, our quick bread recipe is 3x cups flour, ĺ cup water, 2tsp salt, 2tsp yeast. Mix well, let rise for 1-2 hours. Flop into a roughly circular dough shape by pulling from the bottom/outside and flopping to the middle. Do this from 2-4 edges till you get a misshapen round loafish thing. Put in a preheated Dutch oven (what do they call Dutch ovens in Holland?) near the fire, shovel some coals on the top, none underneath.

Rotate the pot near the fire every 15min or so, refresh coals on the lid, should take about 45 min until done. Then leave out to cool and be stolen by baboons, at least that is our move. You could eat it too It took me 2x burnt loaves to get the cooking on the fire figured out, after that we've got pretty good results.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Hi Ortelius,
    after the trip Roadtrip Kenya(a Dutch outfit) sent me a feedback form which I filled out with comments and marks between 1-10. So I’m copying what I wrote back to them a week ago below.
    As you can tell, the failed breaks really put me in a negative mood towards Peter. I was upset and a little traumatized after narrowly missing crashing into the wall at Talek Gate. I never even heard a “sorry this happened “ from Peter, instead he told my husband to tell me that I should not be so dramatic about this and this can happen to any car. I didn’t think it was his place to tell a client how to react to a near disaster and basically was insulting me by telling these things to my husband. At least he took care of the brake problem quickly and he took care of us by booking a tent with a bed for us.

I know you did warn me about the gear being on a low standard, but I didn’t imagine it to be THAT low! No tea kettle? A ripped rag to take the pot without handles off the gas?

The dust accumulation might never have been a problem for you since you traveled in the wetter season and maybe the LCs you rented were newer?

When I got home I asked Peter why he didn’t send a mechanic to Voi to unlock the door. His answer? He FORGOT! He was busy with someone who did damage to their car. Hmmmmm
    but he never told me this while in Kenya.

looking forward to your thoughts about gear, vehicle, and support.

Our second major negative experience is concerning the road transfers between the parks. So dangerous and chaotic. Also the construction south of the bypass is on a major annoying level. At least now I know why so many visitors to Kenya prefer to fly to parks. They miss the poverty, shanty towns, garbage everywhere, plus cows, sheep, and donkeys in the roadway, in addition to the overloaded and many overturned trucks by the side of the road. Maybe because we are of a certain age now, we have less tolerance for chaos. I thought it would be more like Arusha and driving to the Serengeti, but no, Nairobi is a major metropolitan area with many traffic and other problems. Oh and the speed bumps! Effective but a major pain driving through villages, even out of Karen.
    other than that?we had a great trip….

here is the feedback I sent to Roadtrip Kenya

Camping gear:
    Tables are heavy wood, rickety and worn. Should be light aluminum. Sleeping bags of poor quality, thin, and ripped. Glad we brought our own. Pillows tiny and hard. Glad we brought our own. Cooking pots without handles, hard to use on gas and not get burned. We got a ripped towel to grab the pots! No tea kettle provided. Why? Silverware and utensils were good. Sleeping mats: thin and worn and one was ripped. Major pain to get a good night’s sleep on a 3cm thick foam pad. Sorry we did not bring our own. No crates or boxes for kitchen provided. We got a used sponge and used dishwashing paste!

Support Team:
    All communication with Bram was fine. Okke was lecturing me about my business-like and firm tone as being negative and mistrusting. Did not appreciate that at all. Also, Okke wanted Euro transferred, after we had agreed on paying in cash and in dollars.

Vehicle:
    Breaks failed and all brake fluid came out as we approached Talek Gate. Drove through barrier and narrowly missed hitting the building. Peter Kipto did not show any sympathy for this near-disaster, and was lecturing me how I should feel and how this is part of what can go wrong in a car. Did not appreciate his chiding me on how I should react in his opinion. He did resolve the brake issue very fast and pay the fee for the damaged barrier. He also payed for us to sleep in a better tent at Aruba Mara Lodge, which we greatly appreciated.
    After specifically asking for the tent and poles to be checked before the hand-over of the LC, we got a mismatched tent, poles, and tent cover. And naturally, the first night putting up this tent was a disaster. Peter had Ken drive from Nairobi to Talek to deliver a nice tent that had all the matching pieces. This mishap could have easily been avoided, had he checked the tent gear in Nairobi.
    Side door behind passenger seat would not lock but then on September 11, it locked for good and could not be unlocked. So we had to do gymnastics to access the gear in the middle. We are 70 and 65 years old! I texted Peter right away and said that we would be in Voi starting Sunday. He totally dropped the issue and never got back to me about a plan to get the door unlocked. A mechanic could have easily come to the lodge in Voi where we were staying. So for the rest of the trip we were major inconvenienced having a locked middle door and access was restricted. We are disappointed in Peter for not solving this problem. It is still not clear to us why he never sent a mechanic.
    At the end of the trip, he did not come to the lodge himself to talk to us and take back the car, but rather sent two other people. Why?

We understood that we would get an older vehicle. However, once we got to dusty Amboseli and the Tsavo parks, we saw how you neglected to keep the seals (weather stripping) around all the doors air-tight. This caused so much dust to accumulate inside the vehicle, and everything was covered in red dirt, bags, mats etc. so that each time we needed gear, it had to be wiped off. This was really very tiresome and tight seals would avoid this problem.

Camping gear should be updated and replaced.
    Coolbox was supposed to be connected to second battery. However, every morning the temperature gauge would show between 11 and 13 C and would not keep meat frozen. Peter said that this is normal and would save energy. We don’t agree.

Our bottom line feeling is that we paid you a great deal of money for substandard camping gear and got a Land Cruiser with some problems. Sadly, we can not recommend your company to anyone, and after this experience, we would not rent from you again.

Here is what we paid for our LC rental and gear:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KaliCA; 2021/09/27 at 10:28 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KaliCA For This Useful Post:

Hi Dutchie, only a few days to go before your trip starts, you must be exceptionally excited. We too have been planning a trip to East Africa, probably 7 months long, due to Covid this is only likely to happen in 2023. I’m certain you can tell from the different responses to your queries that we all have vastly different expectations out of the things we do in life. This certainly applies to your forthcoming trip. I hasten to add that I’m not saying that one is right and one is wrong or that one is good and one is bad, they are just different ….… ”one man’s meat is another man’s poison”.

In my personal experience I think that at the end of the day we all remember the good times in life and move on from negative experiences. Maybe we learn from the bad experiences. This got me thinking if you were to ask me to recall the worst 5 and the best 5 experiences of my life I would find it difficult to list these, I honestly can’t recall the worst 5 whereas I don’t think that I could limit the best to only 5, okay maybe my wedding day (Linda might read this) and the birth of our daughters, but only 5, absolutely impossible. Have a great trip and look forward to your updates/trip reports. Safari njema (I think that is the expression) John
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/09/28 at 04:48 AM.
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Kamba 2" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Hi Dutchie, just had a conversation with George and he is looking forward to you contacting him. Hopefully you can work something out with him or Ken. Even though they have some guests, itís still not as busy as they are used to and they need the income.
    As far as the German guy and lions on Eluai, he just wrote that his evenings were not relaxed with the lions so close by. Definitely take a bottle with you in the tentÖ just in case. We cooked our meat in the afternoon, just so we didnít have to worry about cooking and animals at the same time. I hope you are aware that East Africa does it have a Braai culture the way Southern Africa does. No grills provided. Just a firepit if at all. I didnít see anybody making a fire or grilling over a fire. We used gas to cook our meals.
    Also, there are no Rangers present at either public campsites. I guess they figure that if anyone needs help, the Ranger station at Oloololo is very close by and at Eluai and Iseyah just a few km away.
    Hope you will enjoy your trip. Are you still renting from 4x4 Kenya?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KaliCA For This Useful Post:

Yes, I think I have to braai right on the firepit. No problem if I can find a braai grid at The Hub.

And yes, we’re still renting from 4x4-Kenya. My fellow countrymen are too expensive imo. Will let you know my experiences!

cheers,
    Stefan
    Last edited by DutchieGoingAfrica; 2021/09/28 at 08:40 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DutchieGoingAfrica For This Useful Post:

Stefan,

Wishing the two you a safe flight!

Keep us posted as you go along.

Wishing you happy landing in Kenya and an overall great trip!
    you sound a bit younger than us and maybe the traffic chaos will not bother you as much. Hoping too, that your vehicle will be in excellent condition and get you safely to the many animals just waiting for you to show themselves.
    Iíd be interested to learn if there are still crossings going on now in early October.
    safai nejima!

Hi all!
    small update: still alive, car is doing well (absolute beast) and already great sightings.
    Managed to see 3 crossings so far, plenty of lions, a cheetah and even 2 servals!

Typing this @Dirisha campsite, stunning spot on the river banks. Hippos just got into the water again and the buffalos dissapeared into the forest. 10/10 would recommend!

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DutchieGoingAfrica For This Useful Post:

Hi all!
    small update: still alive, car is doing well (absolute beast) and already great sightings.
    Managed to see 3 crossings so far, plenty of lions, a cheetah and even 2 servals!

Typing this @Dirisha campsite, stunning spot on the river banks. Hippos just got into the water again and the buffalos dissapeared into the forest. 10/10 would recommend!
    Hello Dutchie!
    so good to hear that your car is great and that your sightings have been wonderful! I know exactly where you are as we had lunch on Dirisha. Itís a great spot to be sure.
    Two more tips: Maybe you want to try and find the leopard mother and her cub that we spend a lot of time with. I think leopards have territories so maybe you will be lucky. Along the same track, we found lions as well.
    Directions: from Dirisha, go south to the 4way junction up on the hill and choose the main road west, towards the escarpment. You will get to the first junction called Ngiro-are junction. Donít turn left but keep going straight until you see the first track on your left. Take this and our lions were less than 1 km in, but the leopard is further back about 2.5 in. First time she came off a tree and second time, we had her and her cub for three hours in and out of tree with her zebra kill. There are a lot of single trees back there, so look for any kill, but we also saw them in the tall grass closer to the little river.
    Pride of lion in SW corner of the Triangle: for their approximate location go back to Ngiro are junction, make a right and head on the main road west towards the escarpment. The pride has been spotted around the next junction where you can go straight to the Ranger station or hang a left down towards a river, less than 1 km. We saw them after you make a left, to the left of the road lounging before the little forest that is lining the river. Then they crossed the river and we found them again on the other side of the forest. Of course, they wonít be there exactly but check around the area between the junction and both sides of the river. If you Ford the river and continue uphill, we also had luck seeing more lions under a single tree there with a kill.
    hope you get lucky!
    i think I forgot to mention that when we drove to Oloololo from Talek, we drove via the Musiara gate. There is the continuation of the swamps you see around Governors Camp in the triangle. Did not have time to check them out, but if you try a few stores in Mara Rianta and then again in Talek, you may be able to stock up AND do game driving in this corner of the Reserve. I think the famous Marsh Pride is around there.
    apfac was correct, I canít put our trip out of my mind, but have been pondering many aspects of it. One thing is for sure, we loved the Triangle! Oh, and did you see the crossings below Serena Lodge? Did herds go back into Reserve? Will you meet up with George?
    Wishing you a wonderful time and great sightings!
    Katrin

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KaliCA For This Useful Post:

Dear all,

We are back home since Monday. And our trip was absolutely fantastic!

The trip ended up a bit different as we first decided. It went as the following

1. Narok
    2. Eluai Public Campsite - Mara Triangle
    3. Dirisha - Mara Triangle
    4. Dirisha - Mara Triangle
    5. Dirisha - Mara Triangle
    6. Dirisha - Mara Triangle
    7. Dirisha - Mara Triangle
    8. Talek Bush Camp Mara Reserve
    9. Talek Bush Camp Mara Reserve
    10. Talek Bush Camp Mara Reserve
    11. Talek Bush Camp Mara Reserve
    12. Talek Bush Camp Mara Reserve
    13. Nairobi
    14. Voi Safari Lodge - Tsavo East
    15. Ndololo Public Campsite - Tsavo East
    16. Ndololo Public Campsite - Tsavo East
    17. Kamboyo Public Campsite - Tsavo West
    18. Tsavo Inn - Mtito Andei (car breakdown)
    19. Kibo Safari Camp - Amboseli
    20. Kibo Safari Camp - Amboseli
    21. Kibo Safari Camp - Amboseli
    22. Kibo Safari Camp - Amboseli
    23. Flight back home...

We were lucky to see 17 cheetahs (incl Nne Bora hunt/kill), 9 leopards and way to many lions. Only 2 gamedrives without running into them haha.

Will update later with more detailed trip report!

Btw; I can definitely recommend the scenic/quite route to Kajiado, itís very quiet and the road is in great shape. You can even find some giraffes and gazelles along the road. We drove in 5 hours from Kimana gate to Jomo Kenyatta Intl. Airport, including a 15-20 min stop at Shell Kajiado (10/10 would go for a milkshake)

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DutchieGoingAfrica For This Useful Post:

Dear all,

We are back home since Monday. And our trip was absolutely fantastic!

The trip ended up a bit different as we first decided. It went as the following

1. Narok
    2. Eluai Public Campsite - Mara Triangle
    3. Dirisha - Mara Triangle
    4. Dirisha - Mara Triangle
    5. Dirisha - Mara Triangle
    6. Dirisha - Mara Triangle
    7. Dirisha - Mara Triangle
    8. Talek Bush Camp Mara Reserve
    9. Talek Bush Camp Mara Reserve
    10. Talek Bush Camp Mara Reserve
    11. Talek Bush Camp Mara Reserve
    12. Talek Bush Camp Mara Reserve
    13. Nairobi
    14. Voi Safari Lodge - Tsavo East
    15. Ndololo Public Campsite - Tsavo East
    16. Ndololo Public Campsite - Tsavo East
    17. Kamboyo Public Campsite - Tsavo West
    18. Tsavo Inn - Mtito Andei (car breakdown)
    19. Kibo Safari Camp - Amboseli
    20. Kibo Safari Camp - Amboseli
    21. Kibo Safari Camp - Amboseli
    22. Kibo Safari Camp - Amboseli
    23. Flight back home...

We were lucky to see 17 cheetahs (incl Nne Bora hunt/kill), 9 leopards and way to many lions. Only 2 gamedrives without running into them haha.

Will update later with more detailed trip report!

Btw; I can definitely recommend the scenic/quite route to Kajiado, itís very quiet and the road is in great shape. You can even find some giraffes and gazelles along the road. We drove in 5 hours from Kimana gate to Jomo Kenyatta Intl. Airport, including a 15-20 min stop at Shell Kajiado (10/10 would go for a milkshake)

Hi Dutchie,

Glad the trip went well. By the look of it you have enjoyed The Mara.

We will definitely be waiting for a detailed report .

AP

Asante sana, Dutchie. So pleased to hear your trip was a success. Looking forward very much to hearing more about it.

Well done Dutchie, sounds like you had a fantastic trip. There is plenty of pressure on you to complete a TR, we are queuing up
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Kamba 2" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Well done Dutchie, sounds like you had a fantastic trip. There is plenty of pressure on you to complete a TR, we are queuing up
    Can I join the queue?
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

ďGreat journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you campedĒ.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Can I join the queue?
    One more in the queue. Happy to be drip fed the TR.
    Fantastic cat sightings.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to SANZ For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3